Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Fake or substandard STK parts?

OK, here's the thing.

Genelec 8050A powered speakers use the Power Amp module STK 442-130. I have
had 2 customers bring me 3 of these for repair.

First one, I got a pretty cheap STK 442-130 from Ebay.
Here are some:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...at=0&_from=R40

Trouble is it blew after a couple of days.

After posting here and showing some photos, it was deemed by some here that
these Ebay ones are not the original Sanyo parts. Maybe not "fake" as such,
but sub standard.
My second customer said he'd taken his speaker to another repairer, and
again the chip kept blowing for no apparent reason.

I have sourced 2 of these parts from the Genelec distributor HHB, at great
expense, and have not heard anything back from the first customer, the
second customers one is still going strong, so maybe these are in fact the
"good" ones from the Genelec production line?

Unfortunately HHB will not sell these any more, but will sell the complete
board at over £200.

So, does anyone have any definitive info on these chips, what they are, or
what they are not?

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Oh, and I should mention that the Genelec Bass Driver (which is the side of
the chip that always blows, tweeter still works) is actually 4 ohms.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
[...]

I have had great luck with Dalbani on eBay. Pioneer hybrid outputs for
example.

A customer blew his up again. Had no choice but to contact seller. They
replaced it immediately at no charge and don't bother to send the
"defective" back.

So I cracked it open, along with the original Pioneer part.

Absolutely IDENTICAL inside. Not a fake.

Defective customer.

Receiver functions to this day after a severe scolding on speaker wires etc.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have had great luck with Dalbani on eBay. Pioneer hybrid outputs for
example.

A customer blew his up again. Had no choice but to contact seller. They
replaced it immediately at no charge and don't bother to send the
"defective" back.

So I cracked it open, along with the original Pioneer part.

Absolutely IDENTICAL inside. Not a fake.

Defective customer.

Receiver functions to this day after a severe scolding on speaker wires
etc.

Mark Z.

Ah, that looks promising - their Ebay shop lists both an "Original Sanyo"
part and a "Generic" part for less money.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Gareth Magennis wrote in message
OK, here's the thing.

Genelec 8050A powered speakers use the Power Amp module STK 442-130. I

have
had 2 customers bring me 3 of these for repair.

First one, I got a pretty cheap STK 442-130 from Ebay.
Here are some:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...=STK+442-130&_
sacat=0&_from=R40

[...]

Can you be sure there is not ultrasonic instability develops in the preamp
from a batch of duff caps used on the Genelec secondary supply rails say

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"N_Cook" wrote in message
[...]

No, I can't be 100% sure of anything really, except the 2 speakers with the
2 devices procured from HHB appear to be lasting well.

I suspect the problem is substandard devices that are insufficiently specced
to run a high power 4 ohm load without melting.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Oct 31, 10:48*am, "Gareth Magennis"
wrote:
"N_Cook" wrote in message

Gareth Magennis wrote in message
OK, here's the thing.

Genelec 8050A powered speakers use the Power Amp module STK 442-130. *I

have
had 2 customers bring me 3 of these for repair.

First one, I got a pretty cheap STK 442-130 from Ebay.
Here are some:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_tr...13&_nkw=STK+44...
sacat=0&_from=R40

[...]

I will never do that again. I used to try to save money with
questionable parts but after being burned a few times I will never do
that again. You're better off to walk away from the job than try to
save the customer a few bucks, (or whatever) at your expense.
Lenny