Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default OT anybody know the 'light bulb' in this microwave?

Got a 900W microwave from Oster, purchased at Walmart.

Model OGG1E903R
SN G1R1026E00697
built Sept 2012

The light bulb went out. Once it was out, couldn't even find where it is
mounted in there. I couldn't find any way to easily get in to look for it,
nor find any reference to what bulb to use.

Over weekend, customer service number was closed, so while at Walmart,
asked them. They opened up a unit and couldn't figure it out either. Today
called customer service number, very frustrating experience of getting
hung up on by automated systems and a myriad of stupid questions and
answers of how to diagnose problems yourself, like make sure it is plugged
in, or try another outlet, etc!

Finally, reached a person actual US citizen! who said that light bulb is
not for installation by non-approved repair personnel. Further they don't
even supply it as a part. Translates to no idea what the bulb is either.
Therefore, the WHOLE unit must be returned for service just to replace the
bulb!!! What is that $20+ in shipping to send back a $60 unit or so???

Ok, people, what is this bulb? Where can I get this bulb? and what are the
steps to change it myself?

PS: can't use video's ...am on sloooow dial up. Exact URL's work well,
most searches and general manufacturer websites not so good, either.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/17/2014 3:35 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

It's been a while since you shipped.
I used a box 24" x 15" x 15" weigh 32 lbs going from Fl to Ga.
Price was $34.00.
Try computing the actual cost with weight, size and zipcodes with UPS
or USPS and let us know.
Mikek
PS. on the USPS site they shock you with very high shipping prices and
then you find the dropdown box or the lower prices.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 13:35:47 -0700, RobertMacy wrote:

[...]

Drill out the rivits or remove antitamper bottom of unit.
replace bulb - fixture with similar odd size 120 bulb. reassemble, or
replace as a unit at Walmart or Target - live w/o light.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, March 17, 2014 1:35:47 PM UTC-7, Robert Macy wrote:
Got a 900W microwave from Oster, purchased at Walmart.

Model OGG1E903R

The light bulb went out. Once it was out, couldn't even find where it is
mounted in there. I couldn't find any way to easily get in to look for it,
nor find any reference to what bulb to use.

Finally, reached a person actual US citizen! who said that light bulb is
not for installation by non-approved repair personnel. Further they don't
even supply it as a part. Translates to no idea what the bulb is either.
Therefore, the WHOLE unit must be returned for service just to replace the
bulb!!! What is that $20+ in shipping to send back a $60 unit or so???

Ok, people, what is this bulb? Where can I get this bulb? and what are the
steps to change it myself?

You can download YouTube videos with either KeepVid.com or with the
Firefox plug-in Download Helper.

You should be able to find the actual manufacturer through the UL file
number printed on the sticker where you got the serial number. Or
phone Oster and ask who makes their microwaves.

The bulb is usually an ordinary 25W - 40W incandescent, either screw-in
or bayonet mount, but Ebay shows some bulbs mounted (permanently?) in
a plastic base with two spade lugs sticking out. You should be able
to get one from a real hardware store, appliance parts supply,
vacuum cleaner dealer, Ebay, or order it online from places like
RepairClinic.com (also has forums). A Google image search for
"microwave oven bulb" will show the various styles.

Don't change the bulb without first unplugging the oven. You'll have
to remove the whole cover by unscrewing it (several in back, proably
1-2 along the bottom sides) and pulling it back. There's a big high
voltage capacitor inside, about the size of a pack of cigarettes
(grey thing here, marked "DANGER", but most are silver colored):

http://softsolder.files.wordpress.co...n-interior.jpg

It can retain 3,000 - 4,000 volts forever, if its bleeder resistor
breaks, and bleeder resistors often break. Stay away from it and its
wires because it can put out lethally high current at high voltage.

The lightbulb may be around there, in the top half, or it may be on
the opposite side. If it screws in, it may be held in place with a
dab of silicone rubber sealant, to resist vibration from the fans.

Do NOT plug in the AC power cord until after you have the oven cover
completely installed, including all its screws. The cover probably
has some steel fingers to help hold it in place, and it's easy to
mount them on the outside instead of inside.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 14:51:40 -0700, amdx wrote:

..snip...

Mikek
PS. on the USPS site they shock you with very high shipping prices and
then you find the dropdown box or the lower prices.

Ah, yes. That false sense of saving some money. Today when the cashier
loudly proclaims how I saved $16, I respond with, "I would have saved $58
by not coming in here."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"RobertMacy" wrote in message newsp.xcw8clpw2cx0wh@ajm...

Ah, yes. That false sense of saving some money. Today when the
cashier loudly proclaims how I saved $16, I respond with, "I would
have saved $58 by not coming in here."

I remind the cashier of how much I actually /spent/, and that I probably
wouldn't have bought the stuff if it hadn't been on sale.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:54:58 -0700, Knoppix User wrote:

...snip...

Drill out the rivits or remove antitamper bottom of unit.
replace bulb - fixture with similar odd size 120 bulb. reassemble, or
replace as a unit at Walmart or Target - live w/o light.

That last alternative may have to suffice. However, drill out the rivets?
hmmm...

There are a series of hex heads all over the back panel. I hoped someone
here would KNOW the step by steps to take this thing apart.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 07:01:53 -0700, wrote:

...snip...

You should be able to find the actual manufacturer through the UL file
number printed on the sticker where you got the serial number. Or
phone Oster and ask who makes their microwaves.

You may have missed my venting about the automated phone service, followed
by lack of information once I reached a person at Oster. Checking UL
label, interesting never thought of that.

The bulb is usually an ordinary 25W - 40W incandescent, either screw-in
or bayonet mount, but Ebay shows some bulbs mounted (permanently?) in
a plastic base with two spade lugs sticking out. You should be able
to get one from a real hardware store, appliance parts supply,
vacuum cleaner dealer, Ebay, or order it online from places like
RepairClinic.com (also has forums). A Google image search for
"microwave oven bulb" will show the various styles.

I was hoping to have the replacment bulb in hand, BEFORE taking the uWave
apart.

Don't change the bulb without first unplugging the oven. You'll have
to remove the whole cover by unscrewing it (several in back, proably
1-2 along the bottom sides) and pulling it back. There's a big high
voltage capacitor inside, about the size of a pack of cigarettes
(grey thing here, marked "DANGER", but most are silver colored):

http://softsolder.files.wordpress.co...n-interior.jpg

It can retain 3,000 - 4,000 volts forever, if its bleeder resistor
breaks, and bleeder resistors often break. Stay away from it and its
wires because it can put out lethally high current at high voltage.

Charge migration in caps can be lethal. Turns them into little 'batteries'

The lightbulb may be around there, in the top half, or it may be on
the opposite side. If it screws in, it may be held in place with a
dab of silicone rubber sealant, to resist vibration from the fans.

Do NOT plug in the AC power cord until after you have the oven cover
completely installed, including all its screws. The cover probably
has some steel fingers to help hold it in place, and it's easy to
mount them on the outside instead of inside.

So far, your description is the closest to a step by step. Thanks for the
'heads up' on metal fingers. Still wish there was a definitive step by
step I could follow, including having that bulb before starting. so, know
what getting into.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/18/2014 9:20 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 15:54:58 -0700, Knoppix User wrote:

...snip...

Drill out the rivits or remove antitamper bottom of unit.
replace bulb - fixture with similar odd size 120 bulb. reassemble, or
replace as a unit at Walmart or Target - live w/o light.

That last alternative may have to suffice. However, drill out the
rivets? hmmm...

There are a series of hex heads all over the back panel. I hoped someone
here would KNOW the step by steps to take this thing apart.

Just dive in, once you get it apart, you will know what to do to take
it apart "the right way". :-)
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 07:40:48 -0700, amdx wrote:

...snip...

Just dive in, once you get it apart, you will know what to do to take
it apart "the right way". :-)
Mikek

I'm tempted. But...in the other room lies an easy to dissassemble Vizio
large screen TV just waiting to have all its aging caps replaced...been
there now for awhile.

Now, consider the uWave, in the kitchen and used often. Not likely to be
able to do the same to it. Especially all over the countertop.

So, I'm stuck with, have the bulb in hand and know what all this entails
BEFORE starting. sigh.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"RobertMacy" wrote in message newsp.xcxbchka2cx0wh@ajm...

So, I'm stuck with, [needing to] have the bulb in hand and know[ing]
what all this entails BEFORE starting. Sigh.

I sympathize. Some products look easy to take apart -- but aren't. This is
particularly true of cheap stuff.

I would put the oven aside and let your blood pressure drop. With any luck,
the oven might fail during the warranty period.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I would put the oven aside and let your blood pressure drop. With any
luck, the oven might fail during the warranty period.

WAIT! The oven has ALREADY failed! The light bulb ought to be covered
under the warranty, unless they have some stupid written exception that
the bulb is not covered.

Jon
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 21 Mar 2014 09:21:14 -0700, Cydrome Leader
wrote:

...snip....

the last MOs I ripped open had real bulbs in real screw sockets, but they
were taped in to prevent them from rattling out. The base is the the size
one up from a 7 watt nightlight bulb, and seems similar to a sewing
machine bulb.
...snip...

Excellent! What brand was it?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

...snip....

the last MOs I ripped open had real bulbs in real screw sockets, but they
were taped in to prevent them from rattling out. The base is the the size
one up from a 7 watt nightlight bulb, and seems similar to a sewing
machine bulb.
...snip...

Excellent! What brand was it?

I have no idea anymore, but it wasn't made by the company name on the
front of the unit. Most microwaves come from one company in china these
days and they just brand them like a keychain or a pen.

Anyways, I just measured the bulb and it's a T7 rated 20 watts. You'll see
the exact same bulb in the man's hand in this video:

http://www.bulbtown.com/20T7_C_130V_...SE_p/03662.htm

The bulb I have says MD120V/20W G1. The same flanged black plastic housing
is listed with all the other used (just look at the color of the glass)
"microwave bulbs" on ebay.

The craziest tool I've ever seen needed to open a microwave is a torx
driver, usually for one screw on the cover.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 18:32:34 -0700, Cydrome Leader
wrote:

RobertMacy wrote:
...snip...
Excellent! What brand was it?

I have no idea anymore, but it wasn't made by the company name on the
front of the unit. Most microwaves come from one company in china these
days and they just brand them like a keychain or a pen.

Anyways, I just measured the bulb and it's a T7 rated 20 watts. You'll
see
the exact same bulb in the man's hand in this video:

http://www.bulbtown.com/20T7_C_130V_...SE_p/03662.htm

The bulb I have says MD120V/20W G1. The same flanged black plastic
housing
is listed with all the other used (just look at the color of the glass)
"microwave bulbs" on ebay.

The craziest tool I've ever seen needed to open a microwave is a torx
driver, usually for one screw on the cover.

Thanks for the details. Candelabra bulb? Sounds standard. 130W T7 20W E12
base. Will pick some up.

Uh, can't view videos, and most websites now hang, or crash, our PC's, so
I rely very heavily on text descriptions. Thanks for the URL, will
bookmark it for HomeConstructionParts. Although the !@#$#@! website hangs,
slows the system, shows me a picture then blanks and twenty minutes later
still black pictures! the 'temporary' picture that went by looked about
right size bulb.

I once ran across the same one screw different requiring a torx, when I
repaired our Hamilton Beach Brewmaster! Since I bought a small tool set to
do that, shouldn't have trouble with the uWave, eh? But I think the
Rockwell 3Rill FULL toolset has several torx type adapters, too. Ms. Macy
bought it for my birthday and it is incredibly handy to use. No she didn't
buy it for herself and loans it to me, it was for me.

I might be able to disassemble, reassemble, buy the bulb, repeat after
replacing the bulb, before anyone(?) notices the uWave was pulled in and
out of service.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

I think the e12 is too small. I don't know the correct name other than
it's what sewing machines used to use as well.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/18/2014 7:30 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
reply snipped

So far, your description is the closest to a step by step. Thanks for
the 'heads up' on metal fingers. Still wish there was a definitive step
by step I could follow, including having that bulb before starting. so,
know what getting into.

http://www.wikihow.com/Replace-a-Microwave-Lightbulb
http://www.ehow.com/how_2153363_replace-microwave-lightbulb.html
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 24 Mar 2014 12:06:44 -0700, Sofa Slug
wrote:

On 3/18/2014 7:30 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
reply snipped

So far, your description is the closest to a step by step. Thanks for
the 'heads up' on metal fingers. Still wish there was a definitive step
by step I could follow, including having that bulb before starting. so,
know what getting into.

http://www.wikihow.com/Replace-a-Microwave-Lightbulb
http://www.ehow.com/how_2153363_replace-microwave-lightbulb.html

PERFECT! Thanks! You can't believe how closely that compares to the one I
have to take apart.

ARRRGG!!! pictures filling in, dragging down PC while pix coming in. Then
back and forth, the pictures go blank and fill in again ?! and, worst,
longer blank then viewable! After twenty mintues, some pix already seen
have disappeared and started filling in again. No idea, but is ok I get to
see the pix at least once or twice as they go by.

And importantly, the pix make it obvious this is not going to be rocket
science and should be doable over less than an hour of time. Gvien enough
time all the pics came in, looks simple, don't see any 'gotcha's.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

RobertMacy wrote:
[...]

IIRC that base is called candelabra.