Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

Default Maytag dishwasher suddenly stopped working

On Apr 30, 4:38*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2012 06:54:01 -0700 (PDT), Amanda Ripanykhazova

wrote:
On Apr 27, 1:52*am, Tony Hwang wrote:
Amanda Ripanykhazova wrote:
MDB9601 suddenly stopped working, and instead started humming loudly..
When I open the door, a loud grinding noise can be heard (from where i
assume the pump is at the bottom of the unit) stopping and grinding
slowly to a halt.

All on-line diagnostics seem to indicate that something is caught in
the impeller somewhere but all of them report that their units fill
and then start humming *when something is caught in the impeller.
Here, * if there is something jammed into the impeller, where is the
grinding sound coming from to grind to a halt?

Does anyone know anything about these units and have any idea whether
this is something caught in the impeller preventing the water filling
or something stopping the water filling preventing the unit working
with no water input? (Nothing has operated to prevent the water coming
in such as a water shut-off, and the water supply is shared with the
washing machine which still works)

Hmmm,
Water inlet solenoid?

Firstly, the float isnt stuck 'cos when I opened the door, that was
the first thing I could see so I THINK I checked it. And with no water
coming in, the water input valve was the first thing I thought of,
especially as there are a few places on line where this is advised.

My question is whether this is the whole problem and the grinding
sound is just a dry pump winding down when it has been started
(someone has pressed the start button, causing the hum?) with no water
coming in?

Or does some one know whether there are any electric sensors which
stop water coming into this unit with (for example) a blown pump or
some other major problem? *The pump doesnt look like an insuperable
problem but I dont know what other technology is built into this unit
and Maytag doesnt have any technical support AND I havent made any
progress with finding out where the factory is to ask this question

Thanks for the help guys!

Don't write off this suggestion. *I had a similar problem with a
dishwasher years ago. *The 'grinding sound' could be caused by a
defective water inlet solenoid. *Instead of opening properly, it just
buzzed.

And don't disregard the possibility of a defective water level switch.
The float switch is in series with the fill valve.

Googling 'MDB9601 *parts' brings up a wealth of information, including
the wiring diagram and assembly drawing of the main pump area. * This
model has two pumps - *the main wash pump which has a food grinder in
it's shaft (a possible source of the noise), as well as the drain
pump.

PlainBill

BTW Did you manage to get the valve changed without taking the whole
dishwasher out and turning it on its side? (I seem to remember there
was a problem installing this dishwasher but I cant remember what it
was. I also remember wondering while I was watching it why it wasnt
just the five minute install job which it was supposed to be!)
Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

I've never had to replace the fill valve on this dishwasher, but I
don't think it's possible to do it without pulling it out. It would
require a major contortionist to do it.

PlainBill