Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default solder won't come out of hole

Ian Field wrote:

"Jamie" wrote in message ...

Ian Field wrote:

"Jamie" wrote in message ...

Chas wrote:

"Jamie" t wrote in
message ...

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

For the past couple of hours I've been trying to get the solder out
of a hole. It's a mobo cap, and the other hole sucked right out.
It's like an obstruction. The solder melts with difficulty, but
even then I can't get a dental pick as deep as in the other hole.
The cap pulled out easily on both leads.

If you have some indium base solder or old leaded solder, reflow it
with that, then suck it out..
Also, I've used my hot air wand to clear the holes.

Jamie

Carefully drill the solder out with a PCB drill slightly smaller than
the hole.

you must be careful to not remove the vias conductor when doing so.

Jamie

***Easier said than done!

I have a tip I made for my Hot air wand that has a hypodermic needle on
it. I heat it up and hit the air switch and push it through the hole.

Jamie..

***Many years ago I made an SMD harvesting machine out of a portable LPG
heater and an old fridge compressor.

***The copper pipe was coiled and stuffed behind the guard on the
heater, right in front of the burners. A carburetor jet was peened into
the end of the copper pipe to produce a fierce jet of very hot air.

***A cardboard box on its side opposite the nozzle caught most of the
low flying SMDs, but I had to abandon it because it was just too hot
sitting so close to the heater.

When smt first started coming out, many of them were reusable and I had
and old converted reflow toaster oven. Any boards I was trying to
salvage smt parts on, I would switch on only the bottom heater to high
and stick the board in there with a catch tray. Just keep tapping on
the board top side with a metal wand so not to burn my fingers. This
would knock off the components into the tray below and I could sort out
the ones I wanted to keep.

I harvest lots of smt parts doing that but after some time when money
wasn't so tight, I then started to buy more new parts and found that
easier. I still have a converted reflow oven I use when I do hand
batches of small items.

Jamie

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I fully agree that adding leaded solder (and using a touch of liquid flux)
will make removal much easier.

I often carefully use a round toothpick during the heat application to clear
a blocked hole when I don't feel like setting up the desoldering station.

I consider the RoHS regulations pointless for repairs, as repairs aren't
manufacturing. If a tiny amount of lead would ever end up being an issue
during recycling, then it's the recycler's problem (to me, same as some food
left in a jar or the label on a recycled container).

If the disposal of the same tiny amount of lead would be an environmental
problem, then the waste company should be sending the item to a recycler
instead of dumping it in a pit.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message

For the past couple of hours I've been trying to get the solder out of a
hole. It's a mobo cap, and the other hole sucked right out. It's like an
obstruction. The solder melts with difficulty, but even then I can't get
a dental pick as deep as in the other hole. The cap pulled out easily on
both leads.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Wild_Bill" wrote in message

I fully agree that adding leaded solder (and using a touch of liquid flux)
will make removal much easier.

I often carefully use a round toothpick during the heat application to clear
a blocked hole when I don't feel like setting up the desoldering station.

I consider the RoHS regulations pointless for repairs, as repairs aren't
manufacturing. If a tiny amount of lead would ever end up being an issue
during recycling,

***In the UK we still have miles of Roman lead water pipes buried in the
ground, and many more miles of the stuff that wasn't dug up in the 60's due
to misplaced planning documents. We also have plenty of roofs made of lead
sheet that are lashed by rain and hail that runs down into the groundwater -
although metal thieves nicking the lead off roofs are taking care of that.

***Lead was mined out of the ground in the first place - whoever thought up
that paragraph in the directive was clearly dropped on their head many times
when they were little!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 18:11:52 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .

On Wed, 18 Jul 2012 14:44:45 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

***Hot air (electric paint stripper) gun and a stiff paintbush - perfect
for
harvesting SMD parts.

Yep, but I don't do it that way. With SMD, the problem is identifying
the parts after they've been removed. I usually just want the active
components anyway.

***One thing I particularly go after is the larger multilayer SMD chip
capacitors, surprisingly large values in surprisingly small package. Also
the larger discrete semiconductors, the TO251/252 fit less veroboard space
than a TO92.

Ian, lose the micro**** live garbage and use a real news reader. It is
similar to wearing appropriate clothes.

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

***Hot air (electric paint stripper) gun and a stiff paintbush - perfect
for
harvesting SMD parts.

Yep, but I don't do it that way. With SMD, the problem is identifying
the parts after they've been removed. I usually just want the active
components anyway.

***One thing I particularly go after is the larger multilayer SMD chip
capacitors, surprisingly large values in surprisingly small package. Also
the larger discrete semiconductors, the TO251/252 fit less veroboard space
than a TO92.

Ian, lose the micro**** live garbage and use a real news reader. It is
similar to wearing appropriate clothes.

***I've just installed Xananews which has halted with "pipeline out of
sequence" error and refuses to load any messages in the group I've
subscribed so far.

***Also installed Gravity - loads messages and indents correctly but the UI
is an utter shambles!!!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Hey, Ian, what's with the three asterisks? It makes you look like an
Allison and a half. (*)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) Phil A. uses two asterisks.
--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Hobbs" wrote in message ...

wrote:

[...]

### You have trouble reading!!!?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ian Field" wrote in
:

wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

XNews works well,and it's free. it's also simple,ideal for me!

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

### that's what I always use for multipart binaries, but I can't get along
with the UI for posting on text only groups.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 22:40:01 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Ian, lose the micro**** live garbage and use a real news reader. It
is similar to wearing appropriate clothes.

***I've just installed Xananews which has halted with "pipeline out of
sequence" error and refuses to load any messages in the group I've
subscribed so far.

***Also installed Gravity - loads messages and indents correctly but
the UI is an utter shambles!!!

XNews works well,and it's free. it's also simple,ideal for me!

### that's what I always use for multipart binaries, but I can't get along
with the UI for posting on text only groups.

Microsloth removed prefixing quoted messages with " " in Windoze Live
Mail 15 last year. You can install earlier versions (WLM 2009, or WLM
2011) and you'll have proper quoting. This explains the situation:
http://www.w7forums.com/windows-live-mail-11-reply-t10514.html
with some additional notes on quoting in Outlook Express.

I would strongly recommend finding an alternative newsreader as your
creative formatting is difficult to read, and makes little sense as
you should be marking the quotes, not your added comments. I
recommend Forte Agent 7 which does cost $29, but in my never humble
opinion is worth it. 30 day demo to try it.
http://www.forteinc.com

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

snip

XNews works well,and it's free. it's also simple,ideal for me!

### that's what I always use for multipart binaries, but I can't get
along with the UI for posting on text only groups.

Anothe vote for Xnews. It has a few minor quirks, but it's small & very
fast.

Doug White
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

A cousin of mine lost her first child to lead *paint* poisoning in the 1960s
(partly due to improper medical attention), but that infant would not have
been injesting circuit board or plumbing parts.

Anti-lead regulations are just one more BOHICA, by my estimation.

The paint manufacturers came to the rescue with latex paint, which contained
mercury in the early years.. maybe some of it still does.

--
Cheers,
WB

"Ian Field" wrote in message

***In the UK we still have miles of Roman lead water pipes buried in the
ground, and many more miles of the stuff that wasn't dug up in the 60's
due to misplaced planning documents. We also have plenty of roofs made of
lead sheet that are lashed by rain and hail that runs down into the
groundwater - although metal thieves nicking the lead off roofs are taking
care of that.

***Lead was mined out of the ground in the first place - whoever thought
up that paragraph in the directive was clearly dropped on their head many
times when they were little!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..

snip

XNews works well,and it's free. it's also simple,ideal for me!

### that's what I always use for multipart binaries, but I can't get
along with the UI for posting on text only groups.

Anothe vote for Xnews. It has a few minor quirks, but it's small & very
fast.

Doug White

### Another one with basic reading problems - what part of "I can't get
along with the UI for posting on text only groups" do you not understand?!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

This is with Mozilla Thunderbird - any better?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ian Field" wrote in message

***In the UK we still have miles of Roman lead water pipes buried in the
ground, and many more miles of the stuff that wasn't dug up in the 60's
due to misplaced planning documents. We also have plenty of roofs made of
lead sheet that are lashed by rain and hail that runs down into the
groundwater - although metal thieves nicking the lead off roofs are taking
care of that.

***Lead was mined out of the ground in the first place - whoever thought
up that paragraph in the directive was clearly dropped on their head many
times when they were little!

###While I remain against RoHS-Pb-free, I agree with the ban on lead in
paint. The removal of lead from petrol was also a pretty good idea - annual
petrochem procurement of lead for TEL anti-detonation additive was in the
hundreds of thousands of tons! - This ended up floating about in the
atmosphere for us to breath along with all the other exhaust particulates.
It also precipitated with rain onto agriculture and contaminated livestock.

The Brussels (braindead) suits just didn't understand the information put in
front of them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:
On 22/07/2012 22:07, Phil Hobbs wrote:

Hey, Ian, what's with the three asterisks? It makes you look like
an Allison and a half. (*)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) Phil A. uses two asterisks.

This is with Mozilla Thunderbird - any better?

Doesn't it look better to you?

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Both quite readable, thanks. Just tweaking you a bit for the rather
self-dramatizing look of setting off your pearls of wisdom with three
splats.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:
On 22/07/2012 22:07, Phil Hobbs wrote:

Hey, Ian, what's with the three asterisks? It makes you look like
an Allison and a half. (*)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) Phil A. uses two asterisks.

This is with Mozilla Thunderbird - any better?

Doesn't it look better to you?

### Pity the UI is F**king horrible!
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

The paint manufacturers came to the rescue with latex
paint, which contained mercury in the early years...
Maybe some of it still does.

Mercury compounds, actually, which were present to suppress mildew and other
forms of attack by micro-organisms.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

This is with Mozilla Thunderbird - any better?

Doesn't it look better to you?

### Pity the UI is F**king horrible!

Well you can get the source code and change it. I never looked at MS
Live****, but I doubt it has a good UI especially for usenet.

zero, and remove the last word.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ian Field" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..

snip

XNews works well,and it's free. it's also simple,ideal for me!

### that's what I always use for multipart binaries, but I can't get
along with the UI for posting on text only groups.

Anothe vote for Xnews. It has a few minor quirks, but it's small &
very fast.

Doug White

### Another one with basic reading problems - what part of "I can't
get along with the UI for posting on text only groups" do you not
understand?!

I don't understand HOW you "don't get along with the UI".
I don't like complex SW that takes a long time to learn,and Xnews is SO
easy to use. If -I- can do it.... :-)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

This is with Mozilla Thunderbird - any better?

Doesn't it look better to you?

### Pity the UI is F**king horrible!

Well you can get the source code and change it. I never looked at MS
Live****, but I doubt it has a good UI especially for usenet.

### WLM has a similar UI to OE - which is what I'm used to.

###I've also tried installing Xananews - the UI looks like it might be
tolerable but I get "pipeline out of sequence" error when I try to get
message body.

### Apparently "upgrading" to an older version of WLM can fix quoted text
indentation - but I've yet to find a copy.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

This is with Mozilla Thunderbird - any better?

Yes, much better.

### Pity about the mangles UI though!

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Jim Yanik" wrote in message
4...

"Ian Field" wrote in
:

"Doug White" wrote in message
. ..

snip

XNews works well,and it's free. it's also simple,ideal for me!

### that's what I always use for multipart binaries, but I can't get
along with the UI for posting on text only groups.

Anothe vote for Xnews. It has a few minor quirks, but it's small &
very fast.

Doug White

### Another one with basic reading problems - what part of "I can't
get along with the UI for posting on text only groups" do you not
understand?!

I don't understand HOW you "don't get along with the UI".
I don't like complex SW that takes a long time to learn,and Xnews is SO
easy to use. If -I- can do it.... :-)

### It might actually not seem so bad after the succession of mangled
trainwrecks I've seen since trying to find an alternative to WLM.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 23 Jul 2012 21:06:53 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

### Pity about the mangles UI though!

What type or style of user interface do you prefer?
An example of a program that does it correctly will suffice.
My theory is that users tends to favor whatever they
learned first. Hopefully, you don't want something
that looks like a teletype machine output.

Did you at least look at Forte Agent?

# 831-336-2558
# http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

### Pity about the mangles UI though!

What type or style of user interface do you prefer?
An example of a program that does it correctly will suffice.
My theory is that users tends to favor whatever they
learned first. Hopefully, you don't want something
that looks like a teletype machine output.

Did you at least look at Forte Agent?

Found a standalone install of WLM2009.

There's top menus missing compared to the latest version, but last time I
posted with it the indenting was OK.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 24 Jul 2012 14:50:08 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Found a standalone install of WLM2009.

Befo

After:

Yeah, that looks like the right version.

There's top menus missing compared to the latest version, but last time I
posted with it the indenting was OK.

Indents and quotes are now fine and your messages are readable.
Congrats.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

Found a standalone install of WLM2009.

Befo

After:

Yeah, that looks like the right version.

There's top menus missing compared to the latest version, but last time I
posted with it the indenting was OK.

Indents and quotes are now fine and your messages are readable.
Congrats.

Just in case it helps anyone else, this is where I found the standalone
WLM2009 installer:

http://www.geekonthepc.com/2010/10/1...als-2009-back/

There is a WLM2009 online installer on Filehippo, and the install files are
still accessible on the M$ server (for now!).

Live Essentials 2011 must be completely uninstalled first or it will report
there's a newer version installed and refuse to proceed.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 21:44:15 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Well at least you are trying. Personally i use agent and it is about the
best i have tried. And i have tried a lot, that was some time ago now.

?-)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"josephkk" wrote in message
On Sun, 22 Jul 2012 21:44:15 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Found a standalone installer for Live Essentials 2009 in which live mail
indents correctly.

Here's the link in case it helps anyone else:

http://www.geekonthepc.com/2010/10/1...als-2009-back/

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:
On 22/07/2012 22:07, Phil Hobbs wrote:

Hey, Ian, what's with the three asterisks? It makes you look like
an Allison and a half. (*)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) Phil A. uses two asterisks.

This is with Mozilla Thunderbird - any better?

Doesn't it look better to you?

### Pity the UI is F**king horrible!

Not sure about your idea of UI usability but thunderbird sure beats the
pants off of the google web interfarce (not difficult to do).

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

This is with Mozilla Thunderbird - any better?

Doesn't it look better to you?

### Pity the UI is F**king horrible!

Well you can get the source code and change it. I never looked at MS
Live****, but I doubt it has a good UI especially for usenet.

### WLM has a similar UI to OE - which is what I'm used to.

###I've also tried installing Xananews - the UI looks like it might be
tolerable but I get "pipeline out of sequence" error when I try to get
message body.

### Apparently "upgrading" to an older version of WLM can fix quoted text
indentation - but I've yet to find a copy.

Plus you will be doomed to fighting the updater forever. Get a real news
reader. It is a different interface, M$ f***d that up.

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 25 Jul 2012 14:10:31 +0100, "Ian Field"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

m...

wrote:

[...]

Megasnot didn't invent usenet, they think they have a vested interest in
destroying it. A proper news reader does have a different kind of
interface, it must as the demesnes predates M$.

?-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Jamie t wrote in message
N_Cook wrote:

Jamie t wrote in

message

Ian Field wrote:

"Jamie" wrote in message ...

Chas wrote:

"Jamie" t wrote in
message ...

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

[...]

What is that like with PbF ?. Hypos use stainless steel and I find

stainless
steel is a reasonable identifier of PbF as it determinedly sticks to
stainless steel, does the capilliary bore of the needle then totally

block
with solder?

you have your air pump when when doing so. No, it does not stick to the
needles I use. In fact, I can just shake it and the solder will fall off.

Jamie

I thought the capilliary force might take the molten solder up the tube ,
even just a surface coating inside would mount up each time , until full
clog. So I take it that is not the case.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:

This is with Mozilla Thunderbird - any better?

Doesn't it look better to you?

### Pity the UI is F**king horrible!

Well you can get the source code and change it. I never looked at MS
Live****, but I doubt it has a good UI especially for usenet.

### WLM has a similar UI to OE - which is what I'm used to.

###I've also tried installing Xananews - the UI looks like it might be
tolerable but I get "pipeline out of sequence" error when I try to get
message body.

### Apparently "upgrading" to an older version of WLM can fix quoted text
indentation - but I've yet to find a copy.

Plus you will be doomed to fighting the updater forever. Get a real news
reader. It is a different interface, M$ f***d that up.

Unless (and probably if) I want to pay for a "real" news reader - all the
one's I've found the UI was a mangled train wreck!!!!!

In WLM2009, the news UI is actually faulty - but compared to the 4 or 5
readers I tried, its just about tolerable.

Had I not found WLM2009 - I would have carried on using WLM2011 and just
ignored the howls of protest.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Ian Field wrote:
On 22/07/2012 22:07, Phil Hobbs wrote:

Hey, Ian, what's with the three asterisks? It makes you look like
an Allison and a half. (*)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

(*) Phil A. uses two asterisks.

This is with Mozilla Thunderbird - any better?

Doesn't it look better to you?

### Pity the UI is F**king horrible!

Not sure about your idea of UI usability but thunderbird sure beats the
pants off of the google web interfarce (not difficult to do).

So does Netscape 4.8
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

josephkk wrote:

Megasnot didn't invent usenet, they think they have a vested interest in
destroying it. A proper news reader does have a different kind of
interface, it must as the demesnes predates M$.

It's another case of coders writing for something they don't use.
They are all hat & no horse. ;-)