Old June 8th 12, 01:25 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default JVC HR-S9600U VHS VCR won't play/wind

On Friday, June 8, 2012 6:43:13 AM UTC-4, William Sommerwerck wrote:
This is an almost-beltless transport (at least, as seen
from the top). The belt on the loading motor (?) seems
to slip when it's time for the capstan to start moving,
but moves at other times.

That is very likely due to the fact that it's stretched and
slick. That particular operation of the transport demands
the highest torque and therefore that's where it slips.
You can try cleaning the slick off with 99.0% isopropyl
or triclor (if you still have any).

I cleaned it yesterday, but there was no apparent change.

Sometimes giving whatever the belt is slipping on a little
push along when it starts to slip will definitely confirm this
diagnosis. Try to find a new belt just slightly smaller, (but
same thickness) than the one presently on the machine to
account for the increase in diameter. PRB used to be a good
supplier of belts. Don't know if they're still around.

I plan to search later today. If the belt is just a few bucks, why not give
it a shot?

I Googled PRB, but nothing appropriate came up.

Those were good machines. It would be a shame to let it go
for a relatively simple problem.

Agreed.

Belts should still be available. I can look up the size later (I don't have the reference with me at the moment.) MCM Electronics carries belts as one example. If the capstan belt is slipping, that could account for the problem. It may be the belt, or there are other problems like the power supply not providing power to the capstan motor.

Where are you located? I have belts in stock and can send you one in the mail.

Dan

Old June 8th 12, 01:39 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 8, 7:25*am, wrote:
[...]

I also found this:
http://russellind.com/client/download/prb_line.pdf

Lenny
Old June 8th 12, 02:23 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

I also found this:
http://russellind.com/client/download/prb_line.pdf

Now I know what PRB is!

Old June 8th 12, 02:26 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Belts should still be available.

They are. (It was used in dozens of JVC VCRs.) It appears to be an
LP30005-003A.

MCM Electronics carries belts, as one example.

This one doesn't show up. JVC sells it on Amazon, but the $5.50 shipping
cost is ridiculous. Encompass had it, too, but with an even higher shipping
cost.

If the capstan belt is slipping, that could account for the
problem.

It doesn't appear to be slipping. When I turn the capstan by hand, the
"idler gear" (that sends power to the hubs) moves away from the rewind hub.
(I'm assuming there's a belt connection.)

To reiterate, the loading belt does not appear to be moving when the point
is reached where the capstan should begin turning.

There are other problems like the power supply not
providing power to the capstan motor.

I'm willing to give the loading belt a shot first.

Where are you located? I have belts in stock
and can send you one in the mail.

Thank you! Please let me know the total cost.

I'm in Renton, WA. I'll send my address in a separate e-mail.

Old June 8th 12, 07:59 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

Periodically, it needs both the mode switch and the leaf switch
that detects the cassette write protect knockout De-Oxed.

The write-protect switch is working, because the unit auto-ejected a
cassette with the tab removed, while accepting one with its tab intact.

I don't know where the mode switch is, and I'm trying to postpone removing
the transport board.

The unit is a remarkable piece of "less is more", especially considering its
plethora of features, prominently splashed across the front panel.

Old June 9th 12, 02:52 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jun 8, 1:59*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
Periodically, it needs both the mode switch and the leaf switch
that detects the cassette write protect knockout De-Oxed.

The write-protect switch is working, because the unit auto-ejected a
cassette with the tab removed, while accepting one with its tab intact.

I don't know where the mode switch is, and I'm trying to postpone removing
the transport board.

The unit is a remarkable piece of "less is more", especially considering its
plethora of features, prominently splashed across the front panel.

Another source of belts, well sort of, are O rings. Several years ago
I picked up a large box of different size unused ones from a
transmission shop. Apparently many shops, when they do a "rebuild"
don't bother to rebuild anything more than they have to, and hence the
spare parts. They are all different thicknesses, and lengths and have
come in really handy. Lenny
Old June 9th 12, 04:16 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I don't know where the mode switch is, and I'm trying to postpone
removing the transport board.

Another source of belts, well sort of, are O rings. Several years
ago I picked up a large box of different size unused ones from a
transmission shop. Apparently many shops, when they do a "rebuild"
don't bother to rebuild anything more than they have to, and hence the
spare parts. They are all different thicknesses and lengths, and have
come in really handy.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm afraid I don't know anyone in the auto-repair
business.

Another question...

I just tried to unseat the transport board (so I could examine its
"boughtum"). I removed the bracket behind the loading slot, then took out
the two large screws at the back of the board. I expected the board to lift
up and out -- but it didn't. (If this were a "junker", I'd rip into it. But
it isn't, and I won't.)

What am I missing?

PS: I was flabbergasted to see what this and other late-model JVC VHS VCRs
go for on eBay -- two and three times their original price. This is perhaps
not surprising, as the playback quality of this model is amazingly good (for
VHS). The TBC and other processing help quite a bit.

Old May 22nd 16, 06:53 PM posted to sci.electronics.repair

If the tape goes in properly but does not play due to non-spinning, how can it be fixed? This is what's been going on with my 2 vcr's. At first the tapes played, but then i tried to record and after a few seconds it stopped. Now it does not play it just says play but then nothing happens and a few seconds later it says stop.

Wind not good for wind farms... Andrew Gabriel UK diy 110 December 16th 11 04:36 PM
That put the wind up him... John Rumm UK diy 28 August 27th 11 11:47 PM
Wind up, not a wind up Broadback UK diy 1 February 13th 09 03:04 AM
Wind fencing SteveB Metalworking 7 March 30th 08 06:53 AM
This bloody wind !!!! Kaiser Sose UK diy 10 January 20th 07 02:11 PM