Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic VCR model AG1980P no HiFi sound on record or Playbac

On Monday, February 10, 2014 11:37:22 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I own six of these machines which I picked up several years ago for a dollar apiece at an auction. I've been using four of them around the house and until recently they have been great machines. These had belonged to a town cable TV access station and it was my understanding that despite the fact that they were in pristine condition when I received them the town was simply upgrading to DVR's and had considered these obsolete. I now have three of them with the same problem. They will not record or play back in Hi Fi mode. Is anyone aware of this being a common known problem with these machines? I only have an operating manual for these but truthfully I've never chased a Hi Fi problem in a VCR so I don't really know where to look. Thanks for any help or advice. Lenny

Thank you very much for the help Jurb. I'm going to look over the manual and see what I can do. You've assisted me on more than one occasion over the years with TV's and other things and your help is very much appreciated. Lenny
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Well, like I said, the first thing is to determine if you have carrier being recorded and/or carrier being detected on playback. Without that there is no way to really know what to look for on the print. You can figure this out using the machines that do still work correctly.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Are you getting no HIFI only or no sound at all? If no sound, verify that the audio head is clean and aligned properly. I would not expect major electronic failures here. Usually the problem is either debris or alignment. THese are solid units with few problems.

Check the simple stuff first. Scope the head signals, the audio output etc.. Use a known good tape preferably a pre-recorded one.

Post any status here.

Dan