Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Sharp MV-D2000 Laserdisc malfunction

I have a Sharp MV-D2000 player that I hadn't used in some time, although it has been
connected to power. When I tried to use it just recently, it loaded the disc normally, spun up,
made the little seeking noises, spun down, and then ejected the disc. (I did try a number
of discs.) On just one occasion, just after power on, it did start to play, but the picture was
torn up badly.

I removed the cover and watched it power up and then loaded a disc. The carriage seems
to be moving ok, the disc spins up and then attempts to adjust speed, and the laser lens
advances and retracts (up/down). I dusted the lenses off with a soft brush, although they did not
appear to be dirty. No change in symptoms.

It will play audio CDs. I cleaned the spindle and the slipping "squeak" at startup, which
it had always had, went away. But the same symptoms persist.

And ideas/suggestions?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Bill Vogel
highcountryrider.at.bmi.net
(Seattle)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Check the disk. It might be cracked. (Yes, it's possible for one side to be
cracked and the other side okay.)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Saturday, September 29, 2012 3:39:04 PM UTC-7, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Check the disk. It might be cracked. (Yes, it's possible for one side to be

cracked and the other side okay.)

I did try several discs, no change in symptoms.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 29 Sep 2012 14:37:49 -0700, Bill wrote:

And ideas/suggestions?

One address: Kurtis Bahr )

Cheers!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
Check the disk. It might be cracked. (Yes, it's possible for one side to
be

cracked and the other side okay.)

I did try several discs, no change in symptoms.

If it plays audio discs, but not video ones, then the problem is almost
certainly the laser. It's not always visible dust that causes the problem.
The optical chamber below the lens is usually open to the air, and dust will
settle in there on things like the critical angle mirror and pickup array.
This severely compromises the performance of the laser. Sometimes, you can
'get it back' by carefully holding the lens to one side, and squirting some
dry compressed air down the gap into the optical chamber.

Also, just because the lens didn't look dusty, that doesn't necessarily mean
that it is optically clean. Many lasers that I see that are performing
badly, have a sort of 'film' over the lens. This is only removed by gentle
application of a cotton bud (Q-Tip) moistened in electronics grade IPA, and
then the lens surface polished with a dry bud. This is very often the
problem when the unit comes from a smoking household.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No smoking here, but I will give that a go (not smoking, cleaning the optics )
before trying the email.

Thanks for the suggestions.

LaserDisc Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 13 January 23rd 12 10:45 AM
Should I use the 110v or 120v selection for my laserdisc [email protected] Home Repair 10 July 15th 07 07:43 AM
Ancient VP-1000 laserdisc went boom frenchy Electronics Repair 6 February 14th 06 01:59 AM
FA: Broken PIONEER DVL-V888 Laserdisc DVD / Broken sharp VL-H860U Hi8camcorder w/ LCD Screen robotron -X- Electronics Repair 0 March 24th 04 03:30 AM
LaserDisc Repair? Steve Reinis Electronics Repair 4 September 17th 03 08:31 PM