Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ron Ron is offline

Default Pop Goes the Wha--?

I bought a 90 watt power pack/battery charger for my Dell laptop and
less than 3 months later whenever I plug it in, something quietly goes
"pop!" Probably a cap inside? I think the unit still works, but it
makes me nervous to use it. I doubt it's fixable in that almost solid
plastic case, but is it really safe to continue using or should I
ditch it and buy a new one? Opinions anyone?

Ron

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It goes without saying that you should immediately back up whatever you
can't afford to lose. It's highly unlikely -- but not impossible -- that a
failure could apply 120V AC to the computer's power input.

"I fain would not die -- 'pop!'" (William S Gilbert, "Ruddigore")

I'd report this to Dell -- I assume this is a Dell product, and not some
3rd-party device from an unknown manufacturer? -- and insist it be replaced.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 9/07/2012 7:11 PM, Ron wrote:
I bought a 90 watt power pack/battery charger for my Dell laptop and
less than 3 months later whenever I plug it in, something quietly goes
"pop!" Probably a cap inside? I think the unit still works, but it
makes me nervous to use it. I doubt it's fixable in that almost solid
plastic case, but is it really safe to continue using or should I
ditch it and buy a new one? Opinions anyone?

Ron

I wouldn't be using any electric appliance that makes unexpected popping
noises. If you're lucky it might only burn your house down, and not take
you with it.

Sylvia.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 7/9/2012 2:11 AM, Ron wrote:
I bought a 90 watt power pack/battery charger for my Dell laptop and
less than 3 months later whenever I plug it in, something quietly goes
"pop!" Probably a cap inside? I think the unit still works, but it
makes me nervous to use it. I doubt it's fixable in that almost solid
plastic case, but is it really safe to continue using or should I
ditch it and buy a new one? Opinions anyone?

Ron

Difficult to say from the vague description.
Assume you mean when you plug it into the AC mains?
I've got all sorts of electrical stuff that goes "pop" when you plug it in.
Caps are somewhat piezoelectric. Magnetic stuff can cause mechanical
shifts. There's lots of peak current when you plug it in.
There's also an arc at the connector. If you plug it into the
adapter and then into the mains, does it still pop?
Why it just started, who knows.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ron" wrote in message
I bought a 90 watt power pack/battery charger for my Dell laptop and
less than 3 months later whenever I plug it in, something quietly goes
"pop!" Probably a cap inside? I think the unit still works, but it
makes me nervous to use it. I doubt it's fixable in that almost solid
plastic case, but is it really safe to continue using or should I
ditch it and buy a new one? Opinions anyone?

Ron

I think that's quite common, actually.
I've certainly heard it quite a few times from SMPS's.

Gareth.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Sylvia Else wrote:

(...)

I wouldn't be using any electric appliance that makes unexpected popping
noises. If you're lucky it might only burn your house down, and not take
you with it.

-With the exception of the refrigerator of course.
My current one will very occasionally emit a 'pop' which the
manufacturer says is normal 'inside wall flexing'.

Still it is silent compared to my previous fridge that
was the most 'spontaneously musical' appliance I've ever
owned, with all kinds of creaks, rattles, buzzes and an
occasional 'pop' sound that approached a 'bang!' in volume.

May it rust in peace.

--Winston
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Mon, 9 Jul 2012 02:11:30 -0700 (PDT), Ron
wrote:

I bought a 90 watt power pack/battery charger for my Dell laptop and
less than 3 months later whenever I plug it in, something quietly goes
"pop!" Probably a cap inside? I think the unit still works, but it
makes me nervous to use it.

Does this mystery charger have a model number?

It's not going to explode or anything like that. Most likely, if
there is something wrong inside, it will simply stop working, usually
at the least opportune time.

Are you SURE that it didn't go pop for the first 3 months? If so,
something has probably broken loose inside the charger. If the pop
sounds like an electrical arc, it's possible that the high voltage
section is drawing an arc on startup. Some like an annular ring
around the switcher xformer leads on the PCB or one of the hi-v
capacitors might do that. Internal arcing inside the xformer is
another.

I doubt it's fixable in that almost solid
plastic case, but is it really safe to continue using or should I
ditch it and buy a new one? Opinions anyone?

If it's been only 3 months since you bought it (from Dell?) it should
still be under warranty. Rather than worry about it, try to get it
exchanged under warranty.

It is possible to open the case, but it's not easy. What you're
likely to find is a solid block of electronics, magnetics, heat sinks,
and wires, all encrusted in difficult to remove silicon rubber. Unless
you've had some experience dealing with switchers, I would not attempt
to repair it. (Hint: Use an isolation transformer).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 9, 3:11*am, Ron wrote:
I bought a 90 watt power pack/battery charger for my Dell laptop and
less than 3 months later whenever I plug it in, something quietly goes
"pop!" Probably a cap inside? I think the unit still works, but it
makes me nervous to use it. I doubt it's fixable in that almost solid
plastic case, but is it really safe to continue using or should I
ditch it and buy a new one? Opinions anyone?

Ron

TAKE IT BACK WHERE YOU BOUGHT IT!!!!! This isn't rocket science.