Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default What's it called ... ?

Anyone know the name or catalogue description of that flat ribbon cable,
usually grey but sometimes black, that has a sort of 'web' between the
conductors, and is tinned when you strip it ? Each individual wire is
probably about one wire-width distant from its neighbours, so a piece say 8
conductors wide would be about the same width as a 'traditional' ribbon of
16 conductors. It's used to interconnect boards typically - think HK Actor
or various Fender combos that have the preamp tubes on separate sub boards.
Also used with those dreadful snatch connectors where the contacts grip the
soldered wire surface so hard that you always finish up with the tinned
tails bending, which then makes them a bitch to get back into the connector.

Anyone ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 10:01:10 -0000 "Arfa Daily"
wrote in Message id: :

Anyone know the name or catalogue description of that flat ribbon cable,
usually grey but sometimes black, that has a sort of 'web' between the
conductors, and is tinned when you strip it ? Each individual wire is
probably about one wire-width distant from its neighbours, so a piece say 8
conductors wide would be about the same width as a 'traditional' ribbon of
16 conductors. It's used to interconnect boards typically - think HK Actor
or various Fender combos that have the preamp tubes on separate sub boards.
Also used with those dreadful snatch connectors where the contacts grip the
soldered wire surface so hard that you always finish up with the tinned
tails bending, which then makes them a bitch to get back into the connector.

Anyone ?

Arfa

Possibly?
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...300-ND/1832096
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

:

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

Or better yet
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...100-ND/1107830
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"What do you call that brown candy that tastes like chocolate?"

You're probably trying to think of the name of the connector -- an "insulation
displacement" connector.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Anyone know the name or catalogue description of that flat ribbon cable,
usually grey but sometimes black, that has a sort of 'web' between the
conductors, and is tinned when you strip it ? Each individual wire is
probably about one wire-width distant from its neighbours, so a piece say 8
conductors wide would be about the same width as a 'traditional' ribbon of
16 conductors. It's used to interconnect boards typically - think HK Actor
or various Fender combos that have the preamp tubes on separate sub boards.
Also used with those dreadful snatch connectors where the contacts grip the
soldered wire surface so hard that you always finish up with the tinned
tails bending, which then makes them a bitch to get back into the connector.

Something like this?
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/206111/16540597/0/1349446147/2_0_kapton_ribbon_Cable_ul5188.jpg
http://www.diytrade.com/china/pd/7565316/2_0_kapton_ribbon_Cable_ul5188.html

I once found a vendor that will supply such ribbon cables cut to
length, but only if I buy them by the thousands. I only needed one,
to fix an oven controller, so I tediously made my own from individual
solid wires and tape. (Hint: The tape glue eventually melted in the
oven. Next time, I'll use RTV).

I don't think there's a specific name for such cable. It's just flat
ribbon cable.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

For the reasons posted earlier, I tend to salvage all kinds of ribbin cables from non-repairable units. Fixed many a unit with scrap cables. Much easier than the wire/tape method.

Dan
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

news
wrote:

[...]

That's the right sort of spacing, and I know exactly what that stuff is.
It's still not quite right though. The stuff shown there is made from flat
conductors, a bit like flexiprint, that are folded round into 'tubes' where
they emerge from the insulation, to form sort of connection 'pins' for
soldering into a pcb

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

This is about as close as I've found so far

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOLEX-8820...item5af27135a6

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily submitted this idea :
Anyone know the name or catalogue description of that flat ribbon cable,
usually grey but sometimes black, that has a sort of 'web' between the
conductors, and is tinned when you strip it ? Each individual wire is
probably about one wire-width distant from its neighbours, so a piece say 8
conductors wide would be about the same width as a 'traditional' ribbon of 16
conductors. It's used to interconnect boards typically - think HK Actor or
various Fender combos that have the preamp tubes on separate sub boards. Also
used with those dreadful snatch connectors where the contacts grip the
soldered wire surface so hard that you always finish up with the tinned tails
bending, which then makes them a bitch to get back into the connector.

Anyone ?

Arfa

It is called a "flat flex cable"

filtered for solder tab to solder tab.

many examples here
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...=0&pageSize=25

and specifically one sample
http://www.digikey.com/product-detai...202E-ND/470369

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 02/12/2013 10:01, Arfa Daily wrote:
Anyone know the name or catalogue description of that flat ribbon cable,
usually grey but sometimes black, that has a sort of 'web' between the
conductors, and is tinned when you strip it ? Each individual wire is
probably about one wire-width distant from its neighbours, so a piece
say 8 conductors wide would be about the same width as a 'traditional'
ribbon of 16 conductors. It's used to interconnect boards typically -
think HK Actor or various Fender combos that have the preamp tubes on
separate sub boards. Also used with those dreadful snatch connectors
where the contacts grip the soldered wire surface so hard that you
always finish up with the tinned tails bending, which then makes them a
bitch to get back into the connector.

Anyone ?

Arfa

I call it "bugger it (forgot the damn hotmelt)" Unless you run a fillet
of hotmelt along the solder point line, at least one of the filaments
break at a solder point on moving the ribbon

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

These guys have a lot of ribbon cable:

http://www.apexelectronic.com/image/tid/48
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 12:09:14 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

.. .

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

That looks pretty much like it. Looks like it's made by 3M. I'll do some
more hunting based on that. Thanks for your input

Arfa

It is made by 3M. We used to get it from Mouser or Digikey to repair
Sony BetaCam decks. Some operators would constantly move the control
panel up and down breaking the ribbon cable link. Chuck
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Sun, 08 Dec 2013 17:27:39 -0600 chuck wrote in Message
id: :

On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 12:09:14 -0000, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

. ..

wrote in Message id: :

[...]

Weird. All of Arfa's posts after the original in this thread are not
available on Astraweb's server. In any case, you're welcome.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
Anyone know the name or catalogue description of that flat ribbon
cable, usually grey but sometimes black, that has a sort of 'web'
between the conductors, and is tinned when you strip it ?

I call it "power ribbon cable", but I don't know if that's the official
name. It is all over the place in the larger Japanese consumer
equipment I have taken the lids off of, like VCRs and stereos. Along
that line, I Googled up some Japanese wire companies, but I can't find
any that admit to making it, at least on their English web sites.

Anyone ?

3M 8132 might be closer to what you want; it is 18 AWG wires (about 0.8
mm^2) on 0.156" (3.96 mm) centers. They seem to call it "power flat
cable". More information might be available at this hideous link:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl1NNRWNJR31bl

The same thing with resistor colors and 22 AWG wires (about 0.3 mm^2) is
3391:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...gl1NNRWNJR31bl

Matt Roberds

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Thanks Matt. I'll take a look when I have a minute

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message ...
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

What's it called? Steve B[_13_] Home Repair 34 April 9th 13 06:45 AM
What is it called when... gremlin_95[_3_] UK diy 14 November 7th 12 12:04 AM
What are they called? John UK diy 2 April 1st 09 02:34 PM
What is this called?? crmay Home Repair 3 December 31st 05 06:15 PM
What are they called? Rick UK diy 26 December 1st 05 11:35 PM