Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default DVD Player intermittent, periodic scraping noise

Our medium old JVC player has been making a periodic scraping noise that
comes and goes. Sometimes it starts up when the DVD is inserted, and
sometimes after it's been playing a while. The noise is periodic and
obviously related to the rotation of the disk. It doesn't seem to affect
the signal quality (so far).

Whatever is scraping, it doesn't seem to be hitting the bottom surface of
the disk, as there's no obvious scratches after playing.

Is this a sign of impending failure? Is there likely anything simple I
can do to prolong the life of the player (I'm willing and able to open
the case), or should I plan a purchase in the near future? We have no
backup and being without a player for even a few days will have a
noticeable impact on home life!

Thanks.

-- Joel

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"default" wrote in message
Our medium old JVC player has been making a periodic scraping noise that
comes and goes. Sometimes it starts up when the DVD is inserted, and
sometimes after it's been playing a while. The noise is periodic and
obviously related to the rotation of the disk. It doesn't seem to affect
the signal quality (so far).

Whatever is scraping, it doesn't seem to be hitting the bottom surface of
the disk, as there's no obvious scratches after playing.

Is this a sign of impending failure? Is there likely anything simple I
can do to prolong the life of the player (I'm willing and able to open
the case), or should I plan a purchase in the near future? We have no
backup and being without a player for even a few days will have a
noticeable impact on home life!

Thanks.

-- Joel

Sometimes suspension springs or rubber sags a bit and a disc may scrape.
Sometimes on the edge of the disc.Sometimes a visual inspection will tell
the tale, although some newer machines have the mech pretty well enclosed.
To fix it, compression springs can be stretched a bit, rubbers can be
shimmed, although the unit may be more prone to interference from mechanical
shock.

Mark Z.