Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Philips 32PT663R37A

I've had this flat screen CRT TV for many years of satisfactory service.
Last night the power relay clicked and the screen blanked for a few seconds;
returned to normal. Repeated a hour later. I'm assuming the TV went into
protection mode. I'd like to think that cleaning dust from the HV area
might solve the issue.
2 questions:
Am I on the right trrack? I'd check for bad caps visually [I have an ESR as
well], etc. but probably would not go much further.
Given the size of the TV I must have prevailed on a helper to get this up on
its table. It is awkward, heavy and difficult for me to move by myself. I
no longer have an available helper [wife has a bad back]. How do you tackle
moving these monsters?
[I may just give it away to someone capable of moving it and replace with a
lighter wieght LED model.]
Thanks for any advice on either issue.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I was able to strong arm the TV on its table to gain access and remove the
case. [I never would have been able to pick up and place on the floor.]
The HV section had, indeed, accumulated a nice thick coating of dust. I
cleaned up. No bad caps observed. Works OK now but time will tell.

"John Keiser" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

General clean up failed.
TV still turns off momentarily and then comes right back good as new.
Happens randomly: some days not at all, others in a few hours and the OK.
TV does not display odd colors, abberations, Very nice before and after
momentary shut down.
The large caps passed visual inspection.
I have an ESR but didn't use it.
There are no stray remote controls in the room.
Any thoughts as to the cause of this?
Thanks for any clues.
[...]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 6 Oct 2012 08:05:39 -1000, "John Keiser"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I've had this flat screen CRT TV for many years of satisfactory service.
Last night the power relay clicked and the screen blanked for a few seconds;
returned to normal. Repeated a hour later. I'm assuming the TV went into
protection mode.

This appears to be the service manual (L01.1U AC Chassis):
http://schematicsforum.com/schematic...navox/7638.pdf

Page 10 in this document discusses how protection works:
http://www.maritv.net/Public/data/ri...20TRAINING.pdf

Google turns up numerous hits related to protection (some are even
relevant):
http://www.google.com.au/search?q=%2...2+protect ion

There is a tech tip in this document that may be worth looking at:
http://www.gesda.com/transformer/pdfs/Winter2010.pdf

Problem: Shuts down as soon as the picture comes on.

Fix: Replaced Resistor 3451 and Diode 6447, then had to use FMR to put
unit in factory mode to adjust screen to a point just below retrace.

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Franc,

Thank you for the service manual link I will ponder.
The TV works fine when it is turned on, only much later momentarily turning
off. So the service hint from GEDA about turning off immediately is
probably not my situation.
Several of the google + protection mode hits are my inital post here!
The schematic is useful.
Thanks!