Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Samsung P5-50C96HD Plasma TV

First large "flat" TV I ever look at and its a plasma one. Dust never
cleaned off the rear grills and a visibly blown cap in the ps. Anything to
be aware of, concerning any likely stored voltages/ safe discharge/
reconnecting headers as there are loads of 275V rated caps on the other
boards, before/after removing the ps .
Other than never hold / lean against the front panel, and no bending of my
back for lifting /carrying, any other service advice specific to large
panel TVs?
Cycles continuously through coming on and relay clicking off , starting up
again

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

PS-50C96HD that should be

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Tue, 22 May 2012 12:14:09 +0100, "N_Cook"
wrote:

First large "flat" TV I ever look at and its a plasma one. Dust never
cleaned off the rear grills and a visibly blown cap in the ps. Anything to
be aware of, concerning any likely stored voltages/ safe discharge/
reconnecting headers as there are loads of 275V rated caps on the other
boards, before/after removing the ps .
Other than never hold / lean against the front panel, and no bending of my
back for lifting /carrying, any other service advice specific to large
panel TVs?
Cycles continuously through coming on and relay clicking off , starting up
again

That's a European model, and I've not been able to find much
information on it. The service manual is available on
elektrotanya.com. Note: On the second page wait for the 'Get Manual'
message to appear and click on it. The rest of the page is
advertizing.

The usual advice for instances of bulging caps is to replace them, and
to replace all others of the same capacity / voltage / series.
Samsung often uses SamWha caps; sometimes entire prodution lots of a
particular voltage / capacity are bad. All replacement caps must be
low ESR caps such as Panasonic FR or FM series.

There is little danger of high voltage once the power cord is
unplugged - the SMPS will drain the mains filter caps long before you
get the back off. Do work cautiously when connected to AC power. It
is possible to experience over 400 volts by touching the wrong points.

Plasma TVs often suffer a failure of the sustain board / buffers.
This results in an overload of the power supply, which promptly shuts
down. The usual method of diagnosing this problem is to disconnect
the cable running from the power supply to each sustain. If the set
stays on (but no picture, obviously) when a particular sustain is
disconnected, that sustain is most likely bad.

Advice on a more timely basis is available at www.badcaps.net/forum.
I note that there is already a thread on this set.

PlainBill
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 22/05/2012 12:14, N_Cook wrote:
First large "flat" TV I ever look at and its a plasma one. Dust never
cleaned off the rear grills and a visibly blown cap in the ps. Anything to
be aware of, concerning any likely stored voltages/ safe discharge/
reconnecting headers as there are loads of 275V rated caps on the other
boards, before/after removing the ps .
Other than never hold / lean against the front panel, and no bending of my
back for lifting /carrying, any other service advice specific to large
panel TVs?
Cycles continuously through coming on and relay clicking off , starting up
again

Out of interest, was it manufactured some time in 2007?

I ask because I've just replaced eight out of the nine electrolytics on
the psu board of a Syncmaster 2232bw flat panel monitor that was
manufactured October 2007. All swelling and showing signs of leakage.

I have a second 2232bw in the bedroom that I'm going to change them all
too as a matter of course. CapXon is the make of the caps.

Les.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Les Matthew wrote in message
[...]

Dates of 2007 around it. 2 swollen/burst + one poor ESR all 105 deg C ,Low
V, replaced, not had time to power up again. At least there is plenty of
space in these sort of things for different footprint or taller caps as I
like to replace with next higher voltage.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

All replaced 3 were Samwha WB , brown and silver , brown maybe slightly
plum colour

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

a troubling thing . When first looking at this, one steel screw, for holding
ps pcb to a standoff missing. Not found rolling around anywhere and a number
of unobservable hiding places it could be inside, or never placed
originally?. As its not turned up removing and transporting this 40 Kg lump
its either never been there or well stuck in its hiding place , so I will
leave undisturbed

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Came to fit ps back in and although an extra reinforcement ground solder tag
, no pillar under , so no missing fixing screw, as no chassis pillar
mounting point. Working order again