Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default yamaha RX-V365 Receiver

Pressed power button, unit powers off after 3 seconds.

Bypassed protection mode by holding "Effect" & "Night" buttons while
pressing power button.
Unit displayed the code "PRD PRT 210"

Manual states as follows....

When there is a history of protection function due to abnormal DC
output

PRD PRT:xxx (xxx AD value when the protection function is working)

Cause: DC output of the power amplifier is abnormal.

Supplementary information:
The protection function worked due to a DC voltage appearing at the
speaker terminal.
A cause could be a defect in the amplifier.
If the power is turned on with the abnormality unsolved, the
protection function works in about 3 seconds to turn
off the power.

Ideas where to start? LOL.... DC voltage appearing at the speaker
terminal? None showed
up with a DVM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

WLD_Bill wrote:
[...]

Maybe something got lost in the translation. DC output of the power
amplifier will only show up at the speaker terminals if the speaker relay is
energized. It's not clear to me what protection functons are being bypassed
by pressing the "Effect" & "Night" buttons. In other words, check the DC at
the power amp output before it goes to the protection relay. Other than
that, perhaps our resident Yamaha expert, Mark Z. will chime in with some
advice. (-:

--
David Farber
Los Osos, CA

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"David Farber" wrote in message
WLD_Bill wrote:
[...]

The translation is a bit off. It's trying to say that there WAS a DC offset
at one or more speaker terminals, therefore the protect was activated.
The DC is actually detected BEFORE the speaker relays via sensing resistors
going over to the appropriate DC PRT input on the microprocessor.
The value 210 translates as follows:

divide 3.3 by 255. This equals 0.01294117

Multiply this value times the error code 210. The result (2.717647) is the
voltage seen at that input on the microprocessor. Actually it's quite
accurate - no need for a multimeter here.

The acceptable range (maybe 70 to 125 etc) multiplied the same constant
would give the "normal" DC range that should be seen by the microprocessor.

Bottom line - probably one channel has a DC offset caused by a bad output
IC.

That DC voltage can be measured at any of the white emitter resistors
sitting in front of the output IC's. One white dual resistor for each
channel.

In this case, since it is not an over-current shutdown, the protection
cancel method shown in the manual can force the receiver to stay ON so that
voltage readings can be made.

Enough?

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, March 23, 2013 11:28:59 PM UTC-5, WLD_Bill wrote:
[...]

Thank you so much guys. Will post my findings soon.
PS: I've been toggling the power on and off to get readings. Protection bypass
didn't seem to matter, although unit will stay running in firmware update mode.

Regards:
Bill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Measured the center post on ceramic resistors in front of amp i.c.'s
(4) measured .8vdc
(1) measured 52.6 vdc. (front-left speaker output) of STK433-330-E
Replace the I.C. ? Any other offending parts I should look at?

I heard a high pitch sound the other day and thought it was around the voltage regulators on operation board 2. LOL (not even close) It was the STK433-330 I.C. . Oh well, the regulators got a new grease job and the 6.3v 1uf caps checked out good with ESR and LC meters.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Checked Q119 (2n5551c) with dvm. I checked ok.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

responding to
http://www.electrondepot.com/repair/...er-145554-.htm , Naor
wrote:
billdegener wrote:

[...]

Hi I have the same problem with my receiver, did you managed to fix it?

Thanks

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I just ordered a (4) piece lot of the STK433-330. I'm quite sure it will be fine. I will have 3 extras if you want to purchase 1 from me. I'm not sure when they will arrive.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

billdegener wrote:

[...]

Did you check the voltage outputs of the amp of the (7) protection circuit resistors? They are the white large cement (ceramic) type.

Download the datasheet and it will demystify the the circuit and how it works.
I found it quite interesting, especially the 8 bit code to the MCU stuff that Mark Z explained. I haven't delved much into that yet (just curious) The overvoltage protection circuit is neat how it puts the amps into standby mode, etc..
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

[...]

Update: Amp IC on back order. looking at other sources.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi did you have any joy with the IC's you ordered?
Have you for any for sale?