Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Another stupid question

I had a procedure done in a hospital this morning and I had been in the building for about 30 minutes before we started, when one of the nurses advised me to remove the battery from my cell phone because as she put it, "otherwise the building will kill it".

Perhaps it was coincidence but I then looked at my phone and the battery state of charge was in the toilet. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm embarrassed to even ask, was this just bull**** or is there anything to this? Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Utter baloney. How can a building absorb energy from a battery?

You just hadn't recharged your cell phone recently.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Utter baloney. How can a building absorb energy from a battery?

You just hadn't recharged your cell phone recently.

A couple of thoughts come to mind:

(1) Cellphones will tend to raise or lower their transmit power when
"talking" to the cell tower, based on signal-strength feedback
from the cell-tower controller. If the hospital building is well
shielded but not entirely radio-opaque, some cellphones might
increase their TX power to stay connected to their network, and
this could run the battery down faster than if they were out in
"clear air".

(2) The nurse might have been making up a story ("save your battery")
instead of saying something like "Please shut down your cellphone,
since we have sensitive electronic equipment in some of the rooms
around here and your phone might interfere with them." She may
have learned that people are more likely to comply with a "turn
the cellphone all the way off" request, if it's excused by a
statement that seems to be in the person's own best interest
("save your battery from being killed").

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

I had a procedure done in a hospital this morning and I had been in the
building for about 30 minutes before we started, when one of the nurses
advised me to remove the battery from my cell phone because as she put it,
"otherwise the building will kill it".

Perhaps it was coincidence but I then looked at my phone and the battery
state of charge was in the toilet. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm
embarrassed to even ask, was this just bull**** or is there anything to
this? Lenny

I regularly work a 19 hour gig under some railway arches in London. Even
though I have to make sure my phone is fully charged before I enter the
building at 2pm, it is usually pretty much on zero by the time I leave
around 9am.

I believe this is because most of the club has no cellphone signal, but
parts of it does.
So as i wander around, the phone spends most of the time using up its
battery trying to find a signal, polling the transmitter, logging on to the
system when it finds a signal, or whatever it actually does in reality when
it finds itself in such a dire constantly on/off reception situation.

Perhaps your Hospital is similar.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Some hospitals these days use wireless monitoring and can be sensitive to interference. As such, many also have shielding on the exterior walls to help reduce that interference. While the phone itself may not be in the frequency range to cause direct problems, its signals will be shielded from the outside which makes the phone search for a signal. This search uses battery power and thus will drain the battery after what appears to be a short time.

Dan

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:26:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I had a procedure done in a hospital this morning and I had been in the building for about 30 minutes before we started, when one of the nurses advised me to remove the battery from my cell phone because as she put it, "otherwise the building will kill it".

Perhaps it was coincidence but I then looked at my phone and the battery state of charge was in the toilet. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm embarrassed to even ask, was this just bull**** or is there anything to this? Lenny

You think they're not? Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I had a procedure done in a hospital this morning and I had been in the
building for about 30 minutes before we started, when one of the nurses
advised me to remove the battery from my cell phone because as she put it,
"otherwise the building will kill it".

** Just turning the phone off is enough.

Bet there is no signal in the building and / or they have jammed it.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:26:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I had a procedure done in a hospital this morning and I had been in the building for about 30 minutes before we started, when one of the nurses advised me to remove the battery from my cell phone because as she put it, "otherwise the building will kill it".

Perhaps it was coincidence but I then looked at my phone and the battery state of charge was in the toilet. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm embarrassed to even ask, was this just bull**** or is there anything to this? Lenny

How many watts does a cellphone transmitter output on full power? Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:26:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I had a procedure done in a hospital this morning and I had been in the
building for about 30 minutes before we started, when one of the nurses
advised me to remove the battery from my cell phone because as she put it,
"otherwise the building will kill it".

Perhaps it was coincidence but I then looked at my phone and the battery
state of charge was in the toilet. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm
embarrassed to even ask, was this just bull**** or is there anything to
this? Lenny

How many watts does a cellphone transmitter output on full power? Lenny

2W for 3G phones.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:26:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I had a procedure done in a hospital this morning and I had been in the building for about 30 minutes before we started, when one of the nurses advised me to remove the battery from my cell phone because as she put it, "otherwise the building will kill it".

Perhaps it was coincidence but I then looked at my phone and the battery state of charge was in the toilet. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm embarrassed to even ask, was this just bull**** or is there anything to this? Lenny

That's interesting because I usually keep my phone in my breast pocket. I don't know how I feel about the damn thing irradiating that part of my body at frequencies considered to be just below microwave while continuously stumbling around aimlessly seeking a cell tower just because I'm unfortunate enough to be in a dead spot. Maybe the answer is to just leave the miserable thing off until you really need to use it. Hey people always seemed to be able to find Perry Mason when he was on the road. He was always taking calls on other peoples phones...Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:26:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I had a procedure done in a hospital this morning and I had been in the building for about 30 minutes before we started, when one of the nurses advised me to remove the battery from my cell phone because as she put it, "otherwise the building will kill it".

Perhaps it was coincidence but I then looked at my phone and the battery state of charge was in the toilet. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm embarrassed to even ask, was this just bull**** or is there anything to this? Lenny

"Field test mode" sounds very interesting but I doubt that my Motorola Razor has that function. Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tuesday, April 1, 2014 3:26:05 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I had a procedure done in a hospital this morning and I had been in the building for about 30 minutes before we started, when one of the nurses advised me to remove the battery from my cell phone because as she put it, "otherwise the building will kill it".

Perhaps it was coincidence but I then looked at my phone and the battery state of charge was in the toilet. I know it sounds crazy, and I'm embarrassed to even ask, was this just bull**** or is there anything to this? Lenny

The phone is an old Razor with Cingular markings on it. A friend had this in his drawer for years and wasn't using it anymore. He gave it to me to replace my Razor that had hit the pavement one too many times. I used the old ATT Sim card in the Cingular phone. On boot it comes up with Cingular logos but works fine on the ATT network. The model number, (I think this is what you need to identify the phone) is: V3(G8/9/18/19). I don't know what all those number mean, perhaps you do. There are several more numbers. I can post them also if need be. Thanks, Lenny