Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Ipod Nano 3rd 2 Long Beeps

With patience, a guitar pick and dental floss the rear case did come off.
Thank you all for your advice. In doing so, I may have damaged something:
the iPod now has a grey screen and emits 2 long beeps. Normal reset does
not help. iTunes recognizes the iPod and restored the firmware. No joy.
Still a grey screen with 2 long beeps. Google shows "2 long beeps" but
seems to be fatal.
Any opinions?
Thank you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 12 Aug 2012 20:59:38 -1000, "John Keiser"
wrote:

With patience, a guitar pick and dental floss the rear case did come off.
Thank you all for your advice. In doing so, I may have damaged something:
the iPod now has a grey screen and emits 2 long beeps. Normal reset does
not help. iTunes recognizes the iPod and restored the firmware. No joy.
Still a grey screen with 2 long beeps. Google shows "2 long beeps" but
seems to be fatal.

Make sure you've really reset it.
http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/five_rs/nano3gen/

If you've successfully restored the firmware and it still doesn't
work, it's not totalled. The display connector is loose. Open it up
again and check these ribbon connectors:
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/2RB5vXjVfVuArppn.huge
http://guide-images.ifixit.net/igi/ViWcS6EgOIcUWDcW.huge
It's really easy to accidentally knock the locking mechanism loose
while replacing the battery. The 2nd photo is the display connector,
which is the most likely culprit.

Be careful as you're working with a live battery connected. Make sure
it's turned off. Try not to drag the cable in and out of the
connector or at an angle. This will short random pins and might do
some damage.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

John Keiser wrote

With patience, a guitar pick and dental floss the rear case did come off.
Thank you all for your advice. In doing so, I may have damaged something:
the iPod now has a grey screen and emits 2 long beeps. Normal reset does
not help. iTunes recognizes the iPod and restored the firmware. No joy.
Still a grey screen with 2 long beeps. Google shows "2 long beeps" but
seems to be fatal.
Any opinions?

She's dead, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The LCD connection appears fine.
I note that lifting the battery slightly and pressing down gently on the LCD
cable consistently elicits a "reboot" [screen blacks out followed by white
screen and 2 long beeps]. I will remove and reattach the cable again to rule
out the connection but from this I infer a defect in the cable itself. I
will magnify the traces but would have like hope of a repair as they are too
fine for my skill set. Probably worth the $10 for a new LCD screen.

"John Keiser" wrote in message
news:4Lidnd6bUeN8OLXNnZ2dnUVZ_sudnZ2d@powerusenet. com...
With patience, a guitar pick and dental floss the rear case did come off.
Thank you all for your advice. In doing so, I may have damaged something:
the iPod now has a grey screen and emits 2 long beeps. Normal reset does
not help. iTunes recognizes the iPod and restored the firmware. No joy.
Still a grey screen with 2 long beeps. Google shows "2 long beeps" but
seems to be fatal.
Any opinions?
Thank you.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Apparently 2 long beeps indicates a bad LCD screen. Replaced screen [$9.75
from Hing Kong] and good again.
Thanks for the encouragement.