Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

Default Why is "Google Voice" only available for the iPhone & not for theiPad?

In replacing Talkatone functionality (which died on May 15th) on my iPad,
I resorted to the dual solution of Google Hangouts (for unlimited USA calls
to and from the iPad) and Google Voice (for unlimited USA SMS text to and
from the iPad).

I am telling my friends, over the phone, how to replace their talkatone
freeware functionality, but none of them could *find* the Google Voice
app for the free SMS texting.

Belatedly, I realized that Google Voice is *only* found in the "iPhone"
section of the App Store. Yet, Google Voice seems to work fine on my iPad
and on my friend's iPads, once we figured out where to find it.

My question?
Q: Why would the App Store not show Google Voice in the iPad section?
Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

In article , Pat Wilson
wrote:

My question?
Q: Why would the App Store not show Google Voice in the iPad section?

it's not a native ipad app. it runs in compatibility mode.
Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

On 05/17/2014 2:27 PM, Pat Wilson wrote:
In replacing Talkatone functionality (which died on May 15th) on my iPad,
I resorted to the dual solution of Google Hangouts (for unlimited USA calls
to and from the iPad) and Google Voice (for unlimited USA SMS text to and
from the iPad).

I am telling my friends, over the phone, how to replace their talkatone
freeware functionality, but none of them could *find* the Google Voice
app for the free SMS texting.

Belatedly, I realized that Google Voice is *only* found in the "iPhone"
section of the App Store. Yet, Google Voice seems to work fine on my iPad
and on my friend's iPads, once we figured out where to find it.

My question?
Q: Why would the App Store not show Google Voice in the iPad section?

"Free" SMS texting? TANSTAAFL!

John :-#(#

www.flippers.com
Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

nospam wrote, on Sat, 17 May 2014 17:29:30 -0400:

it's not a native ipad app. it runs in compatibility mode.

What does that mean, to a very basic user such as I am?

Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote, on Sat, 17 May 2014 16:50:49 -0700:

"Free" SMS texting? TANSTAAFL!

I had to look up TANSTAAFL, which transcribed, means, I think,
there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The SMS texting does "appear" to be free on the iPad.
a) The T-Mobile SIM card was totally free (it came with the iPad).
b) Getting free T-Mobile service (200MB/month) was also totally free.
c) Unlimited texting to the USA & from anywhere also appears to be free.

So, where is there no such thing as free here?
Did I miss something important?

Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

In article , Pat Wilson
wrote:

it's not a native ipad app. it runs in compatibility mode.

What does that mean, to a very basic user such as I am?

a native ipad app is designed for the larger display on an ipad and
will not run on an iphone at all.

an iphone app can run on the ipad in compatibility mode which is either
original size (i.e., small) the middle of the display or pixel-doubled
to fill most of the display by tapping the 2x button in the corner.

neither is ideal, but it may be acceptable, depending on the app.
Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

nospam wrote, on Sat, 17 May 2014 20:31:52 -0400:

an iphone app can run on the ipad in compatibility mode which is either
original size (i.e., small) the middle of the display or pixel-doubled
to fill most of the display by tapping the 2x button in the corner.

You are the voice of genius!

I had seen that 1X and 2X in the bottom right corner of the iPhone
Google Voice on the iPad, but didn't think anything of it.

When I pressed the 1X, it took up the middle 1/4 of the iPad screen.
When I pressed the 2X, it took up the whole screen.

The only flaw I found in the GUI was that it wouldn't rotate like
all the other apps do.

Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

On 05/17/2014 5:23 PM, Pat Wilson wrote:
John Robertson wrote, on Sat, 17 May 2014 16:50:49 -0700:

"Free" SMS texting? TANSTAAFL!

I had to look up TANSTAAFL, which transcribed, means, I think,
there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The SMS texting does "appear" to be free on the iPad.
a) The T-Mobile SIM card was totally free (it came with the iPad).
b) Getting free T-Mobile service (200MB/month) was also totally free.
c) Unlimited texting to the USA & from anywhere also appears to be free.

So, where is there no such thing as free here?
Did I miss something important?

What it means is someone is paying for this service to exist - therefore
there is a cost to you that you don't recognize at this point. You will
pay for this 'free' service somehow...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

In article , John
Robertson wrote:
On 05/17/2014 5:23 PM, Pat Wilson wrote:
John Robertson wrote, on Sat, 17 May 2014 16:50:49 -0700:

"Free" SMS texting? TANSTAAFL!

I had to look up TANSTAAFL, which transcribed, means, I think,
there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

The SMS texting does "appear" to be free on the iPad.
a) The T-Mobile SIM card was totally free (it came with the iPad).
b) Getting free T-Mobile service (200MB/month) was also totally free.
c) Unlimited texting to the USA & from anywhere also appears to be free.

So, where is there no such thing as free here?
Did I miss something important?

What it means is someone is paying for this service to exist - therefore
there is a cost to you that you don't recognize at this point. You will
pay for this 'free' service somehow...

Well, someone will pay. Usually it's advertising or over-priced other
services (which you personally may not use, so other people are paying
for your "free" service), or in some cases it may be paid for by the
tax-payers or as a corporate tax-write-off.
Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson wrote, on Sat, 17 May 2014 22:18:04 -0700:

What it means is someone is paying for this service to exist - therefore
there is a cost to you that you don't recognize at this point. You will
pay for this 'free' service somehow...

OK. I do agree that the phone calls & SMS must cost something to someone.

Are we to assume then, that Google must be "paying" for all my phone calls
and SMS texts?

Who does Google pay?
What is Google planning to do in order to recoup those costs?

Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

John Robertson kom med følgende:

"Free" SMS texting? TANSTAAFL!

John :-#(#

The price of SMS is what people are willing to pay.
SMS are sent over a channel which is pretty much idle except when the
phone is ringing.
One second of talk uses more data than 50 SMS'es.
In the beginning SMS'es were free, but then the phone companies
discovered people were willing to pay.
An ordinary 1TB harddisk can store 5000000000 sms'es, so storage price
is negligent too.

--
Husk kørelys bagpå, hvis din bilfabrikant har taget den idiotiske
beslutning at undlade det.

Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

Pat Wilson wrote:
Are we to assume then, that Google must be "paying" for all my phone calls
and SMS texts?

Who does Google pay?
What is Google planning to do in order to recoup those costs?

Google, like every other US call provider, pays the telephone company
that "delivers" the call to your phone for it. They also get paid for
each call you receive.

They are betting on you getting more calls than you make, and the possibilty
of doing voice recognition to hear keywords so that they can sell you ads.

Geoff.

Posted to comp.mobile.ipad,alt.comp.freeware,sci.electronics.repair

Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote, on Sun, 18 May 2014 23:29:47 +0000:

Google, like every other US call provider, pays the telephone company
that "delivers" the call to your phone for it. They also get paid for
each call you receive.

Google gets PAID for every call I receive on Hangouts?