Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default 1/4" phone jack replacement for Behringer 215 speaker.

This Behringer 215 speaker has two 1/4" phone jacks that are wired in
parallel. It also has two Speakon jacks wired in parallel to facilitate
adding extra speakers to the system. The unit came to me with one broken
1/4" phone jack. The picture of the pc board is here.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...r/pc-board.jpg
The Speakon jacks were fastened to the back panel of the cabinet with two
screws per jack. On the other end of the screw was a nut. Unfortunately, the
nut wasn't anchored to anything so it was futile to try and remove the
screw. The circuit board prevented me from inserting any tool in there to
hold the nut while I was turning the screw. You can see the results. I
replaced the Speakon jacks, no problem.

With the help of a Mouser telephone tech to match the original part, I
ordered replacement 1/4" phone jacks, manufacturer part number NYS232.
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...7cmiFF RuQ%3d
The owner suggested I replaced both of them as long as I had it apart. The
parts arrived and I installed them. I wired everything back in place.
Something told me to check the input impedance of the speaker with a
multimeter just to make sure it was wired probably. It was a good thing I
did. It measured a direct short from the speaker plug input. After searching
up and down for a short, I didn't find any until I inserted the phone plug
into the jack. That's when an internal contact in the jack switched to a
different position and shorted out the plug. Ok, I guess this jack will not
work on this pc board. I called Behringer's parts department and had them
research the original part. After a day or two of researching, I received a
call back from Behringer and ordered the parts. I received the parts today.
Excited to finally get the speaker repaired, I removed the Mouser jacks and
put in the Behringer jacks, same thing. Direct short across the input
terminals. Then I looked inside and noticed there wasn't any difference in
the terminal configuration between the Mouser jack and the replacement
Behringer jack. I will call Behringer back on Monday to discuss this
situation but meanwhile, do any of you know what kind of 1/4" phone jack is
supposed to fit on this pc board?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Farber wrote:
[...]

Another piece of information here. If I plug in a stereo phone plug, then
there is no short circuit. Is there some industry standard to use stereo
phone plugs in this type of application? That seems a bit strange to me.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Farber"

This Behringer 215 speaker has two 1/4" phone jacks that are wired in
parallel. It also has two Speakon jacks wired in parallel to facilitate
adding extra speakers to the system. The unit came to me with one broken
1/4" phone jack. The picture of the pc board is here.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...r/pc-board.jpg
The Speakon jacks were fastened to the back panel of the cabinet with two
screws per jack. On the other end of the screw was a nut. Unfortunately,
the nut wasn't anchored to anything so it was futile to try and remove the
screw. The circuit board prevented me from inserting any tool in there to
hold the nut while I was turning the screw.

** A small, long blade screwdriver does the trick - just wedge the tip
between the nut and the body of the Speakon to prevent it turning.

The jack sockets should be "mono" versions - stereo ones will short out as
you have found.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Farber"

Another piece of information here. If I plug in a stereo phone plug, then
there is no short circuit. Is there some industry standard to use stereo
phone plugs in this type of application?

** No way.

Mono plugs are always used for speaker leads.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:
"David Farber"

[...]

Thanks for the confirmation of the mono plug and the trick to remove the
screw in the Speakon jack.

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 12/01/2014 01:33, David Farber wrote:
[...]

Just a thought, are the outputs in antiphase and just one of them is
exhibiting this "fault" if you check to chassis ground?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It's amazing Fran Allyson didn't jump all over you.

The 1/4" phone jack is (supposedly) a balanced line-level input. If you plug a
mono plug into it, the plug's sleeve will short the jack's ring to ground.
This is normal; there's nothing inherently wrong with this. It's one way
unbalanced signals can be connected to balanced inputs.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B215.aspx

I suspect you have a problem that isn't really a problem.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
It's amazing Fran Allyson didn't jump all over you.

The 1/4" phone jack is (supposedly) a balanced line-level input. If
you plug a mono plug into it, the plug's sleeve will short the jack's
ring to ground. This is normal; there's nothing inherently wrong with
this. It's one way unbalanced signals can be connected to balanced
inputs.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B215.aspx

I suspect you have a problem that isn't really a problem.

Hi William,

I think if you take an ohmmeter and connect it to a speaker input, and it
measures the lowest reading that it can display, that would be cause for
concern. The only time this happens is when the stereo plug is inserted into
the jack even when the plug isn't connected to anything. How do you perceive
that this isn't a problem?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N_Cook wrote:
[...]

I'm not sure what you mean by outputs. Do you mean the amplifier outputs? I
have not connected it to any amplifier as of yet. I'm just measuring the dc
resistance of the speaker at the input jack.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Farber" wrote in message ...
William Sommerwerck wrote:

The 1/4" phone jack is (supposedly) a balanced line-level input. If
you plug a mono plug into it, the plug's sleeve will short the jack's
ring to ground. This is normal; there's nothing inherently wrong with
this. It's one way unbalanced signals can be connected to balanced
inputs.
http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B215.aspx
I suspect you have a problem that isn't really a problem.

Hi William,

I think if you take an ohmmeter and connect it to a speaker input, and it
measures the lowest reading that it can display, that would be cause for
concern. The only time this happens is when the stereo plug is inserted into
the jack even when the plug isn't connected to anything. How do you perceive
that this isn't a problem?

As far as I can tell, this isn't a speaker input -- it's a balanced amplifier
input. There is no reason why a mono plug or stereo plug should show a short.

Your description of what's going on seems inconsistent and confused.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

The are two Speakon and two 1/4" phone jacks wired in parallel that are
situated in the back of the speaker cabinet. It's not a powered speaker. The
inside of the speaker cabinet contains a crossover pc board, a woofer, and a
midrange speaker. When I replaced the damaged 1/4" phone jack and checked
continuity across the pc board input with the speakers disconnected, it
measured open circuit. When I put a monaural phone plug into the jack, I
rechecked the continuity and it was shorted. The monaural phone plug was not
connected to anything on the other end so the short had to becoming from the
jack itself. Does that make sense?

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

William, why do you keep doing this?

If you had bothered to do your research properly you will have discovered
that the Behringer B215 is a loudspeaker.
It has no internal amplifiers, the jack sockets are simply in parallel with
the Speakon sockets and do exactly the same job.

Clearly there is a problem with the replacement jack socket that seems to
provide a short with a mono jack plug inserted in it.

David, my usual technique where the original socket cannot easily be
replaced is to simply use a chassis mounted switched jack socket hard wired
to the PCB, if space allows it, after carefully working out what connections
to connect to where.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

Hi Gareth,

There is lots of space to drill a new hole and mount another jack. Then it
doesn't have to fit the pc board directly. Why would it have to be a
switched jack? What would it be switching?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

[...]

A switched jack will just cover all possibilities. You can use the
switching or ignore it, the cost is pretty much the same.

I can't see how a switched jack might be used in this unit, but nor can I
see how inserting a mono jack plug into the replacement socket can cause a
short, so something in the wiring is amiss.

You might not need to drill a new hole, you may be able to fit the chassis
mounting socket in the original hole, and just run wires from it to the PCB.
Hot melt glue or silicone sealant will secure and insulate it.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 01/11/2014 05:33 PM, David Farber wrote:
[...]

Tell Del Hopkins I said "hi". Thanks.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis"

William, why do you keep doing this?

** The Sommer****** fails to read his own words, let alone other's.

If you had bothered to do your research properly you will have discovered
that the Behringer B215 is a loudspeaker.

** The heading alone makes that clear.

Then the pic backs it up.

It has no internal amplifiers, the jack sockets are simply in parallel
with the Speakon sockets and do exactly the same job.

** But Speakons do it way better and are not prone to shorting.

Clearly there is a problem with the replacement jack socket that seems to
provide a short with a mono jack plug inserted in it.

** Yep - it a stereo jack with the ring contact wired to the tip contact via
the PCB.

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message news
William, why do you keep doing this?

Do what?

If you had bothered to do your research properly you will have
discovered that the Behringer B215 is a loudspeaker.
It has no internal amplifiers, the jack sockets are simply in
parallel with the Speakon sockets and do exactly the same job.

I did do my research properly, because I knew I would be subjected to this
crap. Did you look at the B215 link I supplied? The B215 is A POWERED SPEAKER,
and the 1/4" phone jack is a balanced input. READ WHAT IT SAYS on the Details
tab.

If there's something wrong, it's with Berenger's product sheet -- not my
ability to read or understand it. Or perhaps David Farber gave the wrong model
number. This might very well be the case, because the drawing doesn't show a
Speakon connection.

I normally don't ask for apologies -- but in this case, I'll make an
exception. Someone owes me an apology. Don't tell me I don't know how to
interpret a product sheet.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message ...

Clearly there is a problem with the replacement jack socket that
seems to provide a short with a mono jack plug inserted in it.

** Yep -- it's a stereo jack with the ring contact wired to the
tip contact via the PCB.

Now, why would any manufacturer in its right mind wire a stereo jack -- input
or output -- in such a way that inserting a mono plug would short out the
signal? Oh, wait -- it's Behringer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommer******"

I did do my research properly, because I knew I would be subjected to this
crap. Did you look at the B215 link I supplied? The B215 is A POWERED
SPEAKER, and the 1/4" phone jack is a balanced input. READ WHAT IT SAYS on
the Details tab.

** The B215 is a passive speaker - as stated at the top of the first page
of the link.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B215.aspx

Says: " * 2 professional speaker connectors (compatible with Neutrik Speakon
connectors) plus ¼'' jack connectors."

The "details" tab give you a different model - the B215D which
incorporates a class D amplifier.

The OP made it VERY clear which model he was on about.

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommer****** SNIPPING MANIAC "

"Phil Allison"
Clearly there is a problem with the replacement jack socket that
seems to provide a short with a mono jack plug inserted in it.

** Yep -- it's a stereo jack with the ring contact wired to the
tip contact via the PCB.

Now, why would any manufacturer in its right mind wire a stereo jack

** But no manufacturer did.

The OP did that himself when he fitted the wrong part.

Which is obvious if you read the ****ing post un SNIPPED !!!!!!!!!!

..... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Gareth Magennis"

William, why do you keep doing this?

** The Sommer****** fails to read his own words, let alone other's.

If you had bothered to do your research properly you will have discovered
that the Behringer B215 is a loudspeaker.

** The heading alone makes that clear.

Then the pic backs it up.

It has no internal amplifiers, the jack sockets are simply in parallel
with the Speakon sockets and do exactly the same job.

** But Speakons do it way better and are not prone to shorting.

Clearly there is a problem with the replacement jack socket that seems to
provide a short with a mono jack plug inserted in it.

** Yep - it a stereo jack with the ring contact wired to the tip contact
via the PCB.

... Phil

It may be easiest in this case to use this "wrong" socket by modifying the
PCB traces, thus retaining the mounting between PCB and backplate and having
an easily replaceable part in the future.

It is not uncommon now to find chinese manufactured parts that look very
similar to off the shelf western parts but having different pinouts. I seem
to remember our Mr Cook reporting something along these lines here a while
ago (TRS = RTS?)

One I saw recently was a PCB mount switched jack socket where the switched
terminals were on the opposite side of the socket to just about every other
switched jack socket in existance, so the switching action would not work
with a generic replacement, even though it fitted perfectly.
(this was either a Laney or Crate guitar combo)

Seems this may be the case here.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis"

One I saw recently was a PCB mount switched jack socket where the switched
terminals were on the opposite side of the socket to just about every
other switched jack socket in existance, so the switching action would not
work with a generic replacement, even though it fitted perfectly.
(this was either a Laney or Crate guitar combo)

** Seen the exact same thing myself.

Luckily, it was possible to remove the metal parts from the socket and
reverse them.

Seems both Re-An and Cliff can supply mirror image versions - if you want
them.

Gotta be smarter then the "average bear" if repairs are you game .....

.... Phil

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"June Allyson" wrote in message ...

I did do my research properly, because I knew I would be subjected to this
crap. Did you look at the B215 link I supplied? The B215 is A POWERED
SPEAKER, and the 1/4" phone jack is a balanced input. READ WHAT IT SAYS on
the Details tab.

** The B215 is a passive speaker -- as stated at the top of the first page
of the link.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/B215.aspx

Says: " * 2 professional speaker connectors (compatible with Neutrik Speakon
connectors) plus ¼'' jack connectors."

The "details" tab give you a different model -- the B215D which
incorporates a class D amplifier.

The OP made it VERY clear which model he was on about.

Maybe. You will perhaps forgive me for making the not-unreasonable assumption
that a product sheet is supposed to be about one product, not two. (Yes, I saw
the B215D model number on the Details page.)

I'm still wondering why any company would use a stereo connector for a mono
circuit -- but who said the world is rational?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Farber" wrote in message
This Behringer 215 speaker has two 1/4" phone jacks that are wired in
parallel. It also has two Speakon jacks wired in parallel to facilitate
adding extra speakers to the system. The unit came to me with one broken
1/4" phone jack. The picture of the pc board is here.
http://webpages.charter.net/mrfixite...r/pc-board.jpg

David,

I have just found a switched jack socket in my workshop similar to the
Switchcraft style ones in your photo.
Looking at the left PCB print in your photo, the one I have here connects
the jack centre pin to the "12 O'clock" contact and the jack ground to the
"7 O'clock contact. However, inserting the jack also connects the jack
ground to the "3 O'clock" contact, meaning jack centre pin and ground are
shorted together since the PCB has 12 O'clock and 3 O'clock positions
shorted.
Remove this shorting on the PCB and your socket will probably work OK.

Alternatively, just remove the 3 Oclock pin from the socket, though the
first method is much safer and more sensible.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote:
[...]

I called Behringer parts back this morning and told them I received the
wrong parts and why they were the wrong parts. I got a call back after some
research was done and they are shipping me the correct parts this time. They
can't mess this order up twice, can they? (-:

The pc board is multi-layered so I really don't want to mess with that.
Let's see if the replacement parts are the correct ones.

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

David Farber wrote:
Gareth Magennis wrote:
[...]

I received the new jacks and they were the correct ones. The speaker works
fine now. I did notice one strange thing about the midrange driver. When I
went to push the connectors onto the terminal block, the driver started to
rotate in its mount. I didn't see any mounting screws that would hold it
securely in place. This can't be normal can it?

Thanks for your reply.
--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Monday, January 20, 2014 10:35:06 AM UTC-7, David Farber wrote:
David Farber wrote:
I received the new jacks and they were the correct ones. The speaker works
fine now. I did notice one strange thing about the midrange driver. When I
went to push the connectors onto the terminal block, the driver started to
rotate in its mount. I didn't see any mounting screws that would hold it
securely in place. This can't be normal can it?

In my experience with Behringer, having anything of theirs operate correctly for an expected period of time is abnormal. I am not surprised they sent you the wrong part, I am surprised you apparently spoke with a live human on-shore about it.

Yours truly,

Mr. Klay Anderson, D.A.,Q.B.E.