DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Hickock CRO-5000a (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/368079-hickock-cro-5000a.html)

[email protected] February 20th 14 09:52 PM

Hickock CRO-5000a

My buddy just picked one up in a deal. I can't seem to find anything on it. It is coming for me to check out and though a print would be nice, I don't even need that. I don't know if the thing is 5 Mhz, 50 Mhz or what. There is one on eBay (I think in the UK) for sale (for $359 !). From the picture it doesn't look like much but you never know. The ad, or one of the google hits indicate that it is solid state at least.

I nothing else it can become a component checker or something, or we can unload it cheap to a student, who might be able to learn something from it a bit easier than a new LCD job. Even an interested kid. I got my first scop when I was about 13 I think. It seemed like a truck in size, it was a Hickock coincidentally and with all that bulk it had a giant three inch scren I think ! If I remember correctly the graticule was glued on, like scotch tape with lines !

The technology was, well, defies words...

anyway, does anyone have any onfo on the CRO-5000a ? If it can be made to work easily I could spec it out, but if there are any problems that require a bunch of effort and/or money I would like to know if it is worth it. Evne a 5 Mhz can be used for some audio work...

Hell, I don't even lnow if it is triggered !

Any info is appreciated.

Tom Miller February 21st 14 12:49 AM

Hickock CRO-5000a

wrote in message
[...]

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Bama has a Hickok section but I do not see the 5000a listed. Maybe there
might be a close unit that is similar.

http://bama.edebris.com/manuals/hickok/

tm

Phil Allison[_2_] February 21st 14 01:31 PM

Hickock CRO-5000a

There is one on eBay (I think in the UK) for sale (for $359 !).

** That Ebay sale is an absurd scam.

A clapped out, single trace, basic CRO from the 70s is worth about $10 if it
works and nothing if it does not.

.... Phil.

Michael A. Terrell February 22nd 14 03:40 AM

Hickock CRO-5000a

wrote:

[...]

There are two Hickock CRO-5000 manuals for sale on Ebay right now.
One says it is a transistorized scope. Anyone with half a brain would
contact the seller and ask the specifications, or just buy the damned
manual.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HICKOK-CRO-5...-/130583437491

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

[email protected] February 22nd 14 05:03 PM

Hickock CRO-5000a

?"Anyone with half a brain would
contact the seller and ask the specifications, or just buy the damned
manual. "

Well I happen to have a whole brain so I am not going to buy a manual for more than the scope might be worth.

Anyway, it is here now. It has a trace and horizontal deflection but I think it is just deflecting at 60Hz, seems like a sinewave. There is no response from the vertical position controls so I didn't bother trying to feed it. If the position controls don't work, it is not going to work unless it is some really strange design.

Probably the power supply. It's not a priotity right now but it would make a spare for in a pinch or peddle it on eBay or something.

Michael A. Terrell February 27th 14 06:41 PM

Hickock CRO-5000a

wrote:

?"Anyone with half a brain would
contact the seller and ask the specifications, or just buy the damned
manual. "

Well I happen to have a whole brain so I am not going to buy a manual for more than the scope might be worth.

Anyway, it is here now. It has a trace and horizontal deflection but I think it is just deflecting at 60Hz, seems like a sinewave. There is no response from the vertical position controls so I didn't bother trying to feed it. If the position controls don't work, it is not going to work unless it is some really strange design.

Probably the power supply. It's not a priotity right now but it would make a spare for in a pinch or peddle it on eBay or something.

So, you're too lazy to message the seller to ask a question. That's
no surprise.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

[email protected] February 28th 14 01:52 AM

Hickock CRO-5000a

Laziness is a virtue.

Michael A. Terrell February 28th 14 02:23 AM

Hickock CRO-5000a

wrote:

Laziness is a virtue.

Only to the shiftless.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

[email protected] February 28th 14 09:16 PM

Hickock CRO-5000a

Old guys told me about that. These were people who could DO something. They said when you get a guy who's energetic and stupid, you got problems. When you got a guy who is lazy and smart, then you get things done.

Many times I have figured out quicker ways to do something, especially in troubleshooting. Even moreso in the actual repairs. Of course I am not the only one and alot of my ideas were done before.

Things like this make ****ing money, and that's what I did. I didn't waste my time on all the bull****. I outperformed everyone in this ****ing town and I got witnesses. All because I am lazy and smart. I do not do unnessecary bull****.

The scope is obviouly not worth much. If it can be brought into usable condition in about a half an hour fine. That's provided it doesn't need anything more expensive than a dollar or two.

So I should hold up the show waiting for a response from someone who probably doesn't want to **** around, just wants to sell the manual with information I want in it, and tell him that instead of buying his product he should just tell me what is in it.

Is that what you're telling me ?

You know what I want to know, did I **** your olady or somethiing or are you like this to everyone ?

Yes, I did not and am not going to message that person and tell him to read the ****ing manual THAT HE WANTS TO SELL to me. I would have to lose half a brain to be so obtuse to do **** like that.

I don't need your ****ing kind of help. Just click elsewhere and save yourself the time.

Michael A. Terrell March 2nd 14 06:47 AM

Hickock CRO-5000a

wrote:

[...]

You're the kind of ass that put tech companies out of business.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

[email protected] March 2nd 14 02:52 PM

Hickock CRO-5000a

You know, anyone can be a keyboard warrior. The fact is buddy that mine is the phone to ring. I go for a job, it's me interviewing them.

Not that I could care even less about what you think of my top ****ing dollar ass, just for fun, why don't you substantiate your claim. Why don't you give examples of why you think I am whatever it is you think I am ?

Can you ? Can you give a reason for your supposed opinion ? Somewhere along the line there must be something I wrote, possibly drunk, possible ten years ago or whatever, that ****ed with your head somehow and makes you try to needle me and ****. This is not the first time.

Do you have a valid opinion or just too much time on your hands ? Or maybe likle Phil Allison you have a form of internet Tourette's Syndrome or something. The difference though is that Phil Allison is a competent tech and engineer and has something useful to say. I haven't noticed that quality in you. All you seem to do is bitch. Phil will give valid, useful and intelligent answers but suffixes it with "you stinking ****ing asshooe" or some **** like that. You seem to forget the first part, which may require thought.