Carol

Default HOW CAN I MANUALLY CHANGE FROM AV MODE WITH TV? HELP PLEASE?

My television remote is broke. I have no idea whether or not I can
replace it with a universal one...I intend to shop and find out...

Meanwhile, my tv is stuck in AV mode. This phillips TV does not have
any buttons other than the volume and the channel selector ON the TV
itself.

How on earth did they make a TV that can not be adjusted without the
remote? :-(

Carol
john

How on earth did they make a TV that can not be adjusted without the
remote? :-(

Why on earth did you buy a set like that .?

kip

http://www.replacementremotes.com/

Carol

Kalman Rubinson

Borrow a remote?

Kal
Jerry Greenberg

Carol wrote:

My television remote is broke. I have no idea whether or not I can
replace it with a universal one...I intend to shop and find out...

Meanwhile, my tv is stuck in AV mode. This phillips TV does not have
any buttons other than the volume and the channel selector ON the TV
itself.

How on earth did they make a TV that can not be adjusted without the
remote? :-(

Carol

You will require to have the original remote to have functionality of
the set. The universals only do the basics. With some sets, they may do
the odd feature, or part of one.

You can look up Philips, or go to a Philips dealer and order a new
remote. One thing you can first try, is to take the remote to a local
service shop and see if the tech may be able to service it for you. If
it is a cold solder, bad connection, or something basic they may be able
to service it for you. We service many of the remotes. If I can have
the parts, and the customer is willing to pay the expense, I have also
serviced them at the component level. This is usually attempted only if
the original cannot be found, and is absolutely required.

Most of the new sets coming out today, have a very limited control panel
on them. All of the operation is done on the remote. I have seen some
newer high end sets that only have channels, power, and volume in the
front. Infact, there are some low end sets that have only the power
button on them, and nothing else! This is law, or they would not have
anything at all.

Without the original remote, the set is absolutely useless! I tell
people to get a universal for doing the simple operations, and keep the
original for doing the menus and setups. This way, the universal is the
one that gets dropped, thrown around, chewed up by the dog, and etc. I
have seen remotes with dog teeth marks, and tooth indentations in them!
I cannot imagine how a remote would taste good to the dog.

--

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

Kalman Rubinson

On Fri, 11 Jul 2003 12:26:37 -0400, Jerry Greenberg
wrote:

I cannot imagine how a remote would taste good to the dog.

It's the only way he can change channels.

Kal

Carol

Thank you so much for your good advice. I received advice similar by
email. I'm going to listen to both of you: First I'm going to bring my
remote to a service center to see if it can be fixed; then if not,
I'll have to order a new one. Thanks ever so much again.

Carol

"Sofie" wrote in message ...
Carol:
Most probably you will not be happy with a universal remote. In order to
properly and easily access the menu functions you really need the "factory"
original remote control. You can buy one directly from
Philips Consumer Electronics phone: 1 800 851-8885 or
from 1-800- REMOTES (phone: 1 800 736-6837)
Usually the remotes are reasonable priced.
As a consumer you do have a choice...... next time you buy something look
for features and controls....... some models have more buttons than
others....... also, no matter what you purchase you will absolutely need
the factory remote control..... it is cheaper for the manufacturer to put
features and buttons on the remote than to provide those kinds of
adjustments on the television as a physical button or control.....
....the consumer is getting just what they want are willing to pay for......
CHEAP.
--
Best Regards,
Daniel Sofie

"Carol" wrote in message
om...
My television remote is broke. I have no idea whether or not I can
replace it with a universal one...I intend to shop and find out...

Meanwhile, my tv is stuck in AV mode. This phillips TV does not have
any buttons other than the volume and the channel selector ON the TV
itself.

How on earth did they make a TV that can not be adjusted without the
remote? :-(

Carol

bigmike

"David" wrote in message
Hint. OneForAll universal Cinema 7 and similar does do many special tv

set
functions with extra programming.

That's a fact. I have the older Cinema 6 model, but I still am able to
access most of the functions of any TV, including onscree menus, and AV
inputs. It works where most universals won't.

Hint #2, if you do buy a new Philips remote for your tv set, check at
www.i-mcm.com as they carry lots of Philips remote controls. If it is not
real inexpensive, consider still buying a $9 universal remote control for
daily channel surfing and viewing and keep the Philips one in a drawer

(with
the batteries removed and in a bad in the same drawer) for those special
occasions that you need to do one of the features the universal remote

will
not work.
David

om...

[...]