Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Data for PVRs (again) ...

Following my post from a few days ago

Does no one on here know ? Really ? I thought a few of the regular American
posters were well into U.S. transmission standards and composition, or is
that analogue only ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Arfa Daily wrote:
Following my post from a few days ago

Does no one on here know ? Really ? I thought a few of the regular American
posters were well into U.S. transmission standards and composition, or is
that analogue only ?

Arfa

I don't know the answer to your question because I don't know what CRID is.

Is that supposed to be some standard, who is using it? Except for a mention
as a draft in RFC 4078, my google finger is failing me.

As far as I know, most people dvr's here in the states use the guide and
rely on the data provided to it. So if Fox says American Idol is going to
run from 8pm to 9:04pm, if the guide is programmed to show that, the dvr
will record it. If it's an accidental overrun, no, the end of the program
will get cut off.

I noticed some dvr's like from Comcast seem to keep track of shows that
usually overrun, when you try to record it, a new screen pops up saying it
may do so and gives you an option to record past the shown end time in
minutes.

Except for some low powered stations, there are no analog broadcasts here
anymore. I know they used to bury some neat **** hidden in the signal back
then, but these days, no clue.

-bruce

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Bruce Esquibel" wrote in message
Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

I believe it stands for C-ontent R-eference I-ndicator D-ata and is
inserted by the broadcaster to tell devices such as PVRs what exactly is
showing at the moment. As far as I know, it, or some variation of it, is in
pretty widespread use at least across Europe, and possibly in other parts of
the world. Australia comes to mind. Maybe one of our Aussie chums might know
that ? The fact that you do not appear to use it your side of the pond,
helps answer the question that I was ultimately looking to resolve.

A few months back, I changed my pay TV service from the major European
satellite provider - whom I had been with from the very early days - to my
cable broadband supplier, in order to take advantage of a three-way package
to include my landline phone service as well, and save a cartload of money
over what it was costing me for three providers.

The set top box / recorder that was supplied by the cable company, is a
digital TiVo box, which of course has its origins in the U.S. Over the few
months that I have had the box, I have grown to hate its shortcomings and
little foibles, and long to have my satellite box back. One of its biggest
problems is that if a programme such as a football match or the news
over-runs for any reason, and the box is set to record the programme that
followed the one that over-ran, it does, as you say, just go ahead and
record anyway, and miss the start - or possibly even the whole - of the
wanted programme. You have to have 'padding' minutes set either side of a
programme to accommodate slight late or early starts, which often leads to
stuff that's already recording getting truncated.

The satellite box never recorded at the wrong time, because it can read and
action the CRID. My cheap supermarket Freeview ( UK terrestrial digital TV
service) box can also read this data, and likewise records the programmes
correctly. Now I know that this data is not common in the U.S. , I guess
that explains why the TiVo box doesn't action the data. I don't suppose it
knows how ... :-(

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

OK. This seems to cover it

http://www.interactivetvweb.org/tuto...ntro/dtv_intro

The section on "Service Information" contains info on the various 'helper'
data that are broadcast within the transport stream for any particular
programme

Arfa

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

snip
In North America your CRID night correlate to PSIP. Is this what you're after?

http://www.dtvinnovations.com/pdf/PSIP%20ATSC.pdf