Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Generator "Back Feed" through GFI Outlet

On Tue, 27 Nov 2012 15:57:37 -0500, in sci.electronics.repair you wrote:

Hi,

I am planning on getting a generator incase of a long term loss of
power. So far that has never happened to me, but I want to be prepared.

If such an event would occur, I would "open" the main breaker, then
use the generator outside in back of my house to "back feed" through

SNIP
UPDATE:

I removed the GFI outlet and installed a "regular" 20A outlet.
Note: Wire to that outlet is 12 gauge. Also, that outlet is on a 20A circuit
breaker. The generator I am waiting for has 20A outlets.

John

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"possibly in code violation"

HAHAHAHAHA. Anyone who has to even read the code to know not to backfeed like that should not be allowed near screwdrivers. Some people make such a good case against universal health coverage, like Tim the toolman Taylor.

Also, why not just use extension cords ? At least it's kinda safe. You only want to power certain things anyway. You wouldn't power a jacuzzi or central AC that way, but you might want to power the furnace if it's gas. That and the fridges/deepfreezes. After that you got maybe a DSL router, some PC maybe or charge a laptop, charge the cellphones. Cordless phones. NOT the 55" Pioneer.

By the time it's all said and done, you're best off installing a separate box and rerouting what you consider critical supplies to it. You can interrupt it there just fine, and I'd bet there is a ready made product just for that. (lol)

Do it right, unless you have enough lumber in the attic for a new house in case that one burns down.