Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default On-Off-On vs. On-None-On .

I'm looking at the Mouser Electronics catalog, at DT rocker switches,
and I'm wondering what the difference is between

On-Off-On and On-None-On .

The second is used much less, but, suprisingly, it's used in the same
section, from the same maker, as the first is used.

A guy on the web says ""On-None-On" indicates there are only two rest
positions, making one connection or the other. " but again, the same
maker will have many other DT swtiches marked On-Off, so that's a little
hard to believe. Or is that false too, and None means the middle
position of the switch is not connected to the neon light in the switch,
but Off just means the other loads aren't connected?

I'm also wondering if there is a difference between

On-Off-(On) and On-Off-Mom ?

Is the second a new category for Mother's day? That's today, but I'm
pretty sure this catalog was printed years ago, since i've had it for
years. And again, Mom is used much less, but when it is used, it's
the same maker and the same section where (On) is used.

If one maker uses both terms, it seems like, in both cases here, they
might have different meanings, but I can't think of any.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5/14/2014 3:42 PM, micky wrote:
I'm looking at the Mouser Electronics catalog, at DT rocker switches,
and I'm wondering what the difference is between

On-Off-On and On-None-On .

The second is used much less, but, suprisingly, it's used in the same
section, from the same maker, as the first is used.

A guy on the web says ""On-None-On" indicates there are only two rest
positions, making one connection or the other. " but again, the same
maker will have many other DT swtiches marked On-Off, so that's a little
hard to believe. Or is that false too, and None means the middle
position of the switch is not connected to the neon light in the switch,
but Off just means the other loads aren't connected?

I'm also wondering if there is a difference between

On-Off-(On) and On-Off-Mom ?

Mom is spring return.

Is the second a new category for Mother's day? That's today, but I'm
pretty sure this catalog was printed years ago, since i've had it for
years. And again, Mom is used much less, but when it is used, it's
the same maker and the same section where (On) is used.

If one maker uses both terms, it seems like, in both cases here, they
might have different meanings, but I can't think of any.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I raised this issue sometime last year. The terminology can be confusing.

ON-OFF-ON means the switch has three positions. In the center position, none
of the contacts is closed.

An ON-(none)-ON switch is a regular DPDT switch. It has no central third
position.

Does this make sense?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"micky"

A guy on the web says ""On-None-On" indicates there are only two rest
positions, making one connection or the other. " but again, the same
maker will have many other DT swtiches marked On-Off, so that's a little
hard to believe.

** "On-Off " indicates the switch has two contacts ( per pole) instead of
three.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"mike" wrote in message
On 5/14/2014 3:42 PM, micky wrote:
I'm looking at the Mouser Electronics catalog, at DT rocker switches,
and I'm wondering what the difference is between

On-Off-On and On-None-On .

The second is used much less, but, suprisingly, it's used in the same
section, from the same maker, as the first is used.

A guy on the web says ""On-None-On" indicates there are only two rest
positions, making one connection or the other. " but again, the same
maker will have many other DT swtiches marked On-Off, so that's a little
hard to believe. Or is that false too, and None means the middle
position of the switch is not connected to the neon light in the switch,
but Off just means the other loads aren't connected?

I'm also wondering if there is a difference between

On-Off-(On) and On-Off-Mom ?

Mom is spring return.

As far as I have always known, so is (On) ...

Didn't we have this discussion on here a few months ago ? I seem to recall
that we didn't reach any firm conclusions except that the terms for switch
configurations that we have all known for the last 100 years or more seem to
be changing for no real reason other than the whim of certain manufacturers
?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I raised this issue sometime last year. The terminology can be confusing.

ON-OFF-ON means the switch has three positions. In the center position,
none of the contacts is closed.

An ON-(none)-ON switch is a regular DPDT switch. It has no central third
position.

Does this make sense?

Rather less than the 'proper' designation of SPDT or DPDT that most
engineers know and understand ... :-(

Why change something that had perfectly well understood meaning, for
something open to debate and needing interpretation explanation ? Makes no
sense at all to me.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

ON-OFF-ON means the switch has three positions. In the
center position, none of the contacts is closed.
An ON-(none)-ON switch is a regular DPDT switch. It has
no central third position.
Does this make sense?

Rather less than the 'proper' designation of SPDT or DPDT that
most engineers know and understand ... :-(

Somebody must have decided that all toggle switches should have a designation
for the "center" position -- even if it doesn't physically exist!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 3 Jun 2014 02:06:22 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"mike" wrote in message
[...]

I suspect that really crappy translations are the primary cause of these
weirdness.

?-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"josephkk" wrote in message

I suspect that really crappy translations are the primary cause
of these weirdness.

No, these are from American catalogs selling (mostly) American-made switches.
"Someone" decided to change the way multi-throw switches are
labeled/designated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[mom] is momentary. it returns to [off] once you let go.
on-off can be make-before-break, which is sometimes super useful, sometimes super sketchy.
on-none-on clarifies that the switch is definitely break-before-make.
It only has two positions.
on-off-on is as previously mentioned.
not sure myself about the use of brackets;
eg off-(on) versus off-on
Methinks it could be [mom] notation