Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TENMA products

I have a TENMA AC ammeter which has gotten only light use, but seems to be
okay.

MCM has the 72-8155 LCR meter on sale for $40. I could use one, but wouldn't
be using it often enough to justify something more expensive. Anyone have
experience, good or bad, with TENMA stuff?

One of MCM's reviewers -- who otherwise liked this product -- complained that
the inductance measurements were made at 1kHz. Because the unit measures the
inductor's /impedance/ and /resistance/, then /calculates/ its reactance,
there are potential accuracy problems when the resistance and impedance are of
comparable magnitude.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."
-- Edwin Land

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message ...

I have a TENMA AC ammeter which has gotten only light use, but seems to be
okay.

MCM has the 72-8155 LCR meter on sale for $40. I could use one, but wouldn't
be using it often enough to justify something more expensive. Anyone have
experience, good or bad, with TENMA stuff?

One of MCM's reviewers -- who otherwise liked this product -- complained
that
the inductance measurements were made at 1kHz. Because the unit measures the
inductor's /impedance/ and /resistance/, then /calculates/ its reactance,
there are potential accuracy problems when the resistance and impedance are
of
comparable magnitude.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."
-- Edwin Land

If there product fails, they will not fix it or sell you parts.

Shaun

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

If there product fails, they will not fix it or sell you parts.

Where "there"?

Since there obviously lacking, their ought to be continuing education
classes where the poorly educated can improve they're language skills.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, May 8, 2014 4:18:00 PM UTC-4, William Sommerwerck wrote:
I have a TENMA AC ammeter which has gotten only light use, but seems to be

okay.

MCM has the 72-8155 LCR meter on sale for $40. I could use one, but wouldn't

be using it often enough to justify something more expensive. Anyone have

experience, good or bad, with TENMA stuff?

One of MCM's reviewers -- who otherwise liked this product -- complained that
the inductance measurements were made at 1kHz. Because the unit measures the
inductor's /impedance/ and /resistance/, then /calculates/ its reactance,
there are potential accuracy problems when the resistance and impedance are of
comparable magnitude.

It's not at all clear to me if Tenma makes their own stuff, or if they are just rebranding other peoples things. Maybe both. In any case the quality of one product may have nothing to do with another.

George H.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."

-- Edwin Land

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Shaun" wrote in message ...

If there product fails, they will not fix it or sell you parts.

MCM has a 365-day warranty.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/produc...-8155-/72-8155

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I think Tenma is just a name. See the post about the "hung chang" scope or whatever. I got one of thoise and really, it's not bad. It's only a 20 Mhz but it is fine for general audio work. It triggers OK and there are no funky abberations in its operation or anyhting. It is at least as good as the B & K.

I also have their soldering station, you would probably would recognize it under several brand names as well. Hey, it works and is works well. Sooner or later I'll have to get a Hakko or something, but for now this is just fine.

If the price is right, and they accept returns, what's to lose ? Somewhere you should be able to find some precision caps and coils to test. If the thing reads within reason, there is no reason to be picky about where it is built. them days are over.

(mini rant section)
the time to worry about where things are built was back in about 1978 or so.. When people bought the Sanyon TV for $239 instead of the Zenith or RCA for $279, they spoke in the loudest voice possible to the manufacturers. Cost is King. The manufacturers responded and now none of these things are made domestically.

That forty bucks is what happened to the economy.
(/mini rant section)

With the cost of what we have to service dropping, cheap test equipment is a good thing - for the bottom line.

I see how using 1 Khz could be not quite optimum for these measurements. Depends on the range. For RF coils, and caps down in the low PF range, I can see problems. But then if you kmnow the limitations and the pricce is right - go for it.

If you can play with it for a month and send it back, I say you got nothing to lose.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...

If the price is right, and they accept returns, what's to lose?
Somewhere you should be able to find some precision caps
and coils to test. If the thing reads within reason, there is no
reason to be picky about where it is built. them days are over.

I have some precision inductors, and I intended to do just that.

If you can play with it for a month and send it back, I say you
got nothing to lose.

True. Of course, when the shipping charges are comparable to the item's
price...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Lanzo Prazole" wrote in message
et...

If there product fails, they will not fix it or sell you parts.

Where "there"?

Since there obviously lacking, their ought to be continuing education
classes where the poorly educated can improve they're language skills.

Oh my GOD!, I made a spelling mistake, I used the wrong "their", how
horrible!
Thank you asshole for pointing out my mistake, I am sure we will all benefit
from it.

Shaun

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Oh my GOD!, I made a spelling mistake, I used the wrong "their", how
horrible! "

There their they're...

I don't call them grammar Nazis anymore because with the crop of assholes running the world today, would the Nazis really be all that much worse ?

We need a new adjective.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The faith that he had had had had no bearing on...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Here's the trademark information about Tenma:

http://electronics.zibb.com/trademark/tenma/29495179

Tenma trademark owners:

Premier Farnell Corp.
7061 E.Pleasant Valley Road
Independence, Oh 44131 US

Premier Industrial Corporation
4500 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, Oh 44103 US

Turns out Premier Farnell owns MCM Electronics:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Farnell

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message ...

Nothing will top the weirdness of when I think it was Allied
Electronics selling stuff from Radio Shack in their catalog.

At one time, Tandy owned both Allied and Radio Shack.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 12 May 2014, William Sommerwerck wrote:

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message ...
Nothing will top the weirdness of when I think it was Allied
Electronics selling stuff from Radio Shack in their catalog.

At one time, Tandy owned both Allied and Radio Shack.

But short lived. It seemed like about the time they'd finished getting
the stationary and everything to reflect the change, they were told they
couldn't actually be together, so Tandy had to sell off Allied.

You got it right though. When this has come up before, people make the
assumption that Allied bought Radio Shack, from the name.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 05/08/2014 01:18 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
I have a TENMA AC ammeter which has gotten only light use, but seems to
be okay.

MCM has the 72-8155 LCR meter on sale for $40. I could use one, but
wouldn't be using it often enough to justify something more expensive.
Anyone have experience, good or bad, with TENMA stuff?

One of MCM's reviewers -- who otherwise liked this product -- complained
that the inductance measurements were made at 1kHz. Because the unit
measures the inductor's /impedance/ and /resistance/, then /calculates/
its reactance, there are potential accuracy problems when the resistance
and impedance are of comparable magnitude.

"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right questions."
-- Edwin Land

If it's a 1 KHz square wave the harmonics go way higher. Just off the
top of my bald head...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dave" wrote in message

One of MCM's reviewers -- who otherwise liked this product -- complained
that the inductance measurements were made at 1kHz. Because the unit
measures the inductor's /impedance/ and /resistance/, then /calculates/
its reactance, there are potential accuracy problems when the resistance
and impedance are of comparable magnitude.

If it's a 1 KHz square wave the harmonics go way higher. Just off the top of
my bald head...

The reactance of an inductor or capacitor is assumed to be a value for a
single frequency.