Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Looking for cable, 2 coax with overall 3rd shield

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then this
whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.
Thanks, Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:17:01 -0700, amdx wrote:

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then this
whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.
Thanks, Mikek

is that called twinax?

Belden makes it, I think
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/15/2014 9:45 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:17:01 -0700, amdx wrote:

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then
this whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.
Thanks, Mikek

is that called twinax?

Belden makes it, I think

From what I see, twinax is 2 wires in one shield. I need both wires
in their own shield and then a third shield around both of those.
Thanks, Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote:

On 3/15/2014 9:45 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:17:01 -0700, amdx wrote:

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then
this whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.
Thanks, Mikek

is that called twinax?

Belden makes it, I think

From what I see, twinax is 2 wires in one shield. I need both wires
in their own shield and then a third shield around both of those.

VGA monitor cable?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote:

On 3/15/2014 9:45 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:17:01 -0700, amdx wrote:

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then
this whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.
Thanks, Mikek

is that called twinax?

Belden makes it, I think

From what I see, twinax is 2 wires in one shield. I need both wires
in their own shield and then a third shield around both of those.

VGA monitor cable?

I'm not aware of what is inside,
does this super VGA type look right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-10FT-30F...-/350979305532

Thanks, Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03/16/2014 06:46 AM, amdx wrote:

amdx wrote:

On 3/15/2014 9:45 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:17:01 -0700, amdx wrote:

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then
this whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.
Thanks, Mikek

is that called twinax?

Belden makes it, I think

From what I see, twinax is 2 wires in one shield. I need both wires
in their own shield and then a third shield around both of those.

VGA monitor cable?

I'm not aware of what is inside,
does this super VGA type look right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-10FT-30F...-/350979305532

Thanks, Mikek

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...VuOmySxg%3d%3d
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 21:05:53 -0700, amdx wrote:

On 3/15/2014 9:45 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:17:01 -0700, amdx wrote:

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then
this whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.
Thanks, Mikek

is that called twinax?

Belden makes it, I think

From what I see, twinax is 2 wires in one shield. I need both wires
in their own shield and then a third shield around both of those.
Thanks, Mikek

TWIN CORE COAX CABLE ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote:

On 3/15/2014 9:45 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:17:01 -0700, amdx wrote:

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then
this whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.
Thanks, Mikek

is that called twinax?

Belden makes it, I think

From what I see, twinax is 2 wires in one shield. I need both wires
in their own shield and then a third shield around both of those.

VGA monitor cable?

I'm not aware of what is inside,
does this super VGA type look right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-10FT-30F...-/350979305532

Thanks, Mikek

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...VuOmySxg%3d%3d

AS Phil would say, Are we supposed to guess what you need, give the
details. expletives deleted

OK here is what I want to duplicate.
Two separate coax with a third braid over both of those.
Thanks, Mikek
PS. Not my excellent ascii artwork. Hope the font works!
- -
- | | | | -
| | | | Signal(+) | | | |
| | | | | | | |
| | | Inner Shield | | |
+-------------------------------------------------#----+
| | | | |
Probe/ | | | | |
Sensor | | | | | Meter
| | Inner Shield | | |
+-------------------------------------------------#----#
| | | | | | |
| | | | Signal(-) | | | | |
| | | | | | | | |
- | | | | - |
| | | | |
| Outer braid & GND | |
------------#-------------------------------------#----------#----

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The Lady from Philadelphia sez...

If the required length of cable is not great, why not envelope two coax cables
in a length of shielding?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/16/2014 10:31 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
The Lady from Philadelphia sez...

If the required length of cable is not great, why not envelope two coax
cables in a length of shielding?

5 ft is the length, for know I hope to find the proper cable I need.
Thanks, Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote:

VGA monitor cable?

I'm not aware of what is inside,
does this super VGA type look right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-10FT-30F...-/350979305532

They have three miniature 75 ohm coax cables and an outer shield, along
with several other single conductors. This is for your homemade Boonton
RF probe, so I've seen the cable they use. Don't you have a spare
monitor cable laying around, or a recycler that will let you swipe a
cable off a bad monitor?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote:

VGA monitor cable?

I'm not aware of what is inside,
does this super VGA type look right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-10FT-30F...-/350979305532

They have three miniature 75 ohm coax cables and an outer shield, along
with several other single conductors. This is for your homemade Boonton
RF probe, so I've seen the cable they use. Don't you have a spare
monitor cable laying around, or a recycler that will let you swipe a
cable off a bad monitor?

I'll take a look through my junque, I may have one I can tear into.
Yes, I'm trying to put a cable together, that will work on the Boonton.
Two coax, small and flexible is the ideal.
Thanks, Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014, amdx wrote:

On 3/15/2014 9:45 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:17:01 -0700, amdx wrote:

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then
this whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.
Thanks, Mikek

is that called twinax?

Belden makes it, I think

From what I see, twinax is 2 wires in one shield. I need both wires in
their own shield and then a third shield around both of those.
Thanks, Mikek

So it's really two pieces of thin coax in a single covering.

I don't know. I was checking garage sales one day in the summer, and
passed yard that had a nifty monitor cable lying there all by itself,
just discarded. It had BNC connectors on both ends, at least three. So I
assume it had something like RG174 between the connectors, and then some
wrapper around the individual pieces, but I could be wrong. A nice blue.
I haven't dug any deeper, but was thinking if my assumption is right, the
I could strip out the connectors and small cables, and have a more useful
to me set of cables.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Michael Black wrote:

So it's really two pieces of thin coax in a single covering.

I don't know. I was checking garage sales one day in the summer, and
passed yard that had a nifty monitor cable lying there all by itself,
just discarded. It had BNC connectors on both ends, at least three. So I
assume it had something like RG174 between the connectors, and then some
wrapper around the individual pieces, but I could be wrong. A nice blue.
I haven't dug any deeper, but was thinking if my assumption is right, the
I could strip out the connectors and small cables, and have a more useful
to me set of cables.

Video uses 75 ohm cable. RG/174 is 50 ohm. It can cause a lot of
errors at higher frequencies.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote:

VGA monitor cable?

I'm not aware of what is inside,
does this super VGA type look right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-10FT-30F...-/350979305532

They have three miniature 75 ohm coax cables and an outer shield, along
with several other single conductors. This is for your homemade Boonton
RF probe, so I've seen the cable they use. Don't you have a spare
monitor cable laying around, or a recycler that will let you swipe a
cable off a bad monitor?

I opened up the cable I have and it is aluminum shield, won't work
for my purpose. Plus two many wires.
I'm looking at this audio cable with XLR connectors.
http://www.amazon.com/XLR-Male-Femal...pr_product_top
I suspect this is a twisted pair inside a shield, pins 1, 2, and 3 and
then a shield around everything that connects to the housing of the
connector.

It says, "These cables... because of their combination of heavy duty
construction as well as their inner and outer protective RF shielding of
heavy duty copper conductors.

So it has two shields, but is each conductor shielded?

The use is the Boonton RF meter the cable carries DC voltage at low
voltages, as low as 1mV.
I'm still trying to find the right cable. I'd like to find something
commercial and cut a 25ft cable into 5 pieces and put ends on them.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote:

amdx wrote:

VGA monitor cable?

I'm not aware of what is inside,
does this super VGA type look right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/6FT-10FT-30F...-/350979305532

They have three miniature 75 ohm coax cables and an outer shield, along
with several other single conductors. This is for your homemade Boonton
RF probe, so I've seen the cable they use. Don't you have a spare
monitor cable laying around, or a recycler that will let you swipe a
cable off a bad monitor?

I opened up the cable I have and it is aluminum shield, won't work
for my purpose.

An aluminum foil shield can be quieter than braided, tinned copper
when the cable is flexed. The drain wire allows you to connect it to the
connector, and probe body as needed. Not all VGA cable is foil
shielded, but the more flexible is likely to be made that way since you
need multiple layers of braid to achieve the same level of shielding.
Some cable has enough free space that you could pull out the unwanted
conductors. S-video cable might work, if you could find it with an outer
shield, but VGA cable is the closest, off the shelf wire available.

Plus too many wires.

All you have to do is tie any unused wires to ground at the connector
end.

Belden 1277P or 1277R is just three 75 ohm miniature coax cables with a
bonded foil shield, but it's about $1.06 or $1.58 per foot when you buy
1000 feet at a time.

I'm looking at this audio cable with XLR connectors.
http://www.amazon.com/XLR-Male-Femal...pr_product_top
I suspect this is a twisted pair inside a shield, pins 1, 2, and 3 and
then a shield around everything that connects to the housing of the
connector.

It says, "These cables... because of their combination of heavy duty
construction as well as their inner and outer protective RF shielding of
heavy duty copper conductors.

So it has two shields, but is each conductor shielded?

Why would each conductor be shielded, for low impedance, balanced
audio?

The use is the Boonton RF meter the cable carries DC voltage at low
voltages, as low as 1mV.
I'm still trying to find the right cable. I'd like to find something
commercial and cut a 25ft cable into 5 pieces and put ends on them.
Mikek

http://www.uniqueelectronics.com/ could make what you want, but you
better have your chair bolted to the floor and a seatbelt on when you
ask for a quote. I haven't dealt with them for years, but I did show
them how to prove that some customer supplied microwave cable was
garbage. The customer claimed it was their test equipment, but the semi
rigid cables I had proved it was in spec. One of their engineers was in
my computer club at the time.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 03/17/2014 06:26 PM, amdx wrote:

[...]

Call Pacific Radio in Burbank. They are a Belden dealer and a pro cables
manufacturer.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

amdx wrote:

amdx wrote:

[...]

Just hoping to find what I want in a common cable :-(
and I don't know audio cable.

The use is the Boonton RF meter the cable carries DC voltage at low
voltages, as low as 1mV.
I'm still trying to find the right cable. I'd like to find something
commercial and cut a 25ft cable into 5 pieces and put ends on them.
Mikek

http://www.uniqueelectronics.com/ could make what you want, but you
better have your chair bolted to the floor and a seatbelt on when you
ask for a quote. I haven't dealt with them for years, but I did show
them how to prove that some customer supplied microwave cable was
garbage. The customer claimed it was their test equipment, but the semi
rigid cables I had proved it was in spec. One of their engineers was in
my computer club at the time.

I want cheap.
Mikek

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:26:11 -0700, amdx wrote:

...snip....

The use is the Boonton RF meter the cable carries DC voltage at low
voltages, as low as 1mV.
I'm still trying to find the right cable. I'd like to find something
commercial and cut a 25ft cable into 5 pieces and put ends on them.
Mikek

What's that thin little coax called RG-179, or such? about the size of
18Awg wire, put two together [they have insulation on the outside] using
tacky glue, then add a sleeve of cheap metal brading. Often made such
'custom' cables, work fine. You're not going into Production, right? Just
for your own needs.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/18/2014 9:49 AM, RobertMacy wrote:
On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:26:11 -0700, amdx wrote:

...snip....

The use is the Boonton RF meter the cable carries DC voltage at low
voltages, as low as 1mV.
I'm still trying to find the right cable. I'd like to find something
commercial and cut a 25ft cable into 5 pieces and put ends on them.
Mikek

What's that thin little coax called RG-179, or such? about the size of
18Awg wire, put two together [they have insulation on the outside] using
tacky glue, then add a sleeve of cheap metal brading. Often made such
'custom' cables, work fine. You're not going into Production, right?
Just for your own needs.

I would like to build about 5 cables for now. I might just try some
microphone cable, then check to see if I can induce noise or generate
any piezo voltage.
Still in the market for the right cable though.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"amdx" wrote in message ...

I would like to build about 5 cables for now. I might just try
some microphone cable, then check to see if I can induce
noise or generate any piezo voltage.

Most cable dielectrics generate piezo voltages.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/18/2014 12:26 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"amdx" wrote in message ...
I would like to build about 5 cables for now. I might just try
some microphone cable, then check to see if I can induce
noise or generate any piezo voltage.

Most cable dielectrics generate piezo voltages.

Ok, see if I can generate a not unreasonable amount
of piezo electricity.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"amdx" wrote in message ...
On 3/18/2014 12:26 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Most cable dielectrics generate piezo voltages.

Ok, see if I can generate a not unreasonable amount
of piezo electricity.

All you have to do is attach the cable to a mic input, then strike the cable
against the edge of a table. Or hit it with a hammer. Almost any zetz will do.

The first time I heard this was from the cables on a moving-coil transformer.
I was really surprised. I knew of piezoelectricity, but didn't know that cable
dielectrics could generate it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 3/18/2014 2:25 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
"amdx" wrote in message ...
On 3/18/2014 12:26 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Most cable dielectrics generate piezo voltages.

Ok, see if I can generate a not unreasonable amount
of piezo electricity.

All you have to do is attach the cable to a mic input, then strike the
cable against the edge of a table. Or hit it with a hammer. Almost any
zetz will do.

The first time I heard this was from the cables on a moving-coil
transformer. I was really surprised. I knew of piezoelectricity, but
didn't know that cable dielectrics could generate it.

I guess the point is some cable generates less piezoelectricity than
others. I would want less.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 18 Mar 2014 10:26:00 -0700, William Sommerwerck
wrote:

"amdx" wrote in message ...
I would like to build about 5 cables for now. I might just try
some microphone cable, then check to see if I can induce
noise or generate any piezo voltage.

Most cable dielectrics generate piezo voltages.

Don't know about piezo, but tribo-electric effect is the bane of cable
manufacturers.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 19:45:56 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:17:01 -0700, amdx wrote:

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then this
whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.
Thanks, Mikek

is that called twinax?

Belden makes it, I think

I wouldn't think so. Most twinax i have dealt with did not have shields
on the inner conductors. Check vendors for twinax structure. This would
be a specialty instrument cable.

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

On Sat, 15 Mar 2014 16:17:01 -0700, amdx wrote:

I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then this
whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.
Thanks, Mikek

is that called twinax?

Belden makes it, I think

I wouldn't think so. Most twinax i have dealt with did not have shields
on the inner conductors. Check vendors for twinax structure. This would
be a specialty instrument cable.

?-)

I called Belden, I was told, they don't make this type of cable.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, March 15, 2014 4:17:01 PM UTC-7, amdx wrote:
I'm looking to buy cable that has two wires, each in a shield, then this

whole thing is in another shield. Flexibility is good.

Thanks, Mikek

I searched for the same thing a few years back to make my own custom RCA audio connectors for my Car system when I was Competing, The best thing I could find was high grade Microphone wire, back then it was cheap but this was 10 or more years ago. They make a number of styles and types, wire gauges jacket thickness. Go to a good Music store or Electronics shop like a Reclamation center or similar store to get the best deal. You won't have the choices but you will pay much less than a Music Center.

USB Cable with Aluminum Shield Braid Wild_Bill Electronics Repair 4 February 3rd 10 11:55 PM
Cable TV and coax splitters - Hookup splitter to Digital Cable JTT Home Repair 1 August 24th 07 04:15 AM
Coax cable Grumps UK diy 10 June 13th 05 11:44 AM
extending coax cable to cable-modem Rick UK diy 15 February 23rd 05 12:44 PM
For the Cable Guys: Coax cable Splitter Q. Michael Stoic Home Repair 6 January 25th 05 03:28 PM