Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default The shape of things to come ... ?

On 05/16/2013 5:47 AM, ScottWW wrote:

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message ...

So the week got off to a great start. I've got a Dual CS505-3 phono deck on
tension. And of course, it detaches and flies ...

I have combed every square inch of the floor under light strong enough to
burn your eyes out, but nope, it's gone ...

Don'cha just HATE it when **** like this happens :-\

Arfa

-------------------------

My brother was a lapidarist. Whenever a gem flew off the dopstick while
being worked on the wheel, he would find a similar sized and weighted
stone and recreate the trajectory while watching carefully and he always
would seem to find them both within a meter or two.

Must have read Tom Sawyer...

"But it occurred to him that he might as well have the marble he had
just thrown away, and therefore he went and made a patient search for
it. But he could not find it. Now he went back to his treasure-house and
carefully placed himself just as he had been standing when he tossed the
marble away; then he took another marble from his pocket and tossed it
in the same way, saying:

"Brother, go find your brother!"

He watched where it stopped, and went there and looked. But it must
have fallen short or gone too far; so he tried twice more. The last
repetition was successful. The two marbles lay within a foot of each
other. "

John :-#)#
www.flippers.com
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 16 May 2013 01:58:47 +0100, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

"N_Cook" wrote in message
John-Del wrote in message
On Monday, May 13, 2013 8:44:38 PM UTC-4, Arfa Daily wrote:

I have combed every square inch of the floor under light strong enough to

burn your eyes out, but nope, it's gone ...

It might be, but it might be something else. My brother always figured
that
tiny objects, when they fly off into space, such as your spring, c-clips,
tiny screws, etc., actually are right there where they landed. However,
while they are in the correct physical plane, they are in the wrong
temporal
plane. In time, they will often reappear right where they were believed
be in the first place.

+++++++++++
while on the meta-physical
I want to know why is it , when you actually catch sight of the thing
flying
off , its never anywhere near where that projected-on trajectory would
make
it land

I think that it is actually worse than that. I have watched items actually
touch down, but when you reach for the place that you absolutely know that
they landed, they are nowhere to be found. The likelihood of ever finding
them is directly proportional to the obscurity of the part, multiplied by
its availability as a spare ...

Arfa

The reason you can't find the part is because of the uncertainty
principle. You cannot know an item's position and velocity at the same
time. So even though you saw it touch down it kept moving. And the
closer you saw to where it actually touched down the faster it moved
away. So if you knew EXACTLY where it touched down it moved away at
the speed of light.
Eric
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
Wild_Bill wrote in message
There are those enclosures for handling hazardous materials or a
sand/beadblast cabinet could be utilized and those even have an outlet

tube
for recycling the media. That's where the paper cup would be placed to

catch
the miniature part(s).

Fairly often, when I can't find a particular item, it suddenly appears

when
I start looking for something different.

--
Cheers,
WB

wrote in message ...
Wild_Bill wrote:
Build a 3-sided booth with an enclosed top, lined with sticky rodent/
insect trap material.
Strong magnetic panels, same booth style.

I keep thinking of something sort of like a shower stall but with no
plumbing. Totally smooth walls, some part of them transparent, with
millions of lumens of lighting behind them. There has to be a door to
get in, but when you close it behind you, it fits so closely to the
wall
that you can't see the gap. (Reference the sphere that drops through
the rings of the machine in the movie "Contact".)

You go into this room or booth when you want to take something apart
that you suspect has tiny parts, or parts under thousands of pounds
of spring force. No matter where the part goes, it has to be
*somewhere* in the booth.

There are probably some thermal issues with it, though. (Humans
radiate a fair amount of heat.)

Very high speed video of the work area and "all ya gotta do is" play
back in slow motion.

When I first thought up that booth, this would have been insanely
expensive. Now it's down to just really expensive.

Matt Roberds

I assume people following this thread know of this circlip tip. Rarely
loose
one on removal as you can trap in the fingers. To avoid it springing off
on
fixing back the circlip , tie a piece of cotton to it and anchor it to
something, before replacing the circlip

A kind soul on here is now getting me a genuine replacement spring as he
deals directly with Dual. I had already decided that it was going to get a
bit of very fine copper wire wrapped around the middle of it and anchored
down somewhere, before I attempt to fit it ...

Arfa

Shape Ups,Men's Shape Ups,Men's Skechers Shape Ups - new styles! jasmine shen UK diy 0 August 8th 10 12:42 PM
How would you cut this shape? RicodJour Woodworking 6 March 19th 06 06:47 PM
Die Shape Question Name Metalworking 2 January 30th 06 06:03 PM
How to shape a daggerboard? Toller Woodworking 15 September 26th 05 09:56 PM
When to shape and when to route? Ollie Woodworking 12 March 3rd 05 01:39 PM