Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Panasonic phone tear down?

I've have had cordless Panasonic KX-TGA600M phone for years. It's a trooper.. and has served me well...but! In the last few years the LCD/info/caller ID display has started going in and out, and now it's mostly out.I wouldn't mind chucking it, but I love the damn thing. I'm getting into tearing stuff down now, but sill haven't got a multimeter. I'm guessing it's just a bad lcd and to crack open the handset, get the part info and replace/solder in the new one? ANY advice on where to proceed as a newbie, diagnosing, finding parts would be appreciated. -John T.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Electronodude wrote in message
I've have had cordless Panasonic KX-TGA600M phone for years. It's a trooper.
and has served me well...but! In the last few years the LCD/info/caller ID
display has started going in and out, and now it's mostly out.I wouldn't
mind chucking it, but I love the damn thing. I'm getting into tearing stuff
down now, but sill haven't got a multimeter. I'm guessing it's just a bad
lcd and to crack open the handset, get the part info and replace/solder in
the new one? ANY advice on where to proceed as a newbie, diagnosing, finding
parts would be appreciated. -John T.

+++++++++++

If it is just problems with the dispay research "zebra strip" repair

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 2/9/2013 10:08 PM, Electronodude wrote:
I've have had cordless Panasonic KX-TGA600M phone for years. It's a trooper. and has served me well...but! In the last few years the LCD/info/caller ID display has started going in and out, and now it's mostly out.I wouldn't mind chucking it, but I love the damn thing. I'm getting into tearing stuff down now, but sill haven't got a multimeter. I'm guessing it's just a bad lcd and to crack open the handset, get the part info and replace/solder in the new one? ANY advice on where to proceed as a newbie, diagnosing, finding parts would be appreciated. -John T.

Good morning,

While it is the easy way out, there are several of these for sale on
e-bay for around $30.00 Of course, there could be a problem with those
too, so read the descriptions carefully.

Regards,
Tim

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 9 Feb 2013 19:08:44 -0800 (PST), Electronodude
wrote:

I've have had cordless Panasonic KX-TGA600M phone for years. It's a trooper. and has served me well...but! In the last few years the LCD/info/caller ID display has started going in and out, and now it's mostly out.I wouldn't mind chucking it, but I love the damn thing. I'm getting into tearing stuff down now, but sill haven't got a multimeter. I'm guessing it's just a bad lcd and to crack open the handset, get the part info and replace/solder in the new one? ANY advice on where to proceed as a newbie, diagnosing, finding parts would be appreciated. -John T.

Getting the Panasonic handset open is a bit of a PITA.
This is for a similar TG2356 handset.
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/crud/Panasonic%20TG2356.jpg
1. Remove battery cover and battery.
2. Remove 2 screws near the bottom of handset.
3. With a plastic spudger (not a screwdriver), pry in the location
shown until the case locking mechanism cracks open. Pry the back
cover away from the front cover to release the lock.

From there, you should be able to remove the PCB and expose the LCD
connectors. Do not rotate the Zebra strip connectors. Just clean
them, the PCB, and the LCD contacts. Put the Zebra strips back in the
way the came out.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D