Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Neither tape decks work on Aiwa ZL500

Cassette decks do not work, just makes clicking noises, will not FF or RW
either. not in pause mode either, and have cleaned tape transport mechanisms
and heads.
Have come to the conclusion that drive belts may have come off pulley or need
replacing perhaps? Seems a bit strange that both decks are inoperative?

Can anyone either confirm or make any suggestions/thoughts please before I
start taking it apart?!!!

If new belts are required, any suggestions where I may purchase them please as
this is the first time I have had this problem other than with a very old Sony
TC377 Reel to Reel that I repaired myself!

| Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to |
| sci.electronics.repair and other groups |

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Talesin wrote in message
oups.com...
Cassette decks do not work, just makes clicking noises, will not FF or RW
either. not in pause mode either, and have cleaned tape transport

mechanisms
and heads.
Have come to the conclusion that drive belts may have come off pulley or

need
replacing perhaps? Seems a bit strange that both decks are inoperative?

Can anyone either confirm or make any suggestions/thoughts please before I
start taking it apart?!!!

If new belts are required, any suggestions where I may purchase them

please as
this is the first time I have had this problem other than with a very old

Sony
TC377 Reel to Reel that I repaired myself!

| Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to |
| sci.electronics.repair and other groups |

1 motor driving 2 decks is quite common, "infection" perishing many rubber
bands etc enclosed in the same enclosed space is also quite common.
I've cut my own bands for the last few years

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Talesin" wrote in message
oups.com...
Cassette decks do not work, just makes clicking noises, will not FF or RW
either. not in pause mode either, and have cleaned tape transport
mechanisms
and heads.
Have come to the conclusion that drive belts may have come off pulley or
need
replacing perhaps? Seems a bit strange that both decks are inoperative?

Can anyone either confirm or make any suggestions/thoughts please before I
start taking it apart?!!!

If new belts are required, any suggestions where I may purchase them
please as
this is the first time I have had this problem other than with a very old
Sony
TC377 Reel to Reel that I repaired myself!

It's always the belts on Aiwas. There are a number of different deck schemes
used by them, but irrespective of which you have in that particular model,
the clicking symptom is exactly what you get, and it will be belts. I have
replaced literally hundreds over the years. The sizes are not super-critical
on them like on some manufacturer's decks, but they need to be close,
otherwise they will slip when they come under load, as they are currently
doing. Those decks have a cam driven head plate, and the cam gear is driven
from the left hand capstan, as you look at the deck from the back. If the
belt slips on the capstan flywheel, the latch solenoid will keep firing
making the click. Also, if it is one of the decks that uses a central motor
with one main drive belt out to the left deck, and another out to the right,
on most of the versions, the left and right belts are different sizes. It is
*very* important when sourcing replacements, that the two sizes that you
get, are of the same cross sectional size i.e. both 1 mm or both 1.2mm,
otherwise the decks will play at different speeds, and you will never be
able to do anything about this, as the motor is common to both decks, and
there is only one speed set control. If the replacement belts are not the
same csa as the ones coming off, the decks will run at a slightly incorrect
speed, but this is correctable with the speed preset.

The secondary belts that drive the take up spools should also be replaced at
the same time.

I don't know how experienced you are, but they are not the easiest of decks
to get at for service. On most models of Aiwa of this general design, I find
that the easiest way to do it is to remove the whole front panel, but
obviously, a degree of skill and experience is required to do that
successfully without causing further problems in other areas ...

Arfa
| Web, RSS and Social Media Interface to |
| sci.electronics.repair and other groups |

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 04/30/2013 03:18 PM, Talesin wrote:
Cassette decks do not work, just makes clicking noises, will not FF or RW
either. not in pause mode either, and have cleaned tape transport
mechanisms
and heads.
Have come to the conclusion that drive belts may have come off pulley or
need
replacing perhaps? Seems a bit strange that both decks are inoperative?

Can anyone either confirm or make any suggestions/thoughts please before I
start taking it apart?!!!

If new belts are required, any suggestions where I may purchase them
please as
this is the first time I have had this problem other than with a very
old Sony
TC377 Reel to Reel that I repaired myself!

Put it up on Ebay for lots of money like this idjit:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Soundesign-M...em23 2a1f6f99