Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default CR battery shape anomaly

Hi,

had a call from a customer who wanted to replace the CR4250 battery in his
Yamaha AN1X keyboard. He bought a Duracell but it wouldn't easily fit in
the holder, and he didn't want to break anything by forcing it in.

He sent me a picture of the old battery next to the new one, showing a very
different build structure. The old one is on the right, manufactured by
FDK, Japan, the left is the Duracell.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ifference.jpg/

All the CR types I have seen look like the Duracell - is there/was there
different types about?

Seems rather strange that this one, and its holder, apparently do not
conform to modern size standards.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ah, he's just sent me this link.

http://www.renata.com/fileadmin/down...R2450N_v06.pdf

Maybe the "N" stands for "Not really the same shape as all the others"

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 10:32:54 -0000 "Gareth Magennis"
wrote in Message id:
:

Hi,

had a call from a customer who wanted to replace the CR4250 battery in his
Yamaha AN1X keyboard. He bought a Duracell but it wouldn't easily fit in
the holder, and he didn't want to break anything by forcing it in.

He sent me a picture of the old battery next to the new one, showing a very
different build structure. The old one is on the right, manufactured by
FDK, Japan, the left is the Duracell.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...ifference.jpg/

All the CR types I have seen look like the Duracell - is there/was there
different types about?

Seems rather strange that this one, and its holder, apparently do not
conform to modern size standards.

The battery on the right looks exactly like the one in my signal
generator, a Rohde and Schwarz SMT03. I could open it up later today and
get you a part # if that would be of any use. Let me know.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The solution to this problem is to buy a "correct" holder and replace the
original.

-----------------
What's odd is that the "original" cell has the wrong shape. Had the change
been in the other direction, I wouldn't have been surprised. The Chinese are
very bad about sticking with the correct dimensions. I bought supposedly
correct 3V alkaline batteries for a folding Colorpack camera -- and they
wouldnt fit. The seller told me his suppliers don't care to get it right.
(I would up having to use CR123A cells.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
The solution to this problem is to buy a "correct" holder and replace the
original.

Well not really, he could get this:
http://www.renata.com/fileadmin/down...R2450N_v06.pdf

instead of this:
http://www.panasonic.com/industrial/...450_CR2477.pdf

The question is, why do both these types currently exist side by side, being
as they (according to my customer) are non compatible in certain holders?

(I have just pulled both those pdf's straight from the Farnell website)

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, November 30, 2012 2:32:54 AM UTC-8, Gareth Magennis wrote:

had a call from a customer who wanted to replace the CR4250 battery in his
Yamaha AN1X keyboard. He bought a Duracell but it wouldn't easily fit

There's two mechanical variants, both with the 2450 part number.
CR2450 and CR2450N don't fit the same socket.
Some industrial suppliers ( Mcmaster.com for instance) offer both,
but usual stocks of batteries (at shops) offer only one manufacturer's
offerings and would only have ONE of the two.

CR2450 :== McMaster # 7701K58, CR2450N :== McMaster #7702K62
The CR2450N is appropriate for (among other things) my digital micrometer; as
far as I know, it's a Renata product only.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Friday, November 30, 2012 2:32:54 AM UTC-8, Gareth Magennis wrote:

had a call from a customer who wanted to replace the CR4250 battery in his
Yamaha AN1X keyboard. He bought a Duracell but it wouldn't easily fit

There's two mechanical variants, both with the 2450 part number.
CR2450 and CR2450N don't fit the same socket.
Some industrial suppliers ( Mcmaster.com for instance) offer both,
but usual stocks of batteries (at shops) offer only one manufacturer's
offerings and would only have ONE of the two.

CR2450 :== McMaster # 7701K58, CR2450N :== McMaster #7701K62
The CR2450N is appropriate for (among other things) my digital micrometer; as
far as I know, it's a Renata product only.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"whit3rd" wrote in message

On Friday, November 30, 2012 2:32:54 AM UTC-8, Gareth Magennis wrote:

had a call from a customer who wanted to replace the CR4250 battery in
his
Yamaha AN1X keyboard. He bought a Duracell but it wouldn't easily fit

There's two mechanical variants, both with the 2450 part number.
CR2450 and CR2450N don't fit the same socket.
Some industrial suppliers ( Mcmaster.com for instance) offer both,
but usual stocks of batteries (at shops) offer only one manufacturer's
offerings and would only have ONE of the two.

CR2450 :== McMaster # 7701K58, CR2450N :== McMaster #7701K62
The CR2450N is appropriate for (among other things) my digital micrometer;
as
far as I know, it's a Renata product only.

Thanks.

Pretty much the only CR series of battery I ever come across is the CR2032
in its various connection guises.
There don't appear to be any such mechanical variants with that type.
Or at least Renata don't make one.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The cell holder could possibly be modified with a Dremel tool or similar to
accept the more common cell.. or buy a holder for a common cell and maybe
solder it in place of the existing holder or possibly mount it off to the
side somewhere nearby.

--
Cheers,
WB