Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Power supply problem on touchscreen contoller

I have an old IRIS 4d/35 system with touchscreen capabilities and display is CRT type.

Recently we upgraded the system to run on LCD displays where we needed to provide the touchscreen controller with a separate power supply since the power for the controller was previously drawn from the CRT power supply.

However when a new switching power supply was used the touchscreen did not work. Reverting back to the supply from the CRT works flawlessly.

The supplies required for the touchscreen controller are 12V, -12V and 5V. The CRT power supply had a common ground and so does the new switching power supply.

Any idea what could be the problem with the new power supply. Any advise would be very much appreciated.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Perhaps the switching supply is not able to supply enough current via one or
more outputs, and is shutting down.

Many off the shelf supplies will deliver a hefty dose of 5v, much less in
the way of +12v, and often way less than the +12v figure for the -12v.

Gareth.

wrote in message
I have an old IRIS 4d/35 system with touchscreen capabilities and display
is CRT type.

Recently we upgraded the system to run on LCD displays where we needed to
provide the touchscreen controller with a separate power supply since the
power for the controller was previously drawn from the CRT power supply.

However when a new switching power supply was used the touchscreen did not
work. Reverting back to the supply from the CRT works flawlessly.

The supplies required for the touchscreen controller are 12V, -12V and 5V.
The CRT power supply had a common ground and so does the new switching
power supply.

Any idea what could be the problem with the new power supply. Any advise
would be very much appreciated.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I've checked on this and this is what I found.

The original power supply is proving 5V - 2A, +12V - 0.3A, -12V - 0.2A
While the replacement power supply 5V - 4A, +12V - 2A, -12V - 0.5A

Has the common ground of the +12V and +5V effect on the -12V in anyway?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I've checked on this and this is what I found.

The original power supply is proving 5V - 2A, +12V - 0.3A, -12V - 0.2A
While the replacement power supply 5V - 4A, +12V - 2A, -12V - 0.5A

Has the common ground of the +12V and +5V effect on the -12V in anyway?

Well the new power supply seems well capable, so either there is something
you have missed common grounds, or perhaps its the power up sequence
that might be wrong, and the various devices are not communicating/booting
together properly.

Dunno.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 8:57:10 PM UTC+8, mike wrote:
On 11/22/2012 4:12 AM, wrote:

I've checked on this and this is what I found.

The original power supply is proving 5V - 2A, +12V - 0.3A, -12V - 0.2A

While the replacement power supply 5V - 4A, +12V - 2A, -12V - 0.5A

Has the common ground of the +12V and +5V effect on the -12V in anyway?

What do you mean by proving?

Do you mean "reading the labels on the power supplies?"

With the system operating, what voltages did you measure?

If you got the right voltmeter readings, look with a scope

to see if it's really DC.

Power supplies have a minimum load requirement. Sometimes

that's supplied inside. Other times, you're required to provide

some minimum external load for everything to work out right.

However when a new switching power supply was used the touchscreen did

not work. Reverting back to the supply from the CRT works flawlessly.

Exactly what was the symptom of "did not work?"

Does this mean that you left the touch screen attached to the LCD and only

swapped out the power supply?

Depending on the mechanical configuration, noise from the LCD backlight

might

affect the touch screen. You can check this by distancing the touch

from the lcd.

What do you mean by proving? Sorry that was a spelling mistake. I meant providing.

Exactly what was the symptom of "did not work?"

The touchscreen did not respond to any touch inputs.

Does this mean that you left the touch screen attached to the LCD and only

swapped out the power supply?

Yes that's what I did.

Will check the output with a scope since the voltages are not far apart in comparison.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
I have an old IRIS 4d/35 system with touchscreen capabilities and display

is CRT type.

Recently we upgraded the system to run on LCD displays where we needed to

provide the touchscreen controller with a separate power supply since the
power for the controller was previously drawn from the CRT power supply.

However when a new switching power supply was used the touchscreen did

not work. Reverting back to the supply from the CRT works flawlessly.

The supplies required for the touchscreen controller are 12V, -12V and

5V. The CRT power supply had a common ground and so does the new switching
power supply.

Any idea what could be the problem with the new power supply. Any advise

would be very much appreciated.

Does the touchscreen use a high "static" voltage (ultimately via the CRT
accelerating voltage) as part of its operation ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thursday, November 22, 2012 6:36:32 PM UTC+8, wrote:
I have an old IRIS 4d/35 system with touchscreen capabilities and display is CRT type.

Recently we upgraded the system to run on LCD displays where we needed to provide the touchscreen controller with a separate power supply since the power for the controller was previously drawn from the CRT power supply.

However when a new switching power supply was used the touchscreen did not work. Reverting back to the supply from the CRT works flawlessly.

The supplies required for the touchscreen controller are 12V, -12V and 5V. The CRT power supply had a common ground and so does the new switching power supply.

Any idea what could be the problem with the new power supply. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

When we upgraded from CRT to LCD the touchscreen was upgraded at the same time. I suspect the problem is with the power supply as reverting back to the original solves the problem.