Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default LABCO PS243 - Charging the battery

Hi ,

Having this power supply to provide 12V (with a back up battery).

The battery seems to be connected in // with the 12VDC output.

It doesn't seem to charge it. Do I need more than 12V to charge it ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:24:12 -0700 (PDT), benitos
wrote:

Hi ,

Having this power supply to provide 12V (with a back up battery).

The battery seems to be connected in // with the 12VDC output.

It doesn't seem to charge it. Do I need more than 12V to charge it ?

Yes. A 12V lead acid battery is typically charged at 14.2 to 14.4
volts.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Le mercredi 5 septembre 2012 19:40:03 UTC-4, (inconnu) a écrit*:
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:24:12 -0700 (PDT), benitos wrote: Hi , Having this power supply to provide 12V (with a back up battery). The battery seems to be connected in // with the 12VDC output. It doesn't seem to charge it. Do I need more than 12V to charge it ? Yes. A 12V lead acid battery is typically charged at 14.2 to 14.4 volts. PlainBill

Max I can go is 13.8V .

Is it OK ?

Also , because it's connected in // with the output , it's Ok if there is voltage across the battery all the time ?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 06:09:50 -0700 (PDT), benitos
wrote:

Le mercredi 5 septembre 2012 19:40:03 UTC-4, (inconnu) a écrit*:
On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 09:24:12 -0700 (PDT), benitos wrote: Hi , Having this power supply to provide 12V (with a back up battery). The battery seems to be connected in // with the 12VDC output. It doesn't seem to charge it. Do I need more than 12V to charge it ? Yes. A 12V lead acid battery is typically charged at 14.2 to 14.4 volts. PlainBill

Max I can go is 13.8V .

Is it OK ?

Also , because it's connected in // with the output , it's Ok if there is voltage across the battery all the time ?

I missed the beginning of this thread, but if you want to float charge
a 12 V lead acid battery, then 13.8 volts is the proper voltage to do
so. The battery will maintain its charge without overcharging. If
the battery is used and needs to be recharged, it will take longer,
but it will work. Putting a 12 volt lead acid battery in parallel
with a 13.8 power supply was a very common thing to do before all
these fancy high tech battery control ICs became available.

Pat

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

wrote:

[...]

But you better make sure the supply does not drag the battery down when
power is removed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I think I would at least have a resistor between them. There's guys around
here that know a lot more than I about the care and feeding of batteries,
but it is my belief that some resistance in series will help prevent
overcharging. Perhaps as little as 10 ohms or so.

Mark Z.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 12:03:30 -0400, "tm"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

or worse still, zap the output semis (that HAS happened to one PSU
here).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
tm tm is offline

"Mark Zacharias" wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

No, you do not want any current to feed back into the unpowered supply. Use
a good quality schottky diode of to appropriate current rating. Also,
consider a fuse to avoid a fire. Lead acid batteries like to be charged from
a constant voltage, current limited power supply.

Charging a car battery with 14V AC? Gary[_13_] Electronics Repair 26 June 4th 12 11:26 PM
Battery charging pebe UK diy 28 January 18th 10 10:33 AM
battery charging etc Fray Bentos UK diy 7 September 29th 06 08:29 PM
li-ion battery charging [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 February 10th 06 04:35 AM
O.T. Battery Charging Jimbo Metalworking 5 November 10th 03 06:41 AM