Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default External laptop hinge ?

If epoxy and expanded aluminium reinforcement fails to repair cracked
duralinium - anyone know of a type of compound ? hinge that can be glued
externally as a reinforcement. Obviously appearance is of no object , just
to reinforce and ensure the connection ribbon is not broken.
Obviously the pivot posistion has to to remain in the same line ,so this
external hinge action has to be double-action or cantilever or something.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 10 Jul 2012 14:11:45 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

If epoxy and expanded aluminium reinforcement fails to repair cracked
duralinium -

Duraluminum
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duralumin
I doubt that the hinges are made of Duralumin alloy. Most of them are
cheap zinc, which is why they crack and deform so easily.
http://www.b2bhinges.com/hinge/notebook.htm

anyone know of a type of compound ? hinge that can be glued
externally as a reinforcement.

If you would kindly disclose the maker and model of your laptop, it
might be possible to search eBay for a replacement hinge.

I've had zero luck gluing hinges. The forces involved are just too
high. I had one old Thinkpad, that I reinforced with sheet aluminum
and epoxy. However, the underlying plastic flexed sufficiently to
crack the epoxy. The hinge usually breaks through the mounting holes,
making repair problematic.

One method that worked was to tack the broken pieces together with
SuperGlue. I then cut a slot along the length of the hinge with a
Dremel cutoff grinding tool. Into the slot, I pounded a stiff piece
of hard steel and covered it with epoxy. Don't use a flexible nail.
That's on an old Thinkpad laptop I use for radio programming and has
held together for many years.

Obviously appearance is of no object , just
to reinforce and ensure the connection ribbon is not broken.

Rule of thumb. If it looks bad, it will probably work bad.
http://failblog.cheezburger.com/thereifixedit

Obviously the pivot posistion has to to remain in the same line ,so this
external hinge action has to be double-action or cantilever or something.

It's going to be rather difficult to maintain the center line unless
you replace both hinges. Even so, an externally mounted hinge will
have a different radius of rotation, and thus require a longer
connecting cable. I don't think that's going to work. Just replace
the hinge(s) and be done with it.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Now, I'm confused about the question.
If you're trying to fix a broken cast metal hinge, here's how I do it.
Remove the hinge and take it apart. You don't wanna damage the parts
that rotate.

Make a jig that holds the two broken parts in alignment
and supports it from underneath so it doesn't sag when you heat it.

Use a low temperature torch. Propane is too hot. Use one of the
ones with a butane lighter inside.

You just heat the joint and poke at it with a paper clip.
When it melts, you stir it a little to close the joint.
A little welding rod helps too, but you gotta hammer it really thin
so it melts instantly.
I use Welco 52, but it's sold at RV shows as "miracle rod"
or aluminum solder...at a MUCH higher price.

Be very careful. The temperature at which this works is about
a degree cooler than the temperature that makes a big puddle out
of the whole thing.

If you put on too much welding rod, just grind it back to shape.
It's pretty easy about the third time you do it.

Are we having fun yet?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

I will try and remember your brazing/welding techique for broken lumpy parts
such as hinges.
By Duralinium I meant the casing of the laptop. The hinges themselves are
not broken but the casing for the display section is fully split/loose in
the area of one hinge and susbstantially cracked around the other hinge.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

[...]

Many laptops have a metal strip up each side of the display that's connected
to the hinge. Those don't need any plastic to make it work.
Might try emulating that.