Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Harmon Kardon MS-150 ...

Anyone on here had the misfortune to have work on one of these POS ? If so,
how do you get into it ? It's got me beat. Front grille comes off, and a
number of obvious screws then exposed. On the bottom, below the CD drive, is
a plastic 'plate screwed between the front and rear case halves. Remove
that, and the CD drive comes with it. That can all be unplugged and removed.
That then exposes a PCB, again screwed between the front and rear halves.
Four screws out of that, and the board is then adrift, but not going
anywhere, as it is still apparently fixed to the case rear half by a screw
into the phono connector block, that's behind a thick plastic stuck-in trim
panel. With all that lot out, the front case-half appears to be largely
adrift from the rear, except right around the middle, where it 'feels' as
though there's another screw lurking, but nothing visible from any angle,
front or rear.

I've even taken the speakers out to make sure that there are no other screws
behind them.

So I'm stuck now. Anyone know the secret ... ? d:-\

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Have you tried low temp hot air over the stuck on trim, to soften glue
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:25:11 +0000 Adrian C wrote in
Message id: :

[...]

Semtex.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:

[...]

A blue wrench.

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

No, I haven't. There's a limit to the amount of time that I'm prepared to
spend on this consumer junk, governed entirely by the law of diminishing
returns. To be honest, if getting inside it involves removing glued-on
trims, then I am not interested beyond the point that I have now reached. If
someone knew the product enough to say "You have to stand it on one corner
and clout the opposite corner with the heel of your hand" in much the way
that you had to know the 'secret' way to bash monitor cabinets, then fair
enough, but given that there is absolutely no service info out there for the
product, and almost certainly no spares either, then I'm now drawing a line
under it. Tomorrow, it will go back to the shop that took it in, unrepaired.
I have already spoken to them about it, and their response was fair enough

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

No, I haven't. There's a limit to the amount of time that I'm prepared to
spend on this consumer junk, governed entirely by the law of diminishing
returns. To be honest, if getting inside it involves removing glued-on
trims, then I am not interested beyond the point that I have now reached.

To put it a bit more bluntly... Is it not reasonable to assume that a product
that's glued together is not intended to be repaired?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 23/01/2014 17:54, Arfa Daily wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

So nothing learnt then.
My equivalent current situation is an expensive to replace (because of
all the custom-made wiring ) for a 100V distributed PA system and blown
ps, posted below. Flexa rack system, absolutely no useful techy info out
there.
Got some replacement Viper 12A SMPS ICs today, to replace the
malfunctioning one in there. If some other downstream problem after
that,then will at least have found and reported the info discovered so
far. At least that amp has industry standard components , idents not
rubbed off . No custom firmware uC so eminently repairable compared to a
lot of anonymised stuff
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

No, I haven't. There's a limit to the amount of time that I'm prepared to
spend on this consumer junk, governed entirely by the law of diminishing
returns. To be honest, if getting inside it involves removing glued-on
trims, then I am not interested beyond the point that I have now reached.

To put it a bit more bluntly... Is it not reasonable to assume that a
product that's glued together is not intended to be repaired?

If something is genuinely glued together, then it gets little more than a
cursory look if it crosses my bench. However, this one was slightly
different from that in that it had lots of obvious screws holding the case
halves together, and when these were removed, it was 'almost' coming apart
in the way that you would expect, but something else, right in the middle,
was still preventing it from coming all the way. I'm sure that a bit of
brute force and ignorance would have seen it apart, but it's a fancy
expensive-looking (and probably /actually/ expensive) item, and I was
concerned that something visible might 'give', leaving nasty damage ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

WHO the heck are they trying to be: http://static.bootic.com/_pictures/1...don-ms-150.jpg BOSE?!

That thing looks like the Revel Resort in Atlantic City -LMAO!! At least they could have incorporated the iPod Dock into the cabinet, instead of tacking it onto the side like an afterthought.

I say flip it over and start unscrewing from the bottom.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

[...]

Sounds like a screw hidden under a label or sticker.

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

[...]

Well, that was my thought too, but my eyes, a strong light, a strong
magnifying glass, a bloody great screwdriver to lever the case apart as far
as it would come, and 40+ years of experience persuading this sort of ****
to come apart, failed to find any such .... :-(

Arfa