Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default JVC MX-S2 CD player

On Saturday, June 1, 2002 10:46:55 AM UTC-7, Me wrote:
We have had this old thing for probably 8 or 10 years now, and in the past
year or so (I think that's about right, but I haven't been doing any major
statistics on it) whenever you put in a disc, the thing won't play. I don't
know if it checks optically if something is there before trying to spin up
or not, but it doesn't spin up after the tray retracts all the way. What I
have found is that right when it closes, if you beat on the side of the case
of the unit, (sometimes it takes several tries of ejecting, closing, and
beating again) it will finally see the disc, spin up, and play like it
should.

I'm not sure if it is SUPPOSED to spin up to check for a disk, or if it
checks only by optics from the laser/lense.

ONe idea I had for why this happens, is because it's so old, that ever time
a CD is done playing, the chassis that the lense rides on goes back to the
middle, and might either have worn a lot of play in the gears, or caused
some damage to the switch that makes it stop moving (so the timing might be
off). What I"m saying is maybe after so much use it might be going TOO far
to the middle, therefore when it tries to see if a disc is in there (right
after closing the tray) it is in the wrong place.

So if someone could help, I would appreciate it. If no one can/will help,
we'll just buy a new one, or attach an external CD player to it.

Thanks

Hi,

Did you have any luck getting the CD player working? I barely received my long awaited JVC MX-S2 and the CD player is not reading CDs. I'm hoping its just a dirty lens.

Thanks,
David