Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 3.5mm stereo headphone socket that isn't.

I don't get this at all.

I need a 3.5mm switched stereo headphone socket to replace a broken surface
mount PCB socket.

So I bought this, the only one that Farnell sell.
http://www.schurter.ch/var/schurter/..._4802.2300.pdf

http://uk.farnell.com/schurter/4802-...pole/dp/143336

Only it is the wrong dimensions to fit a standard 3.5mm headphone jack. The
jack plug will not go far enough into the socket, as the plug's collar meets
the threaded part of the socket too early.

Now I've measured a couple of headphone plugs, one on my Sony headphones,
and from the collar to the end of the centre pin is 14mm. From the
technical drawing above, it is clear that there is no way this can actually
fit.

In this technical drawing is another drawing of a 3.5mm plug that presumably
mates with this socket, because it does not have the collar you find on
headphone jack plugs.

So are there 2 different types of 3.5mm plug/socket standards?

Bizarre.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/19/2014 02:37 AM, Gareth Magennis wrote:
[...]

They come in 2, 3 or 4 conductor versions. They are all the same length
in my shop.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dave" wrote in message
m...
[...]

This is a typical 3.5mm plug, length of shaft = 14.25mm
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1680205.pdf

This is the Schurter one, length of shaft = 18.6mm.
http://www.schurter.ch/var/schurter/..._4802.1300.pdf

They are not compatible.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:06:14 -0000, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Not any help but did anybody notice that the Schurter is longer?
Eric

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 20/02/14 04:28, wrote:
On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:06:14 -0000, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Which part of the message saying "The Schurter is 18mm long" did you not
understand ??

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 09:17:18 +0800, Rheilly Phoull
wrote:

On 20/02/14 04:28, wrote:
On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 15:06:14 -0000, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:

"dave" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I did understand the message. I just noticed that the name "Schurter
is pretty close to the word "shorter" and I thought it was funny that
the shorter one was longer. Sheesh!
Etic

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

They are not compatible.

Gareth.

Not any help but did anybody notice that the Schurter is longer?
Eric

---

Which part of the message saying "The Schurter is 18mm long" did you not
understand ??

I did understand the message. I just noticed that the name "Schurter
is pretty close to the word "shorter" and I thought it was funny that
the shorter one was longer. Sheesh!
Etic

---

Some people have no sense of Yuma.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Which part of the message saying "The Schurter is 18mm long" did you not
understand ??

I did understand the message. I just noticed that the name "Schurter
is pretty close to the word "shorter" and I thought it was funny that
the shorter one was longer. Sheesh!
Etic

---

That was quite clever humour - along the lines of "Don't call me Shirley
...."

But I have to say that it did go over my head until you explained it ...
d;-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 23 Feb 2014 13:12:56 -0000, "Arfa Daily"

Which part of the message saying "The Schurter is 18mm long" did you not
understand ??

I did understand the message. I just noticed that the name "Schurter
is pretty close to the word "shorter" and I thought it was funny that
the shorter one was longer. Sheesh!
Etic

---

That was quite clever humour - along the lines of "Don't call me Shirley
..."

But I have to say that it did go over my head until you explained it ...
d;-)

Arfa

Greetings Arfa,
Thanks for the compliment. When I was little I didn't get puns. I was
just too literal thinking. When explained to me I could see the play
on words but the humor escaped me. Then one day I "got" a pun. I must
have been about 10 or 11. Since then I see puns all over the place.
Cheers,
Eric

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
[...]

I think I've become too used to taking stuff literally on here, and not
looking for the humour. You'll notice the different spelling of the word, as
I am in the U.K. Over the years, I've seen many cases of what was intended
to be humour being misinterpreted by the time it reached the other side of
the pond, and some pretty violent arguments breaking out as a result, a few
of which I've been involved in ... :-)

The last such that I can remember was a typically British throw-away comment
about a Bulova Accutron wris****ch, which was seen by everyone this side as
tongue-in-cheek humour, but was taken as a proper insult by the American OP,
and ultimately a number of other regular U.S. posters who pitched in their
two penn'orth. Since then, there doesn't seem to have been much attempt at
humour from either side, and I think that's why it went over my head - I
just wasn't looking for it or expecting it !

Still, good to see some back. Keep it up sir !

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

[...]

I was that OP, if I recall correctly. The issue is not how humor translates,
but whether the tone of the posting indicates you're trying to be funny. in
that particular case, there was nothing in the post indicating it was supposed
to be funny.

I've become more cautious about making wisecracks. As much as we would prefer
that readers get the joke without it having to be explained (which is a
compliment to the reader), a g or can save a lot of arguing.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 01:49:17 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

The British and American slang differences are a great source of
humo(u)r. My brother has a friend who was visiting her husband's
relatives in Britain. These folks were pretty high class, pretty
proper. At the end of a good meal she exclaimed that she was
"stuffed". After comment only silenced ensued. Later that evening her
husband told her why her comment was offensive. This makes me think
about how much fun the Brits must have had when shag carpet was so
popular here in the US.
Eric

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I figured out how to pronounce a Led Zeppelin song from reading Andy
Capp. D'yer Maker? is pronounced Jamaica (more or less). The song is a
loose reggae.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

[...]

You were not the OP - although you became directly embroiled in the argument
on his side, William. The OP was someone who I had not seen on here before,
and was asking about replacement batteries for said watch, because the
originals were no longer available, and the recommended replacement made it
run fast for a few days, or something like that. That caused a well known
name this side to throw in a comment about it being a "crap design" as I
recall, making a bit of a mockery of the name "Accutron".

The OP took deep offense at this, and no amount of telling him - or you if I
remember correctly - that the comment had been intended as humour that you
both had failed to understand, would recover the situation. Still, over and
done with, and no point in resurrecting it all again, so we'll just leave it
there, shall we ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Feb 2014 01:49:17 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..
[...]

And "bumming a fag" for begging a cigarette and "knocking me up" for
asking for a wake-up call (by banging on the bedroom door, of course ... )
d:-)

( I speak fluent American as I visit quite often ... !)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"dave" wrote in message
m...
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

protection is active.

I figured out how to pronounce a Led Zeppelin song from reading Andy Capp.
D'yer Maker? is pronounced Jamaica (more or less). The song is a loose
reggae.

Like the joke, I guess. "My wife went to the Carribean." "Jamaica ?"
"No, she went of her own accord ..."

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

!

[...]

I used to be the keyboard player in a band, and we were once playing a
residency on a US Navy base in Spain. A guy came up to me and asked if I
played by ear, to which I replied "no, I usually use my fingers".

He got most upset, thought I was being nasty and taking the mickey.

That bit of British humour just did not cross the Atlantic at all.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...
[...]

Thank you for clarifying, but I can't leave it there.

When written out, /without/ modification (such as verbal inflection or tone of
voice), "crap design" has only one meaning in American or British English -- a
criticism.

Now, if the person had written "crap design " -- there would have been no
argument.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 25 Feb 2014 02:54:51 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I think the slang terms "Taking the ****" and "He's ****ed" are pretty
funny when I think about how they are used where I live. And I've
always wondered about "Bloody". How it became a bad word. And what
happens when someone or something is covered with blood? What do you
say? I like steak rare. I will order it bloody. In a nice restaurant
in London I suppose it woule be a faux pas to order a "bloody steak".
I think I need to look up the etymology of bloody.
Eric

---

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Still, over and
done with, and no point in resurrecting it all again, so we'll just leave
it
there, shall we ?

Thank you for clarifying, but I can't leave it there.

When written out, /without/ modification (such as verbal inflection or
tone of voice), "crap design" has only one meaning in American or British
English -- a criticism.

Now, if the person had written "crap design " -- there would have been
no argument.

Please William, for once, just leave it as I asked, will you ?

Thanks

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa

I think the slang terms "Taking the ****" and "He's ****ed" are pretty
funny when I think about how they are used where I live. And I've
always wondered about "Bloody". How it became a bad word. And what
happens when someone or something is covered with blood? What do you
say? I like steak rare. I will order it bloody. In a nice restaurant
in London I suppose it woule be a faux pas to order a "bloody steak".
I think I need to look up the etymology of bloody.
Eric

---

"He's ****ed" can have two meanings, one of which I'm sure we share, and
that is being a bit mad about something. It's abbreviated from "****ed off".
But here, it also means being drunk, and the process of becoming so is
"getting ****ed". But getting ****ed can of course also mean becoming a bit
angry ... :-)

"Getting hammered" or "He's hammered" are also phrases for drunkenness here.
It can also refer to being under the influence of drugs.

Bloody is a funny one. I've never looked into its origins as a swear word.
It is very mild though, and is often used in conjunction with another word
as an outburst of exasperation or shock as in "Bloody hell!" or "Bloody
Norah" - and no, I've no idea who 'Norah' was ...

Yes, a person covered in blood can be described as bloody, as can a rag or a
handprint or whatever. It's commonly used in that context.

If you asked for a bloody steak in a decent restaurant, they might look at
you a bit sideways, but would understand what you wanted. In anything less
that a decent one, they would probably just not understand you at all, and
would think that you were swearing. Some restaurants won't even serve a
bloody steak, such is the Health and Safety madness here now. All the same
definitions of steak temperature apply here as well as in the U.S. but the
same temperature is normally a little less here, so if you ordered a 'rare'
steak here, it would normally be a bit pinker than you would be used to if
you asked for it rare your side of the pond. If you ask for it very rare, it
will normally be a little bloody in the middle. If you want a piece of meat
that a vet could bring back to life, you can ask for a 'blue' steak. This
has been really quickly flash cooked, and is only about 2 points to the
right of raw through to the core.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:

"Getting hammered" or "He's hammered" are also phrases for drunkenness here.
It can also refer to being under the influence of drugs.

I believe there's also a sexual connotation, in some contexts.

Bloody is a funny one. I've never looked into its origins as a swear
word.

One theory is that it comes from "B'r Lady" or "By our Lady" (a
sacrilegious reference to the Virgin Mary). There are lots of
competing theories... it seems as if nobody really knows for sure.

If you ask for it very rare, it
will normally be a little bloody in the middle. If you want a piece of meat
that a vet could bring back to life, you can ask for a 'blue' steak. This
has been really quickly flash cooked, and is only about 2 points to the
right of raw through to the core.

A college friend of mine used to use the instruction "Show it to a
picture of a flame for ten seconds."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've always wondered about "Bloody". How it became a bad word.

"Bloody" is a corruption of "by our Lord". It is "bad" because it's considered
disrespectful to use it as a derogatory term.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The Gilbert & Sullivan opera "Ruddigore" was originally titled "Ruddygore".
People actually refused to see it because of the resemblance of "ruddy" to
"bloody". So Gilbert changed the name.

When someone asked Gilbert "How's old 'Bloodygore' coming?", he replied "If I
say I like your ruddy complexion -- which I do -- it does not mean I like your
bloody cheek -- which I don't!"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
The Gilbert & Sullivan opera "Ruddigore" was originally titled
"Ruddygore". People actually refused to see it because of the resemblance
of "ruddy" to "bloody". So Gilbert changed the name.

When someone asked Gilbert "How's old 'Bloodygore' coming?", he replied
"If I say I like your ruddy complexion -- which I do -- it does not mean I
like your bloody cheek -- which I don't!"

When I was a lad in the UK, many people commonly chose the word "ruddy" as a
somewhat more polite way of swearing than using the very offensive (at the
time) "bloody".

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I've always wondered about "Bloody". How it became a bad word.

"Bloody" is a corruption of "by our Lord". It is "bad" because it's
considered disrespectful to use it as a derogatory term.

Do you have a reference for that, because it's a completely new one on me?
I've never to the best of my knowledge heard that phrase used, nor even seen
it in any archaic literature. And usually, such 'corruptions' are fairly
easily recognisable from the original phrase - a good example being "Gaw
Blimey" or "Gawd Blimey" or sometimes a corruption on a corruption as "Cor
Blimey". This exclamation of mild surprise derives from 'God blind me', and
it's easy to see how. I'm really struggling to derive "bloody" from "by our
Lord" ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message

I've always wondered about "Bloody". How it became a bad word.

"Bloody" is a corruption of "by our Lord". It is "bad" because it's
considered disrespectful to use it as a derogatory term.

Do you have a reference for that, because it's a completely new one on me?
I've never to the best of my knowledge heard that phrase used, nor even seen
it in any archaic literature. And usually, such 'corruptions' are fairly
easily recognisable from the original phrase - a good example being "Gaw
Blimey" or "Gawd Blimey" or sometimes a corruption on a corruption as "Cor
Blimey". This exclamation of mild surprise derives from 'God blind me', and
it's easy to see how. I'm really struggling to derive "bloody" from "by our
Lord" ...

I read this decades ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember the reference.
Another possible origin is a corruption of "by God's blood".

The OED gives no origin, one is suggested in this quote from Ruskin (1880):

"The use of the word 'bloody' in modern low English is a deeper corruption,
not altering the form of the word, but /defiling the thought in it/."

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

Like the joke, I guess. "My wife went to the Carribean." "Jamaica ?"
"No, she went of her own accord ..."

She drives a Honda?

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

An old US Army joke: If you order a 'Rare' hamburger, they pass it
over a match. If you order a 'Well Done' hamburger, they light the
match.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Headphone socket Manticore UK diy 7 February 14th 11 10:34 AM
How to connect JVC Stereo Cassete Deck(KD-AD2),Stereo Integrated Amplifier(A-S7),Stereo Tuner(T-V3) to RCA Television(FMR 7277ER) Thaqalain Electronics Repair 0 July 30th 05 08:33 AM
HELP: need diagram of a stereo 2.5mm plug to a 2.5mm socket graph 1 Electronics 1 May 30th 04 10:31 PM
Adding Headphone socket to TV Michael Murray UK diy 29 September 10th 03 12:28 AM
Panasonic VCR quit playing back in hi-fi stereo, still records in hi-fi stereo larrymoencurly Electronics Repair 3 August 17th 03 11:08 PM