Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default lawnmower motor magnet broken

After investigating a scraping noise, I found about 10% of one of the 2
halves of the magnet broken off. Removed and cleaned it up and it runs ok
except there seems to be a little vibration. I assume the field is not
balanced? What kind of glue/epoxy would work to reattach the magnet?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 6 Jul 2012 05:01:31 +0000 (UTC), mark
wrote:

After investigating a scraping noise, I found about 10% of one of the 2
halves of the magnet broken off. Removed and cleaned it up and it runs ok
except there seems to be a little vibration. I assume the field is not
balanced? What kind of glue/epoxy would work to reattach the magnet?

http://www.kjmagnetics.com/blog.asp?p=sticky-business-how-to-glue-neodymum-magnets
I had a similar failure on a PM motor. The problem was that I could
not tolerate much of a gap on the glue line. So, I cleaned both sides
of the break with a brass wire brush and alcohol to be sure there was
no loose debris. I used high strength epoxy and clamped both halves
under as much pressure as possible using two pieces of wood and some
glue clamps. Despite all this, I still had to sandpaper the PM motor
ends to recover my clearances. 4 years later, it's still running.

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jul 5, 10:01*pm, mark wrote:
After investigating a scraping noise, I found about 10% of one of the 2
halves of the magnet broken off. Removed and cleaned it up and it runs ok
except there seems to be a little vibration. I assume the field is not
balanced? What kind of glue/epoxy would work to reattach the magnet?

Maybe you are confusing cause and effect. Perhaps the vibration caused
the magnet breakage.

But to answer your question: Loctite 334 Structural Adhesive, High
Performance, is designed as a magnet adhesive. But you probably will
have gaps as you glue the broken pieces back in place, so use a good,
non-instant epoxy. But recall that like poles repel each other, so the
piece you replace will want to jump out. You will have to fixture it
properly to keep it in place.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Used Araldite and made a wooden dowel to clamp it - works great!

Thanks

Lawnmower engine clutch broken freepo UK diy 10 May 25th 10 07:13 PM
Broken motor bush. Arthur 51 UK diy 9 July 6th 08 05:55 PM
Homemade motor from tin-can, nail, and magnet wire [email protected] Electronics Repair 21 September 13th 05 11:09 PM
Replacing motor oil in your lawnmower? Bill Home Ownership 6 April 25th 05 09:21 PM