Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Disk format

(was Panasonic SA-HT1500, but nobody responded)

9 times out of 10 when switched on from standby, my Panasonic SA-HT1500
Home Cinema system immediately goes into HDD format mode and won't leave
it until said format is performed.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? Could it be the HDD
itself? It was suffering a lot of dropouts a while ago, so I stopped
recording on it pending investigation.
--
Peter
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ramsman wrote in :

(was Panasonic SA-HT1500, but nobody responded)

9 times out of 10 when switched on from standby, my Panasonic SA-HT1500
Home Cinema system immediately goes into HDD format mode and won't

leave
it until said format is performed.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? Could it be the

HDD
itself? It was suffering a lot of dropouts a while ago, so I stopped
recording on it pending investigation.

A lousy harddisk, with some un-recoverable error on the first(few)
tracks?
That might tell the system that it is new, and has to initialyze.
Of course it wants to finish that then.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 10:58:58 +0000, Ramsman put
finger to keyboard and composed:

(was Panasonic SA-HT1500, but nobody responded)

9 times out of 10 when switched on from standby, my Panasonic SA-HT1500
Home Cinema system immediately goes into HDD format mode and won't leave
it until said format is performed.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? Could it be the HDD
itself? It was suffering a lot of dropouts a while ago, so I stopped
recording on it pending investigation.

I would remove the HDD and connect it to your computer. Then run the
manufacturer's diagnostics against it, eg SeaTools, Data LifeGuard.
Use the DOS version of the diagnostic to ensure that Windows doesn't
try to write a disk signature on the drive.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 18/02/2013 10:58, Ramsman wrote:
(was Panasonic SA-HT1500, but nobody responded)

9 times out of 10 when switched on from standby, my Panasonic SA-HT1500
Home Cinema system immediately goes into HDD format mode and won't leave
it until said format is performed.

Does anyone have an idea what might be causing this? Could it be the HDD
itself? It was suffering a lot of dropouts a while ago, so I stopped
recording on it pending investigation.

Thank you, Sjouke and Frank, for confirming my suspicions. It will be a
couple of weeks before I have time to work on the disk.

--
Peter