Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default ohm meter battery

I found this circuit somewhere, (I can't remember) to replace the 1.50 volt battery in a VTVM. I have an RCA WV98C Senior Voltohmyst VTVM that is in perfect condition but doesn't get used very often. This battery retrofit circuit takes power from the 6.30 volt filament transformer and is built around an LM317. With a trim pot you set it for 1.55 volts and you never have to change a battery again. It also needs to occupy an area no larger than the battery presently does.

As much as I like keeping things original, I'm worried that the battery is going to leak and rot the inside of the unit. I was going to build the circuit but it occurred to me that I should probably be concerned about the current that the LM317 will be dissipating when the meter is used on the low ohms range. Does anyone have a feel for the size that an adequate sized heat sink should be in order to handle this? Thanks, Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03/19/2014 9:16 PM, wrote:
[...]

Hi Lenny,

I can't imagine that the 1.5V battery provided that much current for the
low ohms scale. Otherwise you would burn them out pretty quickly and
leakage would have been a real risk.

Of course you could simply put an ammeter in series with a battery and
see what is drawn, I suspect it will be under 100ma, which means you
won't need much of a heat sink - if any. 500ma would be a small finned
clip on heatsink.

If you have the schematics and remember ohms law you can figure out what
the maximum current draw is for the battery...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...

As much as I like keeping things original, I'm worried that
the battery is going to leak and rot the inside of the unit.

Only if you use a carbon-zinc cell. An alkaline cell should be fine.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
wrote in message

As much as I like keeping things original, I'm worried that
the battery is going to leak and rot the inside of the unit.

Only if you use a carbon-zinc cell. An alkaline cell should be fine.

Sadly, I see corrosion, often severe, with alkaline types as well.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

As much as I like keeping things original, I'm worried that
the battery is going to leak and rot the inside of the unit.

Only if you use a carbon-zinc cell. An alkaline cell should be fine.

Sadly, I see corrosion, often severe, with alkaline types as well.

Years ago, Duracell UK used to have an offer to repair/replace? any item
damaged by their batteries leaking. That's now gone.

Duracells leak, had to throw away a perfectly good camera :-(

--
Adrian C

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:16:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

That's correct. I've seen Energizer's and Duracell's leak. In fact I've found that Rayovac's, (the Batteries Plus house brand) are one of the worst. And along with the current crop of crap out there I find it very interesting that it's been many years since I've seen the "leak proof" guarantee printed on the batteries, and have gotten a free flashlight, or "other device" replaced because a battery leaked and ruined it. I suspect that they didn't just "forget" to put that guarantee on there....

I think that I'll try that idea of measuring the current. I suppose that I can use the chassis with an insulator as a heat sink if I determine that the device doesn't have to dissipate that much extra current. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

.com...
wrote in message

As much as I like keeping things original, I'm worried that
the battery is going to leak and rot the inside of the unit.

Only if you use a carbon-zinc cell. An alkaline cell should be fine.

Sadly, I see corrosion, often severe, with alkaline types as well.

The cell needs to be checked periodically, regardless. The mess caused by
alkaline cells is /rarely/ severe, and can /almost/ always be cleaned up.
That from a lead-acid cell destroys the metal.

We've had the Duracell/Energizer argument before. I've never had trouble with
Energizers. The only alkalines I've ever had leak were Duracells. And those
were all AAs. I've never had Duracell C or D leak.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in message
.com...
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
The cell needs to be checked periodically, regardless. The mess caused by
alkaline cells is /rarely/ severe, and can /almost/ always be cleaned up.
That from a lead-acid cell destroys the metal.

We've had the Duracell/Energizer argument before. I've never had trouble with
Energizers. The only alkalines I've ever had leak were Duracells. And those
were all AAs. I've never had Duracell C or D leak.

So how to clean up?
Flashlight with alkaline batteries permanetly now glued to aluminum
case. No solvent I have tried works. Even after cleaning the threads
on the cap and screwing the cap back on (batteries seemed dry but still
glued in place) and leaving the flashlight for a week or two, the cap
is glued back on again. A pipe wrench and vice will not turn it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 12:16:03 AM UTC-4, wrote:
That's correct. I've seen Energizer's and Duracell's leak. In fact I've found
that Rayovac's, (the Batteries Plus house brand) are one of the worst. And
along with the current crop of crap out there I find it very interesting that
it's been many years since I've seen the "leak proof" guarantee printed on
the batteries, and have gotten a free flashlight, or "other device" replaced
because a battery leaked and ruined it. I suspect that they didn't just
"forget" to put that guarantee on there....

I think that I'll try that idea of measuring the current. I suppose that I
can use the chassis with an insulator as a heat sink if I determine that the
device doesn't have to dissipate that much extra current. Lenny

Duracell is just as bad as any other.
Expensive Mamiya camera motor drive corroded, flashlight ruined, Nikon
flash corroded, etc (as they say much much more) ...
Also true for 9V duracells. They all leak! corrode!
Impossible to clean!
I had to grind off corrosion with a diamond tip rotary tool where I
could get at it. The flashlight was a total loss since I could not get
the batteries out!
no solvent worked!
Tried CLR, straight white vinegar, etc.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

As much as I like keeping things original, I'm worried that
the battery is going to leak and rot the inside of the unit.

Only if you use a carbon-zinc cell. An alkaline cell should be fine.

Sadly, I see corrosion, often severe, with alkaline types as well.

Yes.

I put alkaline in a radio, and left them there, and they leaked too. I
was certainly surprised, since it was precisely the situation I was trying
to avoid.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"OldGuy" wrote in message ...

We've had the Duracell/Energizer argument before. I've never had trouble
with Energizers. The only alkalines I've ever had leak were Duracells.
And those were all AAs. I've never had Duracell C or D leak.

So how to clean up?
Flashlight with alkaline batteries permanetly now glued to aluminum case.
No solvent I have tried works. Even after cleaning the threads on the cap
and screwing the cap back on (batteries seemed dry but still glued in place)
and leaving the flashlight for a week or two, the cap is glued back on
again. A pipe wrench and vice [sic] will not turn it.

That sounds like pathologically bad leakage.

You need something alkaline to dissolve the electrolyte. Household ammonia
usually works. It will also /at least/ discolor the aluminum.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03/20/2014 10:18 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"OldGuy" wrote in message ...

We've had the Duracell/Energizer argument before. I've never had trouble
with Energizers. The only alkalines I've ever had leak were Duracells.
And those were all AAs. I've never had Duracell C or D leak.

So how to clean up?
Flashlight with alkaline batteries permanetly now glued to aluminum
case. No solvent I have tried works. Even after cleaning the threads
on the cap and screwing the cap back on (batteries seemed dry but
still glued in place) and leaving the flashlight for a week or two,
the cap is glued back on again. A pipe wrench and vice [sic] will not
turn it.

That sounds like pathologically bad leakage.

You need something alkaline to dissolve the electrolyte. Household
ammonia usually works. It will also /at least/ discolor the aluminum.

Actually considering that the battery leaks an Alkaline, I can only
imagine that using additional alkaline will only make matters worse.

May I suggest that you try a mild ACID - vineger (clear, not malt) works
a treat for neutralizing the alkaline leakage. You may want to dilute
the viniger 50:50 with distilled (or Vancouver, BC, tap) water.

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"OldGuy" wrote in message ...

Duracell is just as bad as any other.
Expensive Mamiya camera motor drive corroded, flashlight ruined, Nikon flash
corroded, etc (as they say much much more) ...

Also true for 9V duracells. They all leak! corrode!
Impossible to clean!
I had to grind off corrosion with a diamond tip rotary tool where I
could get at it. The flashlight was a total loss since I could not get
the batteries out!
no solvent worked!
Tried CLR, straight white vinegar, etc.

I've been using alkaline batteries for decades (including nicads and NiMHs,
which are also alkaline), and have not had these sorts of problems. Yes, I
have had leakage. But it's been uncommon, and in only one case was the contact
badly damaged.

I have a Sony TFM-117WB with four Duracell C cells in it. They've been there
over a year. I checked them the other day, and they were fine.

I have never seen a 9V battery, of any chemistry, from any manufacturer, leak.

Duracell used to guarantee that their cells wouldn't leak, and would replace
or repaire damaged products. In one case, a dictating machine was cosmetically
damaged by leakage, and Duracell made good on the guarantee.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"John Robertson" wrote in message

Actually considering that the battery leaks an alkaline, I can only imagine
that using additional alkaline will only make matters worse.

He's trying to unstick the battery. You want something that will dissolve an
alkalai -- another alkali. You don't want something that might cause an
acid/base reaction.

Ammonia has always worked for me.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

As much as I like keeping things original, I'm worried that
the battery is going to leak and rot the inside of the unit.

Only if you use a carbon-zinc cell. An alkaline cell should be fine.

Sadly, I see corrosion, often severe, with alkaline types as well.

Ditto. The batteries just leaked in my p-touch printer and the gunk
weakened the battery terminals causing some to just break off where they
were bent to act as springs. The cells were energizer, and not the fake
ones from the dollar store.

high drain devices always seem more prone to leakage for some reason.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:

I've been using alkaline batteries for decades (including nicads and NiMHs,
which are also alkaline), and have not had these sorts of problems. Yes, I
have had leakage. But it's been uncommon, and in only one case was the contact
badly damaged.

I have a Sony TFM-117WB with four Duracell C cells in it. They've been there
over a year. I checked them the other day, and they were fine.

I have never seen a 9V battery, of any chemistry, from any manufacturer, leak.

Alas, I've seen leakage from pretty much every size of alkaline.

One thing I have read, is that alkalines are quite unlikely to leak if
they haven't yet been used... but that discharging them triggers an
electrochemical process that starts the leakage syndrome (swelling
and/or corrosion).

So, if you have a device which is mostly kept around as a standby
(e.g. an emergency flashlight or radio), and isn't actually being
used, then the batteries will probably be OK up through their
published shelf-life date. However, once you use the device and start
drawing the batteries down, it's best to replace them relatively soon
after the first-discharge date (e.g. a year or so).

The devices I've had which have been crudded up or damaged by alkaline
leakage all seem to be of the "light or occasional use" variety, where
the batteries are neither left in an "unused, on the shelf" state,
*or* used up and thus replaced within a couple of months.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03/20/2014 12:34 PM, David Platt wrote:
In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

For some history - back around 2004/5 I was selling some New Old Stock
Williams brand pinball and video games that had been sealed in their
factory boxes since 1980. In about 50% of the cases one or more of the
three AA alkaline batteries had leaked enough to damage the battery
holder and in a couple of cases enough to damage the logic board
slightly. These were EverReady or DuraCell batteries (both used by the
same game manufacturers).

Later I had a few more of these games (still sealed) that I sold around
2010 and 2011 - again the batteries either had or had not leaked, and
again the damage was minimal.

In a few cases the 3 batteries still held full charge - 1.56VDC!

I think the reason batteries leak is because of current flow through the
battery, in other words is the battery is sitting on a shelf it is less
likely to leak than if it is a circuit where a tiny bit of current may
flow. If batteries are damp that can lead to self conduction and leakage
too.

I have these old still charged batteries still (somewhere buried in my
shop) in a plastic bag to see how long they will last...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20/03/2014 3:16 PM, wrote:
[...]

**Crazy idea, Lenny:

Move yourself into the 1970s and buy yourself a digital multimeter. Most
of them operate on a 9 Volt battery. Replace the battery every year and
you'll be sweet. Even a US$20.00 meter will give you a vast improvement
in every performance parameter over your ancient POS, which is likely
well outside it's original performance specs.

Like this one:

http://au.mouser.com/ProductDetail/E...qaRLKRQ5wis%3d

One of my meters measures the usual Volts, Amps & Ohms AND light
intensity, sound pressure level, relative humidity and transistor gain.
I recall that it cost me AUS$50.00.

I have a nice collection of analogue meters (I recently acquired a
beautiful AVO 8 Mk7), but I never use them anymore.

Go digital. You will not be sorry.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Trevor Wilson wrote:

On 20/03/2014 3:16 PM, wrote:
[...]

Yes, he will. A VTVM has a 1 Meg resistor in the probe for DC
measurements, to keep it from affecting the circuit being tested. The
capacitance of a set of meter leads on a DVM will screw up a lot of high
impedance circuits.

Here is one of many simple conversions to replace the battery with a
regulated DC supply. You only need a few mA for the Ohm meter function
in a VTVM. I did this to several VTVMs back in the '70s.

View in a fixed-width font such as Courier.

+---+ 1N4001 TIP29
| | +-----++ C E 1.5VDC
| +---+ |+---+-----+-----\ /---------+-------o
| | +-----++ | | \ / |
6.3VAC| |+ +++ --+-- |
| | -+- | | B | |
| | 50uF -+- | | +-----+ |
| +---+ | | |1k | | |+
| | | -+- +++ | | -+-
+---+ | Gnd | | | -+-
-+- +--------+ | | 10uF
Gnd | |+ |
| -+- |
+++ -+- |
| | | 10uF |
1N4001 | | | |
+-+ | -+-
+++ | Gnd
| |
+-+ |
| | -+-
1N4001 | | Gnd
+-+
+++

-+-
Gnd

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I do own several digital voltmeters and they do have their place. You can't beat a digital for making precise measurements. But there is a bit of a sentimental value here too. I built this meter from a kit when I was a kid in 1963. Since then I've repaired a lot of TV sets and other things with it over the years, and although I don't use it much anymore it's nice to still be able to when the need arises. So just where the hell do you come off insulting me?

I'm just curious now. Did you ever try to peak or null a circuit with a digital? It's a pain in the ass. How about looking for a change in logic state? I prefer seeing an immediate change rather than watching a decay. Why don't you try going on the grid of a tube with a low impedance meter and see where that gets you? Mine has an 11 meg ohm impedance. It won't load a vacuum tube circuit. So much for my piece of **** meter, huh?

But I have a better idea Trevor. Why don't you take your prize digital you've raved about and stick it in your ass? That way you'll never lose it, and it will always be available. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

**Who insulted you and how?

I understand sentimental attachments. I still have my first multimeter.
My dad gave it to me. A Sanwa. I never use it, of course. Same deal with
my AVO 8. I bought it because I always wanted one, certainly not because
I needed it. I have some other, quite exotic and rare meters too. I
still prefer my bench meter and my Fluke.

I'm just curious now. Did you ever try to peak or null a circuit with
a digital?

**Yes. It's a doddle. Both my regular digital meters have a fast bar
graph display, along with the regular digital one. Perfect for those
times when you need to see what is happening quickly.

It's a pain in the ass. How about looking for a change in
logic state?

**Same as above.

I prefer seeing an immediate change rather than watching
a decay. Why don't you try going on the grid of a tube with a low
impedance meter and see where that gets you? Mine has an 11 meg ohm
impedance. It won't load a vacuum tube circuit. So much for my piece
of **** meter, huh?

**My Fluke 85 has an input impedance of 10 MOhm. The bench meter has in
input impedance of 20 MOhm. Plenty high enough for the vast majority of
applications. I have a 100 MOHm, shop built probe somewhere around the
place, for the odd occasion when I require very high impedance/ high
Voltage measurements.

But I have a better idea Trevor. Why don't you take your prize
digital you've raved about and stick it in your ass? That way you'll
never lose it, and it will always be available. Lenny

**I started using digital meters back in 1975 (Fluke). I didn't much
care for them. It took me many years to wean myself off an analogue
meter. Once weaned off them, I've never looked back. Analogue meters are
cool, but for day to day use, nothing beats a digital meter.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

I collect them - analog and digital both. My biggest problem is giving each
of them enough love.
The analogs are mostly used for quick resistance checks, popping speakers,
small DC motors, etc. Digitals don't push enough current through the load on
resistance function for those tasks.

Voltage readings almost always rate a Fluke or Agilent.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03/20/2014 01:30 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
wrote in message

As much as I like keeping things original, I'm worried that
the battery is going to leak and rot the inside of the unit.

Only if you use a carbon-zinc cell. An alkaline cell should be fine.

Unless it's a Duracell!

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=leaky+duracell

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03/20/2014 05:03 PM, Trevor Wilson wrote:
On 20/03/2014 3:16 PM, wrote:
[...]

AVO went south after the Mk IV, which is a thing of great beauty. (My
Mk IV came from the collection of a guy who also collected and restored
antique Rollses.)

Go digital. You will not be sorry.

Your garden variety DMM isn't much use above a kilohertz, though.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:24:18 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"OldGuy" wrote in message ...

[...]

I have had both Energiser and Duracell 9 volt batteries leak. Inside
there are multiple cells thinner than a AAA battery. Usually the
liquid oozes up through the terminals which destroys the battery plug.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014, Trevor Wilson wrote:

**I started using digital meters back in 1975 (Fluke). I didn't much care for
them. It took me many years to wean myself off an analogue meter. Once weaned
off them, I've never looked back. Analogue meters are cool, but for day to
day use, nothing beats a digital meter.

The interesting thing here is that the original post was about replacing
the battery in a VTVM, and the battery is only used for measuring
resistance.

The loading effect doesn't come into play. And it's probably easier to
read ohms on a digital meter than an analog meter.

I would argue that digital meters haven't been as forward looking as they
could. I got one of those Intersil development boards for their famous
DVM IC in 1978. I had big plans for it, never actually done. But I was
going to add a buffer using a mosfet or jfet input op-amp, and feed that
to a cheap meter that had been a signal strength meter in a radio. That
would give the analog movement for tracking peaks and trends, all in one
box. You dn't need to know voltages in that case, just that something has
gone up or down. I hope I would have remembered to put the 1M resistor in
at the tip of the DC meter, just like a VTVM. I can't remember what else
I'd planned.

Yes, one of my DMMs has an "analog" display, but it's sluggish, works off
the DMM rather than directly off the input voltage. I know at one point
there was at least one DMM that had a small analog meter built in for
reading those peaks, a really good solution.

There is no reason we couldn't see multiple test leads (or a lead with a
switch to bypass that 1meg resistor in the tip) in DMMs, it just simply
didn't happen. When I used my HP 410B a lot, I'd always be tangling (and
untangling) the leads, since it had one for AC, one for DC, and one for
ohms. So some consideration probably was given to that, and likely a
blindspot, "who really needs the isolation resistor in the tip in this day
of digital?".

I wish that cheap DMM actually was useful as a frequency counter, but at
400KHz tops, it can't be. And I wouldn't trust the test leads for even
those upper frequencies.

I wish they didn't use the test leads for the capacitance measuring
section, they have a place on the meter to put the leads in, and the test
leads just cause problems with extra and variable capacitance. I remember
one construction articel in Radio Electronics for a digital capacitance
meter that had an adjustment to compensate for the circuity, so it really
was 0 with no capacitor, useful for those low value capacitors.

I did replace the battery in my RCA VTVM with some circuitry, long
forgotten. I found another RCA VTVM just like it a couple of years ago, a
stray item in a box on a busy street, no sign of other garbage. And DMMs
have become so cheap that last year I got another reasonably fancy DMM for
not much, and a pen DMM, which has it's uses, for ten dollars. We seem to
have passed the point of readily available meters the size of a calculator
It reminds me of that mid-seventies pen DMM from HP, the one with an LED
readout and a switch so you could turn the readout upside down, depending
on how you were viewing it.

The early days of building your own digital meters were much more
cmplicated, endless 7400 series TTL, but it gave flexibility. The same
counter section could be used for a decent frequency counter, a decent
capacitance meter, whatever else you needed to measure. We've lost that,
I can't think immediately of some IC that is readily available and cheap
and provides that counter function, while DMMs have become so cheap that
one can get them for ten dollars, free in some places in the US
apparently. Once we started buying them, we lost the ability to control
how we wanted them.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Black" wrote in message
xample.org...

We seem to have passed the point of readily available meters
the size of a calculator. It reminds me of that mid-seventies pen
DMM from HP...

That was the 970. I carried mine when I worked for Bendix Field Engineering.

I have the complete outfit. Anyone want to purchase it?

Beckman sold a similar product (which you can still find). There's another one
(can't think of the brand) I got for $18. Very, very nice.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Besides the things I've already mentioned regarding digital vs. analog, I've tried checking transistors and diodes with a digital, and I suppose that you can do it but perhaps it's because I've been doing this all my life with something like a 260, trying to do this with a digital drives me nuts. And Trevor you asked how you insulted me. You referred to my meter as a "piece of ****". You've never used it nor have you ever seen it. So where the hell did that come from? You may have your own opinions but there was no reason for that comment. Lenny

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:44:20 AM UTC-7, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"John Robertson" wrote in message

Actually considering that the battery leaks an alkaline, I can only imagine
that using additional alkaline will only make matters worse.

He's trying to unstick the battery. You want something that will dissolve an
alkalai -- another alkali.

I'm not sure that's relevant: the alkali (usually potassium hydroxide) will have
corroded the aluminum, and you cannot dissolve the corrosion!

There's a few options for removing batteries in this situation, including
lathe-and-boring-tool, but I'd trash the flashlight.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

I finally found the Website where I originally found the circuit. I liked the second schematic. It's isolated from chassis ground. Here's the link:

http://mikeyancey.com/VTVM_battery_eliminator.php
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:27:08 -0700 (PDT), whit3rd
wrote:

On Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:44:20 AM UTC-7, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"John Robertson" wrote in message

Actually considering that the battery leaks an alkaline, I can only imagine
that using additional alkaline will only make matters worse.

He's trying to unstick the battery. You want something that will dissolve an
alkalai -- another alkali.

I'm not sure that's relevant: the alkali (usually potassium hydroxide) will have
corroded the aluminum, and you cannot dissolve the corrosion!

There's a few options for removing batteries in this situation, including
lathe-and-boring-tool, but I'd trash the flashlight.

Lye will dissolve the corrosion. Too bad it will dissolve the
flashlight too.
Eric

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Trevor Wilson scribbled thus:

On 20/03/2014 3:16 PM, wrote:
[...]

There is no way that I will give up using my AVO8...

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03/21/2014 2:27 PM, whit3rd wrote:
On Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:44:20 AM UTC-7, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"John Robertson" wrote in message

Actually considering that the battery leaks an alkaline, I can only imagine
that using additional alkaline will only make matters worse.

He's trying to unstick the battery. You want something that will dissolve an
alkalai -- another alkali.

I'm not sure that's relevant: the alkali (usually potassium hydroxide) will have
corroded the aluminum, and you cannot dissolve the corrosion!

There's a few options for removing batteries in this situation, including
lathe-and-boring-tool, but I'd trash the flashlight.

Yeah, I'd missed the aluminum body bit. Unless this is a collectable
flashlight is should be binned...

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message

As much as I like keeping things original, I'm worried that
the battery is going to leak and rot the inside of the unit.

Only if you use a carbon-zinc cell. An alkaline cell should be fine.

Unless it's a Duracell!

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=leaky+duracell

My experience is either Duracell or Everready alkaline batteries will
leak. This is based on batteries that were stored in circuit in arcade
games (pinball and video) since 1980 that I subsequently opened,
serviced, serviced and then sold between 2004 and 2011.

Some leaked, most did not. I have lots of pictures...somewhere.

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

**Almost every modern digital meter I've ever seen has a diode test
function. It's easy to use and is often conveniently labelled with a
diode symbol.

And Trevor you asked how you insulted
me. You referred to my meter as a "piece of ****".

**So, not insulted you, so much as called your meter a POS? You have
pretty thin skin, Lenny. I'm pretty certain that if someone referred to
my AVO 8 Mk7 as a POS, I would not be overly concerned. Nor my Fluke 85,
or anything else I own. It's just stuff. If someone called me a liar, or
an idiot, or some other derogatory term, then I would be insulted.

You've never used
it nor have you ever seen it. So where the hell did that come from?

**I've owned VTVMs of the same vintage (in fact, I think I still have
one stored away somewhere). I still own a FETVOM I built (Heathkit) way
back. I never use it, because it is a POS. It was fine when I built it,
but time has moved on and so have I. It's a collector's (barely) piece
only. Same as my AVO 8, my Simpson 260, my Philips PM2403 (now THERE is
one seriously impressive FETVOM) or my General Radio 1564A (the most
beautifully constructed piece in my collection). They're all way past
being truly useful. But I like having them around. All the batteries
have been removed, of course.

You may have your own opinions but there was no reason for that
comment. Lenny

**Sure there was. You're trying to re-invent the wheel. If you want to
keep your VTVM for sentimental/collector purposes, then it's not an
issue. If you want to use it for day-to-day purposes, there are much
better choices available.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

For what it's worth...

More than a decade ago I bought four toy "Insecto Bots", new. They came with
three AAA alkaline cells installed, from some totally unknown manufacturer.

http://www.amazon.com/247999-I-B-53-.../dp/B000TQC9AO

I'd opened them a few times to check, and the cells had not leaked. They still
powered the units, though a bit weakly. The other day I finally discarded
them. There were no signs of leakage.

Yes, cells leak, and yes, Duracell seems more likely to leak than others, and
yes, I've had leaking cells on rare occasions. But why some people here have
had such terrible experiences, I don't know.

If it'll make you feel better... About ten years ago I bought a box of 1000
AAA Polaroid cells on eBay. They're wrapped in pairs, in cellophane. About a
quarter of them have leaked, producing a powdery deposit.