DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Wireless router as repeater (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/352845-wireless-router-repeater.html)

Uncle Albert February 8th 13 04:25 PM

Wireless router as repeater

Setting up a wireless router to work as a repeater hasn't
worked out the way I hoped it would.

I got another Netgear router, different model, hoping it
would be easy to set it up where I could go around to anywhere
in the house and get great reception. The directions were
vague. After searching the Internet I tried setting up both
server and client to use WEP, but, that didn't work. The
client showed the server connection, SSID, strength, but,
couldn't provide service. I tried using WPA on the server
and WEP on the client, and again the client showed the
server connection, SSID and strength, but, no service to
computers. Station list is always blank for computers
wanting Internet access.

Can someone give me some pointers on how to get this working?

My only other option, I can see, is to hire someone to run
network cable through the attic and walls, which I was hoping
to avoid.

Dave Platt February 8th 13 07:08 PM

Wireless router as repeater

In article ,
Uncle Albert wrote:

Setting up a wireless router to work as a repeater hasn't
worked out the way I hoped it would.

I got another Netgear router, different model, hoping it
would be easy to set it up where I could go around to anywhere
in the house and get great reception. The directions were
vague. After searching the Internet I tried setting up both
server and client to use WEP, but, that didn't work. The
client showed the server connection, SSID, strength, but,
couldn't provide service. I tried using WPA on the server
and WEP on the client, and again the client showed the
server connection, SSID and strength, but, no service to
computers. Station list is always blank for computers
wanting Internet access.

Can someone give me some pointers on how to get this working?

You will need routers / access points which support WDS - the Wireless
Distribution System.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireles...ibution_system

From what I've heard, it's tricky to get it working correctly. Many
vendors only support WDS between their own devices (inter-vendor
interoperability is somewhat poor), many only support "static" keys
(WEP and static-key WPA), and in general it tends to cause headaches.

You'll probably have to specifically enable WDS in your router
configurations (in "wireless repeating" mode rather than bridging
mode), set up static keying, and make sure they're both on the same
SSID and channel.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO

Michael A. Terrell February 8th 13 07:25 PM

Uncle Albert wrote:

[...]

You either set them up in bridge mode, or buy a range extender.
Bridge mode only allows the two routers to talk to each other.

[email protected] February 8th 13 07:43 PM

Wireless router as repeater

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:25:58 -0600, Uncle Albert
wrote:

[...]

The short answer is you can't use a wireless router as a repeater. A
fuller explanation of what you have ('I got another Netgear router'
implies you already had one router), and what you are trying to
accomplish ('where I could go around to anywhere in the house and get
great reception') suggests you are trying to set up a wireless
network.

On the off chance my (frustrating) experiences with multiple routers
will help you, here's a brief narrative. The phone company supplied
an Actiontec DSL modem / router with 4 ethernet jacks. This was
connected to several computers and eventually a ethernet switch as the
number of computers grew. With the idea of adding wireless
connectivity I connected a Netgear wireless router to the network,
which immeadiatly crashed the network because the routers were
conflicting with one another. By disabling the router portion on the
Netgear I was able to get this sometimes working, but it was prone to
crashing, requiring reseting to factory defaults, and once again
bringing down the network until I could disable the router.

The more effective solution was to use a wireless access point to
provide the wireless connectivity. This was obtained through
Craigslist for about $15 if I recall correctly. An alternative
solution was an Actiontec DSL modem /router with usb, ethernet and
wireless connectivity.

A second issue is configuring the wireless connection. You must set
up security or you will allow everyone in the neighborhood access to
your internet connection and to your computer. Do not use WEP - it
can be cracked in minutes. Use WPA, and use a randomly generated key
- ideally a full 71 characters. (A thumb drive saves a LOT of
retyping).

PlainBill

Roger Blake[_2_] February 9th 13 04:37 AM

On 2013-02-08, Uncle Albert wrote:
My only other option, I can see, is to hire someone to run
network cable through the attic and walls, which I was hoping
to avoid.

What about "Homeplug" powerline ethernet as an alternative?

"Climate policy has almost nothing to do anymore with environmental
protection... the next world climate summit in Cancun is actually
an economy summit during which the distribution of the world's
resources will be negotiated." -- Ottmar Edenhofer, IPCC

Allodoxaphobia[_2_] February 9th 13 05:17 PM

Wireless router as repeater

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 10:25:58 -0600, Uncle Albert wrote:
Setting up a wireless router to work as a repeater hasn't
worked out the way I hoped it would.

-snip-

Can someone give me some pointers on how to get this working?

alt.internet.wireless

Why you would ask in "repair' is a puzzle...

Uncle Albert February 9th 13 07:27 PM

On 2013-02-08, Uncle Albert wrote:
My only other option, I can see, is to hire someone to run
network cable through the attic and walls, which I was hoping
to avoid.

What about "Homeplug" powerline ethernet as an alternative?

I bought the homeplug today. The reviews were good.
Now I'll have two different wireless networks to
cover the whole house.

Thanks to all who offered advice.