Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Black and Decker CTO6301 electronics problem.

I have a B&D branded toaster oven with a model number CTO6301. Recently, the oven just powered off during toasting bread at breakfast. The unit had been off all night and judging by how warm the toast was, it wasn't on long. After I opened the unit and started checking for voltage, I found the stepdown transformer putting out about 13vac and on the other side of the bridge rectifier about 12 vdc. I could see no obviously cold solder joints or any burned components or leaking caps. After attaching the board to a test transformer on the bench, I was only able to get the thing to act up one time.... The display went blank and no response from any buttons. I unplugged and replugged the test power supply and the display was still blank. Then after unplugging again, I shorted the two caps near the rectifier and the cap near the IC. These three are the only electrolytics on the entire board. I plugged back in and it remained working despite light flexing of the board and tapping on various components. Any ideas on solving this problem?

thanks,
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Given that you shorted the caps and it started working again, it might have
been that the ICs were locked up. (I've seen this in other products.)

You might try shotgunning the solder joints, resoldering every last one.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, December 6, 2012 10:01:21 AM UTC-5, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Given that you shorted the caps and it started working again, it might have

been that the ICs were locked up. (I've seen this in other products.)

You might try shotgunning the solder joints, resoldering every last one.

Ahh, good to hear someone has actually seen something like that before. Also, I just finished re-heating all the solder joints and am going to put it back together and keep fingers crossed.

Thanks!

Black & Decker [email protected] Home Repair 5 April 5th 08 04:38 PM
Up yours Black & Decker. ian field Electronics Repair 22 June 3rd 07 05:02 AM
Black & Decker R. Wink Woodworking 1 December 21st 04 09:37 AM
Problem of Black Decker bread machine Jeff Electronics Repair 6 November 15th 04 02:52 AM
Problem with Black & Decker jigsaw rck Home Repair 3 May 19th 04 01:33 AM