DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Need help identifying TI 6855A component (https://www.diybanter.com/electronics-repair/348935-need-help-identifying-ti-6855a-component.html)

Franc Zabkar November 9th 12 08:33 AM

Need help identifying TI 6855A component

I'm trying to help the OP at the following thread:
http://forum.hddguru.com/fried-pcb-n...ip-t24422.html

I'm fairly certain that the problem is a shorted TVS diode, but I'm
curious as to the identify of a 16-pin chip with the following
markings:

6855A
TI 271
A1CJ

It is located just below the 4-pin jumper block, and at about 10
o'clock to the MCU (the largest IC).

I suspect that it was made by Texas Instruments, and that it may be a
step-down PWM regulator with integrated MOSFET and diode.

A datasheet search at TI's web site found no items containing "6855".

The board appears to have 5 switchmode supplies (there are 5
inductors), with one being a -5V supply and the others probably being
positive step-down regulators. One would provide +1.8V for the SDRAM
and flash memory, while the others would provide the Vcore and Vio
supplies for the MCU.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar November 11th 12 10:34 PM

Need help identifying TI 6855A component

On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 19:33:13 +1100, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

6855A
TI 271
A1CJ

The "271" looks like a data code, maybe week 1 of the 7th month
(July), 2012.

The date codes on other ICs include 228, 229, 1228, 231 which would be
consistent.

Could it be a Japanese part?

- Franc Zabkar

N_Cook November 12th 12 12:16 PM

Franc Zabkar wrote in message
On Fri, 09 Nov 2012 19:33:13 +1100, Franc Zabkar
put finger to keyboard and composed:

6855A
TI 271
A1CJ

The "271" looks like a data code, maybe week 1 of the 7th month
(July), 2012.

The date codes on other ICs include 228, 229, 1228, 231 which would be
consistent.

Could it be a Japanese part?

- Franc Zabkar

Is it FQN-16 footprint? if so probably .cn origin

Franc Zabkar November 12th 12 09:22 PM

Need help identifying TI 6855A component

On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:16:12 -0000, "N_Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Is it FQN-16 footprint? if so probably .cn origin

I don't have access to the actual board. All I have are the photos in
that thread ...

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/6855A.jpg

- Franc Zabkar

N_Cook November 13th 12 08:54 AM

Need help identifying TI 6855A component

Franc Zabkar wrote in message
On Mon, 12 Nov 2012 12:16:12 -0000, "N_Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

Is it FQN-16 footprint? if so probably .cn origin

I don't have access to the actual board. All I have are the photos in
that thread ...

http://www.users.on.net/~fzabkar/HDD/6855A.jpg

- Franc Zabkar

presumably these grey market "Texas Instr", complete with erroneous col
headers. Difficult to be sure they are QFN-16 in your pic

http://www.szspl-ic.com/en/IcStock.aspx?page=84&pp=TI

Franc Zabkar November 13th 12 08:46 PM

Need help identifying TI 6855A component

On Tue, 13 Nov 2012 08:54:04 -0000, "N_Cook" put
finger to keyboard and composed:

presumably these grey market "Texas Instr", complete with erroneous col
headers.

It's from a Seagate hard drive. I doubt that Seagate would source
their components from dubious outlets.

Could it be "T1" (tee one) rather than TI (tee eye)?

- Franc Zabkar