Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default What's a good way to get rid of rain surface rust on tools leftoutside

On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:02:05 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

UPDATE:
I'm finding more and more uses for the phosphoric acid you guys suggested!

After ten minutes, I see that buttery white stuff again.

The unknown white lard 'seems' to be where the rust was heaviest.

Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

In sci.electronics.repair Danny D. wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:02:05 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

UPDATE:
I'm finding more and more uses for the phosphoric acid you guys suggested!

After ten minutes, I see that buttery white stuff again.

The unknown white lard 'seems' to be where the rust was heaviest.

the white crud is from letting the pink slime dry. you have to really
scrub it off, then it's gone for good.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Danny D." wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:02:05 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

UPDATE:
I'm finding more and more uses for the phosphoric acid you guys suggested!

After ten minutes, I see that buttery white stuff again.

The unknown white lard 'seems' to be where the rust was heaviest.

When I used to do my aluminum wheels, the navel jelly would dry to a
whitish finish. I then hosed it off.

Greg
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 00:38:34 +0000, gregz wrote:

the navel jelly would dry to a whitish finish

Thanks for explaining what it is.
I wasn't sure - but it kept showing up.
It looked and felt like lard.

Now I know ... it's naval jelly dried up.

Thanks!
Danny in the Santa Cruz Mountains

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

gregz wrote:
"Danny D." wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:02:05 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

UPDATE:
I'm finding more and more uses for the phosphoric acid you guys suggested!

After ten minutes, I see that buttery white stuff again.

The unknown white lard 'seems' to be where the rust was heaviest.

When I used to do my aluminum wheels, the navel jelly would dry to a
whitish finish. I then hosed it off.

from a bottle of the loctite naval jelly:

"do not use on aluminum."

"If left on too long (hardens), apply more Naval jelly rust dissolver to
remove"

I'm still not sure what the white crud itself is- maybe the goo that keeps
the stuff slimy?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
Cydrome Leader wrote:

I'm still not sure what the white crud itself is- maybe the goo that keeps
the stuff slimy?

Naval Jelly and similar are about 1/3 phosphoric acid, dissolved in
water, with a percent or so of thickener (the N.J. MSDS says
"polysaccharide, proprietary" - might be something like a xanthan
gum?).

Phosphoric acid itself is a white / crystalline solid at room
temperature, melting to a viscous liquid at roughly body temperature.

Considering the concentrations involved, I'd guess that the "white
crud" or "lard" is mostly phosphoric acid, left behind when the water
evaporated. You could be seeing the polysaccharide gelling agent as
well but there isn't all that much of it by volume.

Try warming the crudded object gently to somewhat above body
temperature... if the crud turns to a clear liquid, this would suggest
that it's the phosphoric acid.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Cydrome Leader wrote:
gregz wrote:
"Danny D." wrote:
On Fri, 22 Feb 2013 17:02:05 +0000, Danny D. wrote:

UPDATE:
I'm finding more and more uses for the phosphoric acid you guys suggested!

After ten minutes, I see that buttery white stuff again.

The unknown white lard 'seems' to be where the rust was heaviest.

When I used to do my aluminum wheels, the navel jelly would dry to a
whitish finish. I then hosed it off.

from a bottle of the loctite naval jelly:

"do not use on aluminum."

"If left on too long (hardens), apply more Naval jelly rust dissolver to
remove"

I'm still not sure what the white crud itself is- maybe the goo that keeps
the stuff slimy?

The naval aluminum jelly, is the same product, with reduced concentration.
I like speed of regular.

Greg