Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Emergency (blackout) Bath Fan?

Has anyone seen any good ideas for an emergency bath fan for blackouts?

(I was without power twice due to the Hurricane+Nor'easter. The fan was the
only thing I wasn't prepared for.)

I once saw a forest fire sensor that piezo generated electricity for itself
by tapping the eddies created by wind motion. But the fan would create
self-propogating eddies - not so bad, so long as you could shut it off.

Ideas?

- = -
http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Nov 9, 9:21*am, wrote:
Has anyone seen any good ideas for an emergency bath fan for blackouts?

(I was without power twice due to the Hurricane+Nor'easter. The fan was the
only thing I wasn't prepared for.)

I once saw a forest fire sensor that piezo generated electricity for itself
by tapping the eddies created by wind motion. But the fan would create
self-propogating eddies - not so bad, so long as you could shut it off.

Ideas?

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * - = -
*Vasos Panagiotopoulos, Columbia'81+, Reagan, Mozart, Pindus, BioStrategist
* * * * * * * * * *http://www.panix.com/~vjp2/vasos.htm
* ---{Nothing herein constitutes advice. *Everything fully disclaimed..}---
* *[Homeland Security means private firearms not lazy obstructive guards]
*[Urb sprawl confounds terror] [Phooey on GUI: Windows for subprime Bimbos]

Hold it in until the electricity comes back ong.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 15:21:16 +0000 (UTC),
wrote:

Has anyone seen any good ideas for an emergency bath fan for blackouts?

(I was without power twice due to the Hurricane+Nor'easter. The fan was the
only thing I wasn't prepared for.)

Leave the existing AC powered fan in place. Provide some manner of
temporary mounting in front of the fan grill for an additional 12V DC
powered fan. You'll need something that will provide 80-120 cfm.
Power this fan with a portable gel cell or wet cell battery. Trickle
charge between hurricanes. Use the battery pack for lighting and
emergency power when not taking a bath.
http://www.batterysavers.com/Emergency_Battery_Operated_Fan.htm
http://www.batterysavers.com/02cool-1054-1071-1078.html
Something from a camper, caravan, or trailer might also work. There
are also low power consumption fans for off grid homes and solar
powered attic fans that could be adapted.

The temporary fan installation will avoid any code compliance problems
which could cause your homeowners insurance company to claim that the
fire was your fault.

You could also rewire the house so that AC power to the bathroom
lights, wall outlets, and exhaust fan come from a single circuit
breaker. Install a transfer switch (or separate transfer box), to
power just the bathroom from a local inverter or generator when
needed. I'm not sure if this is per code, practical, safe, or even a
good idea. Check with an electrician first.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

In the UK most recent installations have a low voltage fan with a
transformer block not too far away, check the DIY & builders merchants for a
12V one that has a DC motor.

A motorcycle battery is less conspicuous than car size, then all you need is
a trendy electronic charger rated safe for float charging and a changeover
switch.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012 21:33:10 -0000, "Ian Field"
wrote:

A motorcycle battery is less conspicuous than car size, then all you need is
a trendy electronic charger rated safe for float charging and a changeover
switch.

Motorcycle batteries are made to be fairly light weight and therefore
don't have enough lead to be considered deep cycle. Like automobile
batteries, they make lousy stationary batteries. They're made to dump
a large amount of current in a short time as in starting a car or
motorcycle. My experience with them for standby power is dismal.

I made a few wooden boxes to hold a few gel cells and charger. Some
are made to run lights, lanterns, ham radio, AM/FM radio, etc. All
have a standard pair of power connectors (Anderson power pole and
Molex something two pin). If I need power, I just bring one of the
boxes to the load.