Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Toshiba Thrive charging low battery event.

I leave my tablet in the car and yesterday I was using it and I didn't
turn it off.

This morning when I got into my car, the screen saver popped on, and I
notice the low batter report on the screen, it said I had less than 20%
or something of that matter.

I started the car, I use the AC adapter that came with it in the car
operating from a small (very small) inverter, the inverter has a time
delay on after the car starts to prevent miss hits, something I went out
of my way on getting.

I didn't bother looking at the tablet because I was too busy driving
but I know the inverter was operating because I also have another small
device that operates from it and that was on so I knew everything was
just fine.

When I got to work this morning, i decided to reach over and do a full
power off of the tablet, I noticed the battery indicator only light was
on but the tablet was not. When I turned off the car, inverter shut
down, 19 volt adapter turned off, but the battery light was still lit on
the tablet. Also, when I tried to turn it on, no go.

So i took it into work with me and tried charging it for a couple of
hours, I don't know if it did anything or not however, regardless if I
have the adapter in or out of the unit, the low batter LED (orange)
remains on. So, I left it with no AC power all day, last time I checked,
the LED was still illuminated as low battery..

Do I need to fully discharge this thing to correct it or let it do a
trickle charge for 24 hours before it corrects itself? The battery
was reporting very low this morning. I thought maybe I may have to do
what was needed when it was new?

A little history, this Toshiba Thrive has had a bad habit of powering
itself up randomly when it was fully shut down. This sometimes happens
after a day or so of sitting around. I don't know if that has any
bearing on the problem..

If any one has some insights on this it would be much appreciated. For
now I'll just charge it over night to see if it corrects.. I am thinking
that maybe the unit got confused since it was on to start with when the
battery voltage dropped to low, which may explain the reason for the low
LED light being on even when no AC power is attached.

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

when did you buy this tablet?

Charging a car battery with 14V AC? Gary[_13_] Electronics Repair 26 June 4th 12 11:26 PM
Battery charging pebe UK diy 28 January 18th 10 10:33 AM
li-ion battery charging [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 February 10th 06 04:35 AM
Charging a Ni-cad battery Ken Home Repair 33 June 2nd 05 11:43 PM
O.T. Battery Charging Jimbo Metalworking 5 November 10th 03 06:41 AM