Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default TV antenna question

My buddy doesn't have cable where he lives so I got him this antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do I hook it up to his TV?

He has a tube TV with a coaxial connector.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

--

The instructions packed with the antenna should describe how to hook it up
to just about any TV.

Cheers,
Dave M

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

My buddy doesn't have cable where he lives so I got him this antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
How do I hook it up to his TV?
He has a tube [sic] TV with a coaxial connector.

You mean a CRT TV.

Problem... It won't work.

Analog broadcasts have all-but disappeared. He needs a converter.

Quite conveniently, I have an unused Zenith DT-990 I'd be happy to sell.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

My buddy doesn't have cable where he lives so I got him this antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do I hook it up to his TV?

He has a tube TV with a coaxial connector.

Depending on his TV, you may very well need some additional equipment
to make this setup work.

The actual antenna-to-TV arrangement is fairly straightforward and
should be described in the instructions packed with the box.
Basically: mount antenna and rotator on a mast on the roof. Ground
the mast (you'll need a separate heavy-gauge grounding wire and a
ground rod, probably available at a good hardware store). The antenna
comes with a 40' length of coax cable - attach one end to the antenna
and run the other down and into the building (add a "drip loop" at the
bottom just before it comes indoors) and to near the TV. Connect this
to the "antenna" input on the control box which comes with the
antenna. The antenna comes with a second (1') length of coax cable...
use this to connect the control box to the TV's coaxial connector.
Plug the control box into AC power (it may have either a full power
cord or a "wall wart").

At this point you should have a signal, and should be able to use the
remote control which comes with the antenna setup to rotate the
antenna to point it towards various TV station transmitter sites.

And, you may not be able to see a picture. Most "tube" TVs will
handle only analog (NTSC or PAL) television signals. The US and most
other countries have switched over to digital TV transmission, and
older TV sets won't see them as anything but noise.

To receive digital TV you'll either need a newer television (probably
flat-panel), or will need to attach a "digital TV converter" between
the antenna control box and the TV's coaxial input. These are fairly
easily available here in the US (they were being sold via a subsidized
"coupon" system a few years ago in order to ease the switchover to
digital TV) and you can probably find one on CraigsList or in a local
thrift store if you look around.

Most older cable-TV systems are still distributing at least the basic
channels in analog form, and don't require a converter box for basic
service. That is no longer true of over-the-air TV broadcasts in the
US; analog TV is for all practical purposes gone.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sunday, May 19, 2013 2:39:12 PM UTC-4, William Sommerwerck wrote:
My buddy doesn't have cable where he lives so I got him this antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do I hook it up to his TV?

He has a tube [sic] TV with a coaxial connector.

You mean a CRT TV.

Problem... It won't work.

Analog broadcasts have all-but disappeared. He needs a converter.

Quite conveniently, I have an unused Zenith DT-990 I'd be happy to sell.

Some CRT TVs did include ATSC tuners. OP's buddy may have such a TV

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Dave M" wrote in message
Jon wrote:
My buddy doesn't have cable where he lives so I got him this antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do I hook it up to his TV?

He has a tube TV with a coaxial connector.

--

The instructions packed with the antenna should describe how to hook it up
to just about any TV.
Having never seen this antenna, nor any like it, I'm guessing, but
installation appears logical. The package has a 40 foot piece of coax in
it. He'll have to find a route to run the coax down from the antenna,
through the house to the TV. The other end of that coax probably connects
into the control box.

If the cable runs down the outside and enters through a hole in the wall -
don't forget a "drip-loop".

You need a loop hanging down for rain water to drip from instead of running
down the cable and into the house.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 05/19/2013 03:04 PM, Jon wrote:
My buddy doesn't have cable where he lives so I got him this antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do I hook it up to his TV?

He has a tube TV with a coaxial connector.

Don't hook it up to the T.V.

It will be more useful if you throw the antenna through the CRT.

Hearing the CRT break and watching it fall to the floor in pieces is way
more funny than any 'comedy' on CBS/NBC.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 05/19/2013 09:48 PM, John-Del wrote:
On Sunday, May 19, 2013 2:39:12 PM UTC-4, William Sommerwerck wrote:
My buddy doesn't have cable where he lives so I got him this antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do I hook it up to his TV?

He has a tube [sic] TV with a coaxial connector.

You mean a CRT TV.

Problem... It won't work.

Analog broadcasts have all-but disappeared. He needs a converter.

Quite conveniently, I have an unused Zenith DT-990 I'd be happy to sell.

Some CRT TVs did include ATSC tuners. OP's buddy may have such a TV

They haven't sold CRT TVs with ATSC tuners in a few years. Given the
build quality of such Chinese trash, I wouldn't be surprised if it was
already on it's way to the trash, where it belongs.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 05/19/2013 06:39 PM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
My buddy doesn't have cable where he lives so I got him this antenna:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do I hook it up to his TV?
He has a tube [sic] TV with a coaxial connector.

You mean a CRT TV.

Problem... It won't work.

Analog broadcasts have all-but disappeared. He needs a converter.

Quite conveniently, I have an unused Zenith DT-990 I'd be happy to sell.

Why buy it. Watching snow and listening to static is much more
entertaining that the Zionist propaganda trash that passes for
"television programming."
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 05/22/2013 04:09 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"Dave M" wrote in message
Jon wrote:
My buddy doesn't have cable where he lives so I got him this antenna:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

How do I hook it up to his TV?

He has a tube TV with a coaxial connector.

--

The instructions packed with the antenna should describe how to hook
it up to just about any TV.
Having never seen this antenna, nor any like it, I'm guessing, but
installation appears logical. The package has a 40 foot piece of coax
in it. He'll have to find a route to run the coax down from the
antenna, through the house to the TV. The other end of that coax
probably connects into the control box.

If the cable runs down the outside and enters through a hole in the wall
- don't forget a "drip-loop".

You need a loop hanging down for rain water to drip from instead of
running down the cable and into the house.

Or it might run down the cable and into the TV, thus shorting the ****er
out and therefore liberating oneself from Zionist brainwashing.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've had limited succcess with HDTV antenae. My uncle apparently replaced
his roof antena with some amplifier he got from Radio Shack. I get different
stations in different parts of the house. But I agree, tv is largely
worthless, so paying for cable is a waste.

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

[snip]

If the cable runs down the outside and enters through a hole in the wall -
don't forget a "drip-loop".

You need a loop hanging down for rain water to drip from instead of
running down the cable and into the house.

You'll need a coax lightning arrester and grounding point as well.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Dyslexics have more fnu.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

[snip]

If the cable runs down the outside and enters through a hole in the
wall -
don't forget a "drip-loop".

You need a loop hanging down for rain water to drip from instead of
running down the cable and into the house.

You'll need a coax lightning arrester and grounding point as well.

Its such an excercise in futility - few people bother!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 3 Jun 2013, Ian Field wrote:

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

[snip]

If the cable runs down the outside and enters through a hole in the wall -
don't forget a "drip-loop".

You need a loop hanging down for rain water to drip from instead of
running down the cable and into the house.

You'll need a coax lightning arrester and grounding point as well.

Its such an excercise in futility - few people bother!

I once lost a modem due to a fairly close lightning strike. I remember
how loud the boom was, and then my modem (an internal 28.8 or maybe 36.6)
still worked but was really slow. Wait, I had the modem going through a
power bar (actually a metal box, that old or good), it having two phone
jacks with some sort of MOV or whatever in case of lightning. And the
MOVs or whatever in the powerbar shorted out. Once I realized that, the
modem kind of worked, but was sluggish, like something had gone but enough
signal got through to allow some operation, albeit with a lot of resends.

I never replaced that powerbar, I just took the risk of losing another
modem. But it surely makes a case for that extra protection.

Michael

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Michael Black" wrote in message
news:alpine.LNX.2.02.1306031235580.27611@darkstar. example.org...
On Mon, 3 Jun 2013, Ian Field wrote:

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote in message
Ian Field wrote:

[snip]

[...]

There's all sorts of reasons to avoid internal modems like the plague - the
last one I had didn't have its own precessor and relied on the MOBO CPU to
do all the heavy lifting.

Last time I used a POTS modem, was an external - I made an extension lead to
reach from from the wall jack to my desk, that terminated in a loose wall
jack plate with added telecom grade gas discharge surge arrestors, they were
grounded by heavy braid to the PC case.

MOVs are OK, but they degrade a little with every transient event and at
some point in the future will fail to protect.