Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

jim beam wrote:

that's bogus. unless there's been a MAJOR screw-up, potting compounds
are carefully matched to the thermal and chemical application - they
serve to increase reliability, not degrade it.

How many deigns have you selected the proper potting compounds for?
What types of filler materials? How did you verify that no moisture
would be trapped inside the potting? Did you verify the temperature
coefficient of very component, the PC board material and the housing?
Test it for extended periods over the entire temperature, humidity and
barometric conditions that it can encounter in service. how about
vibration & impact testing? Or are you just blowing more smoke out your
ass.

enough left over to pay them.

Sometimes Friday is just the fifth Monday of the week.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

Bimmer Owner wrote:

On Wed, 27 Mar 2013 08:35:09 -0700, jim beam wrote:

Bomarc has reverse engineered a lot of automotive modules:
http://www.bomarc.org/basement/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6&sid=8ee707756ef37b24ff5aa633 f1b4548a

that at least is vaguely useful

I wasn't sure how to cross reference using that list.
For example, it had only one BMW entry (camera module); and it did not have
GKR or Sitronic or Valeo brands; nor the keywords FSU, nor FSR; but it did
have things titled "blower motor controller), e.g.,

FORD F50F-19E624 heater blower motor controller ('97 L. CONNIE) 1

The lists are a partial offering of what they have done. I would ask
if they have done the specific board in the controller, or the estimated
costs to reverse engineer it. The website states a $20 per hour charge.

enough left over to pay them.

Sometimes Friday is just the fifth Monday of the week.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

Cydrome Leader wrote:

In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey wrote:

In article , jim beam wrote:

On 03/21/2013 07:23 PM, Nate Nagel wrote:

*why* is it overheating?

because it's linear, retard. if you don't know what they means, ****
off until you find out.

Nothing wrong with linear motor control, it's just inefficient and
produces a lot of heat. I used to work in a place with a 1.2 MW DC
motor whose field coil voltage was controlled by a couple rooms full
of cast-iron resistors. The resistance array lasted nearly 80 years
before the whole facility was taken down.

I've got ask- what was this motor used for?

pumping station? mining equipment steel mill?

Just to blow a lot of HOT AIR around, and it seems to work!

Jamie

Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

jim beam wrote:

On 03/28/2013 05:20 AM, Scott Dorsey wrote:
Leif Neland wrote:
F�lgende er skrevet af Nate Nagel:
On 03/25/2013 01:58 PM, Bimmer Owner wrote:
On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 07:55:03 -0700, jim beam wrote:

that reduces the probability of it being rohs

What does ROHS mean?

Restriction of Hazardous Substances; that is, no lead (among other things.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Restric...nces_Directive

This does not count the hazardous issue of the soldering failing,
causing hazards to the users of the equipment :-(

That's why there are exemptions for the military and telecom industry,
where it's actually important that stuff work properly.

What I find ironic is that the shorter lifespan of consumer gear caused by
the RoHS manufacturing has actually increased the amount of electronics
going into landfills, making worse the problem that it was intended to reduce.
--scott

and yet, some say that there can be increased reliability.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROHS#Reliability_concerns_unfounded

btw, if you want /real/ reliability, you wire wrap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_wrap

Sure you do. That's why it's mostly been abandoned. It was bulky,
and had horrible crosstalk unless you resorted to twisted pair
signaling. It is crap at higher frequencies. If you want to go back to
5 MHz hardware, it's perfect.

stop being so bent out of shape that you can't think straight old man -
i didn't say it was better at any of those things. i said it was more
reliable than solder. and it is.

--
fact check required
Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

jim beam wrote:

jim beam wrote:

i don't know who you think you're talking to, but i have consistently
advocated /not/ deconstructing this unit.

Apparently I'm talking to a blowhard troll.

it's not worth it when cost
of replacement isn't that high or you can build an alternate controller
that will be more reliable.

Ass. The first step in designing a replacement is to understand what
it is supposed to do, and how the original performed that function.

no???? really? are you /sure/ about that??? or doesn't sarcasm work
for you???

and credentials don't work on usenet - they're completely uncheckable
and many are bogus. what matters is whether you can walk the talk.

You can't even crawl.

at least i can follow a thread without being a crotchety old fart.

Show us.

no, you're doing that.

as for having stuff in orbit, i don't have anything, but two of my best
friends do. the difference between them and you is that they're not
jaded and they're actually helpful.

Then tell them to reverse engineer it for you. Or can't they 'walk
the talk', either?

i don't /want/ to reverse engineer it any more than i want to repair
broken light bulbs. you were the one bragging about how easy it was. i
said it wasn't. and when it comes down to walking the talk, you won't.

Send me some defective modules, or quit trolling.

they're not my modules [again, you're not following the thread] and i
wouldn't replace them - i'd pwm the motor instead.

Without knowing how to interface it to the vehicle.

??? if it were my vehicle, i'd be able to find it out now, wouldn't i!!!

What a lame ass
lying idiot.

whatever you say dude, but the fact is, i've done it before and i'd do
it again.

You demanded that I do the reverse engineering

i didn't demand any such thing, i pointed out that if you did, since you
were bragging about having done so much of it, you wouldn't be making
everyone have to listen to you **** and moan. but here you still are,
****ing and moaning since i guess it's so much easier, even for an
expert like yourself.

of said
modules, but you run in circles like chained animal. Hopefully you
don't change directions, before you choke yourself.

fact check required

You wouldn't know a fact, even if it walked up and puked on your
shoes.

--
fact check required

Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

jim beam wrote:

that's bogus. unless there's been a MAJOR screw-up, potting compounds
are carefully matched to the thermal and chemical application - they
serve to increase reliability, not degrade it.

How many deigns have you selected the proper potting compounds for?
What types of filler materials? How did you verify that no moisture
would be trapped inside the potting? Did you verify the temperature
coefficient of very component, the PC board material and the housing?
Test it for extended periods over the entire temperature, humidity and
barometric conditions that it can encounter in service. how about
vibration & impact testing? Or are you just blowing more smoke out your
ass.

wtf is eating your ass tonight? you're right that all those factors are
relevant. that's why i said potting compounds are "carefully matched".

as to moisture, you're attacking a straw man. i specifically didn't
list every possible application detail because it's common knowledge to
anyone doing that work. nobody specifies that any more than mechanical
drawings specify conventional right-hand threading on fasteners. /all/
fasteners are right hand threaded UNLESS left hand is specifically detailed.

--
fact check required
Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

jim beam wrote:

stop being so bent out of shape that you can't think straight old man -
i didn't say it was better at any of those things. i said it was more
reliable than solder. and it is.

Yawn.............................................. ................

enough left over to pay them.

Sometimes Friday is just the fifth Monday of the week.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

Cydrome Leader wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey wrote:
Nothing wrong with linear motor control, it's just inefficient and
produces a lot of heat. I used to work in a place with a 1.2 MW DC
motor whose field coil voltage was controlled by a couple rooms full
of cast-iron resistors. The resistance array lasted nearly 80 years
before the whole facility was taken down.

I've got ask- what was this motor used for?

pumping station? mining equipment steel mill?

You could call it a sort of wind tunnel. Now obsolete, in great part due
to computer modelling making analysis tools like that less important, and
in great part due to computer modelling of the tools making it possible to
make less turbulent tunnels.
--scott

so there was an 80 year old giant windtunnel somewhere?

Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

Cydrome Leader wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey wrote:
Nothing wrong with linear motor control, it's just inefficient and
produces a lot of heat. I used to work in a place with a 1.2 MW DC
motor whose field coil voltage was controlled by a couple rooms full
of cast-iron resistors. The resistance array lasted nearly 80 years
before the whole facility was taken down.

I've got ask- what was this motor used for?

pumping station? mining equipment steel mill?

You could call it a sort of wind tunnel. Now obsolete, in great part due
to computer modelling making analysis tools like that less important, and
in great part due to computer modelling of the tools making it possible to
make less turbulent tunnels.
--scott

so there was an 80 year old giant windtunnel somewhere?

You're joking, right?

1901:
http://airandspace.si.edu/wrightbrot.../1901/wind.cfm

very modern 1935:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqAyEwCmcA

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

Cydrome Leader wrote:
In sci.electronics.repair Scott Dorsey wrote:
Nothing wrong with linear motor control, it's just inefficient and
produces a lot of heat. I used to work in a place with a 1.2 MW DC
motor whose field coil voltage was controlled by a couple rooms full
of cast-iron resistors. The resistance array lasted nearly 80 years
before the whole facility was taken down.

I've got ask- what was this motor used for?

pumping station? mining equipment steel mill?

You could call it a sort of wind tunnel. Now obsolete, in great part due
to computer modelling making analysis tools like that less important, and
in great part due to computer modelling of the tools making it possible to
make less turbulent tunnels.
--scott

so there was an 80 year old giant windtunnel somewhere?

well, 80 years ago would be 1933; definitely into the era of commercial
flight, so it's entirely possible. Hell, the Germans might have been
working on jet engines by that point, or at least thinking about them.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

jim beam wrote:

jim beam wrote:

[...]

Let me offer you some good advice, put him on your black list so it
won't eat you up. I only see him in replies now, like yours here because
I have block him out of my reader.

He's nothing but an old bickering dried up prone. In his younger
years he most likely good off on little kids learning the field and made
him
feel like he was something else when he offered any knowledge that he
thought was useful to them. These days, the little kids have grown
up and most likely found out that half the information he fed them was
bogus!

Don't worry about what he has to say, he's one of those that wants
every one like you, to kiss is feet and say how much of a god he is.

It should be obviously that will never happen from this end

Jamie

Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

Jamie wrote:

jim beam wrote:

jim beam wrote:

[...]

Keep up the slander Maynard. I taught first year high school
electronics while I was still a Junior in that school. After that, I
trained new techs to use what they learned in school on the repair
benchg so they could earn a living. I was still doing this at
Microdyne, till the closed the local telemetry 'engineer to order'
facility.

The rest of my work history is online, along with my military service
with AFRTSwhich is availible to anyone with the DOD records database.
Maynard refuses to tell anyone where he works. He just damns everyone
else.

Don't worry about what he has to say, he's one of those that wants
every one like you, to kiss is feet and say how much of a god he is.

It should be obviously that will never happen from this end

The irony! I was 'black list' by an illiterate troll. All I can do
is laugh at the nonsense writing 'style' of someone who consistently
makes a fool of himself on news:sci.electronics.design He thinks an
'Electret' microphone is a 'crystal' microphone. His real name is
Maynard Philbrick. A typical appliance operator 'ham' with the call of
KA1LPA. look at his website to see what a sick individual he is.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5/ if you have the stomach for
childish dirvel.

enough left over to pay them.

Sometimes Friday is just the fifth Monday of the week.
Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

Jamie wrote:

jim beam wrote:

jim beam wrote:

[...]

it's drivel, not "dirvel".

as to your apparent feud, i don't know either you or jamie - i only read
r.a.t and neither of you are regular contributors. i will say though
that given my interactions so far, he's fine. you're not. and fyi,
publishing someone else's personal details on usenet is seriously huge
asshole behavior. you can be a retard and publish your own personals
all you want, but someone else's is /WAY/ out of line.

--
fact check required

Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

Cydrome Leader wrote:
[...]

even elevators lasting 80 years is pushing it for keeping old stuff
around.

Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw

jim beam wrote:

Jamie wrote:

jim beam wrote:

jim beam wrote:

[...]

You know it's very funny, what he does. He thinks it bothers me by him
publishing my details in the manner in which he does. What he seems to
be very ignorant about is his willingness to incriminate himself.

Have fun and enjoy his ranting, he's a real party popper.

Adios amigo...

Jamie

Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair

"Bimmer Owner" wrote in message ...

On Tue, 26 Mar 2013 09:43:58 -0700, wrote:

They do have that 16 pin chip there, doing something.
It might receive the command and then output the appropriate PWM for
rest of the circuit.

Someone had scoped the whole board, and it was DC voltage everywhere
(according to that reference). It's pretty clear there is no PWM.

The 16-pin surface mount chip seems to be a automotive temperature
compensated voltage regulator with a huge voltage range, according
to a lookup of the part number on it.

Here is the Elmos 10901D chip of my FSU as I cut it open today.

I wish there was a way to get rid of that heavy fibrous plastic goop!
(What is that black fibrous tough stuff anyway?)

I have had good luck removing the stuff used on motorcycle voltage
regulators that were potted soaking in MEK Methyl ethyl ketone
(spelling?). Potent stuff. Use outdoors and keep your hands out of it. WW

Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair

"WW" wrote in message
. ..

I have had good luck removing the stuff used on motorcycle voltage
regulators that were potted soaking in MEK Methyl ethyl ketone
(spelling?). Potent stuff. Use outdoors and keep your hands out of it.
WW

I don't know what it actually is but at work we desolved a potted firing
system for a boat motor with something called OCP. Really stinks. Don't
think I would want it in a car after it was used.

---

Posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair

On 2/4/2014 8:09 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
wrote in message
. ..

I have had good luck removing the stuff used on motorcycle voltage
regulators that were potted soaking in MEK Methyl ethyl ketone
(spelling?). Potent stuff. Use outdoors and keep your hands out of it.
WW

I don't know what it actually is but at work we desolved a potted firing
system for a boat motor with something called OCP. Really stinks. Don't
think I would want it in a car after it was used.

---

My electronic assembly company built the electronic control unit for BMC
Chopper of Bend, Oregon. Now defunked. We used two-part black epoxy that
took 24 hours to completely cure. When applied it was water thin. Had to
prep the box with RTV to keep the potting from running out around the
connectors.

Paul