Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default uPB8228C replacement

Hi,

can't seem to even find a printable datasheet for this well obsolete device.

Its an 8080A controller/bus driver, just wondering if anyone knows where I
might find a replacement - perhaps someone knows of a common old piece of
equipment that might have one I can salvage.

This is in an AMS DMX 1580, a digital delay from the last century.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 09:57:52 +0100 "Gareth Magennis"
wrote in Message id:
:

Hi,

can't seem to even find a printable datasheet for this well obsolete device.

Its an 8080A controller/bus driver, just wondering if anyone knows where I
might find a replacement - perhaps someone knows of a common old piece of
equipment that might have one I can salvage.

This is in an AMS DMX 1580, a digital delay from the last century.

Ebay?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...&_nkw=uPB8228C

Datasheet:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/UPB8228C-datasheet.html

Intel also made the 8228. Very likely that Intel designed it, and NEC
copied.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

Hi,

can't seem to even find a printable datasheet for this well obsolete
device.

Its an 8080A controller/bus driver, just wondering if anyone knows where I
might find a replacement - perhaps someone knows of a common old piece of
equipment that might have one I can salvage.

This is in an AMS DMX 1580, a digital delay from the last century.

Ebay?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...&_nkw=uPB8228C

Datasheet:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/UPB8228C-datasheet.html

Intel also made the 8228. Very likely that Intel designed it, and NEC
copied.

Oops, must have made a typo when I searched Ebay yesterday.
There's one on Ebay UK too which I've just bought.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote in Message id:
:

Hi,

can't seem to even find a printable datasheet for this well obsolete
device.

Its an 8080A controller/bus driver, just wondering if anyone knows where
might find a replacement - perhaps someone knows of a common old piece of
equipment that might have one I can salvage.

This is in an AMS DMX 1580, a digital delay from the last century.

Ebay?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...&_nkw=uPB8228C

Datasheet:
http://www.datasheetarchive.com/UPB8228C-datasheet.html

Intel also made the 8228. Very likely that Intel designed it, and NEC
copied.

Oops, must have made a typo when I searched Ebay yesterday.
There's one on Ebay UK too which I've just bought.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Damn, replacement didn't work.

Reason for suspecting this device was that the systems _WR line was held at
around 1 volt, other Address/Data lines look normal.
Isolating this device from that line produced a solid zero, so worth a punt,
I thought.

On boot up there doesn't appear to be any activity on the _WR line at all.

Sigh. Could be anything.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

:

wrote in Message id:
:

[...]

Do you have a schematic? The _WR line comes from the CPU, but perhaps it
goes somewhere else. Could the CPU itself be bad?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"JW" wrote in message
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:30:12 +0100 "Gareth Magennis"
wrote in Message id:
:

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
.. .

wrote in Message id:
:

[...]

No I don't have a schematic, but it is a small PCB. The _WR line also goes
to 2 DRAM chips, but nowhere else as far as I can tell.

Yes, the CPU could be faulty, the RAM could be faulty, the EPROM could be
faulty, and a few other things too.
This is a very old board.
(Apart from the EPROM, and now the chip I replaced, none of these chips are
socketed)

I will go back tomorrow and see if I can see anything else on the scope that
might look a little suspect, and what, if anything, is actually happening -
I didn't get much further than noticing the _WR was definitely screwy.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
JW JW is offline

On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:32:16 +0100 "Gareth Magennis"
wrote in Message id:
:

"JW" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 19:30:12 +0100 "Gareth Magennis"
wrote in Message id:
:

"Gareth Magennis" wrote in message
. ..

wrote in Message id:
:

[...]

Just a thought... If you can isolate it again, try putting a 2.2K resistor
pullup on the signal to see if the CPU can drive that lower than .8V

No I don't have a schematic, but it is a small PCB. The _WR line also goes
to 2 DRAM chips, but nowhere else as far as I can tell.

Normally I'd suspect the DRAM chips as well, but not so much if isolating
the _WR signal to the 8228 seemed to correct the voltage level.

Also, the 8080A had three power supplies (+12V, +5V and -5V), but you
probably already checked/knew that.

[snip]

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"JW" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 11:32:16 +0100 "Gareth Magennis"
wrote in Message id:
:

. ..
:

wrote in Message id:
:

[...]

Oops, sory about that double post, finger slipped.

Its a public holiday in the UK today but just popped into my workshop cos
I'm curious, and this actually belongs to a friend of mine.

I did try a pullup resistor on the _WR line which gave a good zero, as did
simply removing the 8228. Only when the 8228 was connected did the line
hang at around 2v. A bit weird, but that's what lead me to replace it.

But I think I may be closer now. I'd checked the 3 power supplies, but
scoping all the 8080A lines just now reveals one other dodgy looking one,
D6. The pulse train is only 3v pk to pk instead of 5v.
This line connects only to D6 on the 8228, and on removing the 8228 it
remains at 3v.
So it looks to be the 8080A processor then, with a faulty D6 (and possibly
_WR).

Thanks,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

No I don't have a schematic, but it is a small PCB. The _WR line also
goes to 2 DRAM chips, but nowhere else as far as I can tell.

Yes, the CPU could be faulty, the RAM could be faulty, the EPROM could be
faulty, and a few other things too.
This is a very old board.
(Apart from the EPROM, and now the chip I replaced, none of these chips
are socketed)

I will go back tomorrow and see if I can see anything else on the scope
that might look a little suspect, and what, if anything, is actually
happening - I didn't get much further than noticing the _WR was definitely
screwy.

Cheers,

Gareth.

Not supposed to be a pull-up on that /WR line maybe ? Little sm resistor
gone open ? Worth hanging a 1k up to rail in case some internal pull-up on
one of the chips has gone open ?

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

I tried a pullup on _WR when first investigating. Although it produced a
nice zero, there was no activity.

I have since found another duff line, which was only producing 3v - I
quickly tried a pullup on that with the pin off the board and in the air,
and it suddenly shot up from its 3v and stayed at full value swings, but
with an obviously faulty waveform (large RC curves).

So yes, I suspect it it the output tri-state interfaces/pullups that are
failing on this device.

There are no sm devices on board, this is from the 1970s/1980s!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lhE1upzemU

Cheers,

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

[...]

Well, managed to get an NEC 8080AFC off the Interweb, socketed it onto the
board, and the AMS is now working again.

Hurrah!

Thanks JW and Arfa,

Gareth.

Jif Replacement Pinot Grigio UK diy 30 March 17th 08 05:01 PM
Replacement CRT (Used). Dani Electronics Repair 0 February 6th 08 12:30 AM
Replacement window minus the replacement Gabrielli Home Repair 3 July 18th 06 02:26 PM
HP LJ 5 replacement fan? Jonathan Electronics Repair 5 July 10th 06 06:05 PM
Looking for replacement IC Mark Martindale Electronics Repair 0 November 17th 04 09:43 PM