Junior Member

Default Sony Vrd Mc6 Dvdirect Dvd Burner Recorder

Hi all. It's the first time I go into the forum and I congratulate all of this information I see that you have.

A few days ago feed the recorder with reversed polarity (positive to negative and negative to positive), and has stopped working.

I searched unsuccessfully information about a similar case, I also sought information from the MC5, if I could be of some use, and that's when you get to this forum. I was reading this post: http://www.diybanter.com/electronics...-recorder.html

I could not find any electric scheme, nor any repair manual, or any clues to try to discover which was broken by reversing the polarity.

I have some pictures of the board:

http://www.juanvivo.com/images/placa1grande.jpg
http://www.juanvivo.com/images/placa2grande.jpg

some people have told me that the T3 component that appears next to the power connector ppuede been damaged. I do not know what has value ...

http://aeromodelismovirtual.com/atta...d= 1360141242

besides the pins B, C and D have continuity.

can you help me? know any repair manual? some scheme? images?

I thank you in advance for your time.

greetings
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

http://tinyurl.com/b97ds7x

I could not find any electric scheme, nor any repair manual, or any
clues to try to discover which was broken by reversing the polarity.

I have some pictures of the board:

http://www.juanvivo.com/images/placa1grande.jpg
http://www.juanvivo.com/images/placa2grande.jpg

some people have told me that the T3 component that appears next to the
power connector ppuede been damaged. I do not know what has value ...

[image:
http://aeromodelismovirtual.com/atta...= 1360141242]

besides the pins B, C and D have continuity.

can you help me? know any repair manual? some scheme? images?

I thank you in advance for your time.

greetings

To make a start, power it up and check for voltages around the
board.............. like around the input socket to see if anything is
coming through. Any decent board should have reverse pol protection.
Check for that.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 6 Feb 2013 19:26:20 +0000, juanvivo
put finger to keyboard and composed:

some people have told me that the T3 component that appears next to the
power connector ppuede been damaged. I do not know what has value ...

[image:
http://aeromodelismovirtual.com/atta...= 1360141242]

besides the pins B, C and D have continuity.

AFAICT, T3 is a dual inductor that filters each side of the DC supply.
As long as there is continuity between points A and B, and between C
and D, then the component will not need to be replaced.

I would test for a short circuit between B and D. If there is no
short, then check the voltage test points on "placa2grande",
specifically TP12V, TP5V, TP1V8, and TP3V3.

- Franc Zabkar
Junior Member

Hello Phoull Rheilly , thank you very much for your answer.

I have 12 volts only at the point that I've marked with A. Anywhere over the plate. I think this is not a decent plate, why not see protection.

Thanks for your help Franc Zabkar,

No continuity between A and B. Continuity between C and D. There is also continuity between B and C-D.

Currently if I connect power to the board, there is no voltage on any of the test points I've tried.

Thank you very much for your help.

Excuse my poor English ...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Hi juanvivo.. it was me that posted the problems with an MC5 model.

In your placa2 pic, there is a diode near the 12 volt power input connector,
marked D7. It may be worthwhile to test the diode for shorted condition..
diode test with a DMM, or ohms with an analog meter.

Since you mentioned that the T3 has no continuity from A to B, that
indicates that the transformer/inductor is (likely burned) open.
The inductor will need to be replaced, but could be jumpered from A to B for
testing purposes.
Placing a jumper across T3 terminals A to B will restore continuity for the
positive (+) side of the external power supply.

If you use a low amperage fuse in the external power supply lead, you should
be able to proceed with testing/checking for voltages on the circuit board.
I would expect that connection of all of the cables and the LCD display
would be required to proceed.

The Sony power supply for these models is a regulated 12V supply, so an
unregulated power supply (transformer/rectifiers) wouldn't be the best
choice for this unit.
A high capacity 12V battery or power supply may cause more damage if the
power leads don't include a low current fuse.

In the future, for trying equipment using external power supplies, it's a
good practice to always have a fuse in the power lead.
I was surprised that the MC5 model had no internal fuse devices, as Franc
made clear to me.

Also for future testing purposes, if you're not sure which connector contact
is for the negative (-) of the external power supply, many times it will be
the contact which shows direct connection to the unit's connectors such as
the shell/shield of RCA jacks (inputs or outputs) intended to be connected
to other equipment.

These circuit boards are fairly complex and without a service manual, all I
was able to do was hunt for defective (simple) components.

--
Cheers,
WB

"juanvivo" wrote in message

[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message
Hi juanvivo.. it was me that posted the problems with an MC5 model.

In your placa2 pic, there is a diode near the 12 volt power input
connector, marked D7. It may be worthwhile to test the diode for shorted
condition.. diode test with a DMM, or ohms with an analog meter.

Since you mentioned that the T3 has no continuity from A to B, that
indicates that the transformer/inductor is (likely burned) open.
The inductor will need to be replaced, but could be jumpered from A to B
for testing purposes.
Placing a jumper across T3 terminals A to B will restore continuity for
the positive (+) side of the external power supply.

--
Cheers,
WB

Don't forget that there is a short form B-C.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The author didn't specify a short between the 2 power input sides.. what he
stated was continuity (and his native language isn't english).. it's also
not exactly clear what type of equipment he's using for testing.

Diode D7 is physically close to the power connector, and its designation 7
suggests that it's electrically near the connector.
If the diode is shorted across the DC supply, one of the conductors in T3
would open if unable to handle the current.

D7 may not be across the DC supply, and not have anything to do with the T3
failure.. that's up to the person testing the unit to determine.

--
Cheers,
WB

"tm" wrote in message

Don't forget that there is a short form B-C.

Junior Member

Thank you so much for your help and for your time. I would be lost without your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill View Post
The author didn't specify a short between the 2 power input sides.. what he
stated was continuity (and his native language isn't english).. it's also
not exactly clear what type of equipment he's using for testing.
When I use my multimeter and put pointers in A and B, not continuous beep sounds. When I put them in C and D, if continuous beep. Between C and B are also continuous beep. If I measure ohms, I get no reading. points are shorted. Not if I explain well, again excuse my poor English, my language is Spanish.

I've checked the diode D7 with diode tester position and seems to be fine. NO appears damaged.

I think for a first test, should desolder T3 to see if the short is removed. no?

Once this is done, if the short is gone, then put jumpers between a and b, and between b and c and check readings. Is that correct?

I have to do the tests with the lcd and dvd connected or I can make them without them connected?

When I reverse polarity i use a car battery.

in the future I assure you I will use diodes. I assure you I have learned the lesson.

If I can not express myself well, or some of the things I say does not make sense, tell me. Consequence management is that little English.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

Well, he did say "No continuity between A and B. Continuity between C and D.
There is also
continuity between B and C-D.".

But you are correct. We do not know what "continuity" means. B to C could
just be the load.

Regards,
tm

"tm" wrote in message

Don't forget that there is a short form B-C.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

En el artículo , Rheilly Phoull
escribió:

Any decent board should have reverse pol protection.
Check for that.

I can't spot any on that board.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 14:28:54 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

D7 may not be across the DC supply, and not have anything to do with the T3
failure.. that's up to the person testing the unit to determine.

I'm guessing that D7 is a Schottky diode. I suspect that D7, L4
(6.8uH) and U16 form a buck regulator that generates the +5V supply. I
can't see any reverse polarity protection on the PCB, so I would think
that U16 would have been hit.

The L2 and L3 coils are probably associated with U17 and U14 to form
their own +1.8V and +3.3V buck regulators. I suspect that each of
these ICs would have been hit also.

If I were the OP, I would locate the datasheets for the three ICs and
examine their application circuits, if any.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 21:01:16 +0000, juanvivo
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I think for a first test, should desolder T3 to see if the short is
removed. no?

I doubt that the two windings would be shorted to each other, but yes
go ahead.

Once this is done, if the short is gone, then put jumpers between a and
b, and between b and c and check readings. Is that correct?

Jumper A & B, and C & D, not B & C.

I have to do the tests with the lcd and dvd connected or I can make them
without them connected?

Leave them disconnected.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 08 Feb 2013 16:15:03 +1100, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I have to do the tests with the lcd and dvd connected or I can make them
without them connected?

Leave them disconnected.

On second thoughts, if you are testing for shorts between B and C,
then you should connect the LCD and DVD one by one to confirm that
neither of them are shorted also.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It's likely that your guesses are correct Franc.. you're far more
knowledgeable about these circuits.

I suspect that there is likely to be widespread damage from connecting to a
car battery with the polarity reversed.. surprising to me that there aren't
any obvious burnt parts to see.

It seems that Sony hasn't provided any circuit protection at all in the
VRD-MCn models, and when not using the original Sony PSU the user risks
causing damage.

The MC6 version is the latest model and is typically priced at about $200,
so a mistake can be costly.
I didn't contact Sony to see if a service manual is available, but that
would probably be the only way I could effectively troubleshoot these units.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Thu, 7 Feb 2013 14:28:54 -0500, "Wild_Bill"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

D7 may not be across the DC supply, and not have anything to do with the
T3
failure.. that's up to the person testing the unit to determine.

I'm guessing that D7 is a Schottky diode. I suspect that D7, L4
(6.8uH) and U16 form a buck regulator that generates the +5V supply. I
can't see any reverse polarity protection on the PCB, so I would think
that U16 would have been hit.

The L2 and L3 coils are probably associated with U17 and U14 to form
their own +1.8V and +3.3V buck regulators. I suspect that each of
these ICs would have been hit also.

If I were the OP, I would locate the datasheets for the three ICs and
examine their application circuits, if any.

- Franc Zabkar

Junior Member

When I say continuity, I mean they are directly connected.

Are shorted.

B, C and D are in short. Or put another way, B, C and D are connected directly to ground.

What is the correct way to say it in English?

pd.- Sorry, I did not see a second page of answers. Now I have to go but I will read all the answers and I will answer.

Last edited by juanvivo : February 8th 13 at 12:16 PM
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 8/02/2013 3:46 PM, juanvivo wrote:
When I say continuity, I mean they are directly connected.

Are shorted.

B, C and D are in short. Or put another way, B, C and D are connected
directly to ground.

What is the correct way to say it in English?

Your meaning is clear, it would most likely be said as in line 3.

"are directly connected to ground".

I would think your English is better than many here can speak Spanish :-)
Junior Member

U17 : 4407 DA9S1E
http://pinout-circuits-images.dz863.com/120/AF4407.jpg

U16: 54331 97M AOXR
Converter (Integrated Switch) - Step-Down (Buck) Converter - TPS54331 - TI.com

U14: TPS or PS 53124 TI 96K DQ4C . I´m nor sure with the "T"
searching...
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013 12:29:43 +0000, juanvivo
put finger to keyboard and composed:

U16: 54331 97M AOXR
'Converter (Integrated Switch) - Step-Down (Buck) Converter - TPS54331 -
TI.com' (http://www.ti.com/product/tps54331)

U16 is a PWM controller with integrated MOSFET chopper:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps54331.pdf

The application circuit on page 11 of the datasheet shows an external
Schottky flywheel diode. The part number (B340A) matches the markings
on D7.

AFAICT, this would constitute the +5V buck converter.

U17 : 4407 DA9S1E
http://pinout-circuits-images.dz863.com/120/AF4407.jpg

It looks like U17 is a P-channel MOSFET. Normally in that position I
would expect it to be functioning as an external chopper for one of
the buck converters. However U16 has its own internal chopper. Is it
possible that U17 provides additional current for U16?

U14: TPS or PS 53124 TI 96K DQ4C . I´m nor sure with the "T"
searching...

It appears that U14 controls two buck coverters (+1.8V and +3.3V):
http://www.tij.co.jp/jp/lit/ds/symlink/tps53124.pdf

"The TPS53124 is a dual, Adaptive on-time DCAP mode synchronous
controller."

There is a typical application diagram on the first page of the
datasheet.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 09 Feb 2013 08:44:00 +1100, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

It looks like U17 is a P-channel MOSFET. Normally in that position I
would expect it to be functioning as an external chopper for one of
the buck converters. However U16 has its own internal chopper. Is it
possible that U17 provides additional current for U16?

AF4407P, Anachip, P-Channel 30-V (D-S) MOSFET:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/data...7/270247_1.pdf

"Typical applications are PWM DC-DC converters, power management in
portable and battery-powered products ..."

AO4407, Alpha & Omega Semiconductor, 30V 12A P-Channel MOSFET:
http://aosmd.com/pdfs/datasheet/AO4407.pdf

"This device is ideal for load switch and battery protection
applications."

I wonder if U17 is a high-side power switch ???

- Franc Zabkar