Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Other Uses for an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS)?

Have an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with dead battery and do not want to buy a new one so am interested in other uses.

Am interested in all suggestions!

Ken
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 09:53:01 -0800 (PST), KenO
wrote:

Have an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with dead battery and do not want to buy a new one so am interested in other uses.

Am interested in all suggestions!

Ken

Doorstop.

Chock behind the wheel of a car when jacking it up.

The power cord makes an adequate disiplinary device.

Give it to Goodwill.

If the shape is compatible, use it to raise a flowerpot off the
ground.

Heave it at the next missionary to come to your door.

Wrap it up in Christma wrapping and leave it a visible place for
someone to steal.

Buy a battey ( less than $20) and use it as a UPS.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"KenO" wrote in message
Have an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with dead battery and do not
want to buy a new one so am interested in other uses.

Am interested in all suggestions!

Ken

Wrap some furry stuff around it, and you can then pretend you have a cat
that loves you, rather than loves that you feed it.

Gareth.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

KenO wrote:
Have an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with dead battery and do not want to buy a new one so am interested in other uses.

Am interested in all suggestions!

Ken

Recently I was pursuing an isolation transformer, until I read a comment
of using a UPS in place of one. All one would need to do is remove the
A/C plug and operate the test device from the UPS. I often face this
kind of problem with a scope when troubleshooting a device.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 11/30/2012 2:14 PM, Ken wrote:
KenO wrote:
Have an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with dead battery and do
not want to buy a new one so am interested in other uses.

Am interested in all suggestions!

Ken

Recently I was pursuing an isolation transformer, until I read a comment
of using a UPS in place of one. All one would need to do is remove the
A/C plug and operate the test device from the UPS. I often face this
kind of problem with a scope when troubleshooting a device.

I wouldn't risk my life, or my scope on it.
Make darn sure the one you have is completely isolated.
Modified sine wave is sometimes a hindrance to debugging a power supply.

I forgot to mention another downside of trying to use a UPS as a general
purpose inverter or isolation transformer.
Some UPS's can't be manually started. You have to supply AC then remove it
to get it to run.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken" wrote in message ...
KenO wrote:
Have an Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) with dead battery and do not
want to buy a new one so am interested in other uses.

Am interested in all suggestions!

Ken

Recently I was pursuing an isolation transformer, until I read a comment
of using a UPS in place of one. All one would need to do is remove the
A/C plug and operate the test device from the UPS. I often face this kind
of problem with a scope when troubleshooting a device.

Most cheap UPS's do not produce a nice sine wave, but rather some crude
stepped waveform that supposedly approximates one.

If you are trying to troubleshoot something, you need to be sure of certain
things first, and work from there.
Generally you start with a good power supply.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

kind of problem with a scope when troubleshooting a device.

I wouldn't risk my life, or my scope on it.
Make darn sure the one you have is completely isolated.
Modified sine wave is sometimes a hindrance to debugging a power supply.

I forgot to mention another downside of trying to use a UPS as a general
purpose inverter or isolation transformer.
Some UPS's can't be manually started. You have to supply AC then remove
it
to get it to run.

Funny, I once took my UPS on a camping holiday, thinking I could charge my
phone on it.
Turned out the UPS wouldn't continually run with such a small load as a
mobile phone charger.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:20:56 -0800, mike wrote:

Don't expect to use it as an emergency inverter with a car battery.
The heat sinks are rarely able to dissipate the heat of a continuous
load over long periods.

at anything like rated output. I actually use a 150W unit as a
car-powered inverter for running my 40Watt Weller soldering iron on
solar-powered sites. The duty cycle never bothers the unit, but the
inaccessible PITA beeper is another matter entirely ....

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Am interested in all suggestions!"

Guess I let myself open but will only respond to constructive suggestions.

So far the only other use I have thought of is as a trickle charger for 12V gel or std lead acid batteries.

While I can easily make up a set of connector cables was also interested in making a cigarette plug connector to use if vehicle's lighter socket is energized with key off.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

OK, as to the OP, use it as a PS for an audio amp, but rectify the output directly, no more tranformers. Should be able to get plus and minus 150 or so. Feed that into some nice hefty pitput transistors and make the streets quake.

150*.707=106.05*106.05=11,246.6025/8=1,405.8253125 watts RMS

That is some serious power.

Make sure you charge some money for this of it works.

Just sayin'.