Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default cheap Asian text equipment

I was browsing eBay for cheap multimeters, and found this in the description
of the Vichy [sic] VC99...

"Dual-slop DC/AC converter..."

Must not be very accurate.

Anyone have opinions about Vichy products (other than the water)? It seems
Vichy is trying to suggest Vishay, a well-known manufacturer of high-quality
resistors.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:08:38 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I was browsing eBay for cheap multimeters, and found this in the description
of the Vichy [sic] VC99...

"Dual-slop DC/AC converter..."

Well, what can you expect from text [sic] equipment? ;-)

- Franc Zabkar
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:08:38 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I was browsing eBay for cheap multimeters, and found this
in the description of the Vichy [sic] VC99...

"Dual-slop DC/AC converter..."

Well, what can you expect from text [sic] equipment? ;-)

Slopey proof reading, for one...

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 25, 1:08*pm, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
I was browsing eBay for cheap multimeters, and found this in the description
of the Vichy [sic] VC99...

"Dual-slop DC/AC converter..."

Must not be very accurate.

Anyone have opinions about Vichy products (other than the water)? It seems
Vichy is trying to suggest Vishay, a well-known manufacturer of high-quality
resistors.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

I like the freebie Harbor freight coupon digital multimeters. For
what I need they are fine, and I don't have to treat it with kid
gloves like I used to do with the expensive voltmeters we had at Bell
Laboratories where I worked.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

You must have been there at the very end -- before 1984, a
fancy DMM wouldn't have been visible above the noise at Bell.

I worked at Bell Labs the Summer of 1970 -- a terrible mistake. Anyhow, they
spent money like water.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
I was browsing eBay for cheap multimeters, and found this in the description
of the Vichy [sic] VC99...

"Dual-slop DC/AC converter..."

Must not be very accurate.

Anyone have opinions about Vichy products (other than the water)? It seems
Vichy is trying to suggest Vishay, a well-known manufacturer of high-quality
resistors.

--
"We already know the answers -- we just haven't asked the right
questions." -- Edwin Land

I like the freebie Harbor freight coupon digital multimeters. *For
what I need they are fine, and I don't have to treat it with kid
gloves like I used to do with the expensive voltmeters we had at Bell
Laboratories where I worked.

You must have been there at the very end--before 1984, a fancy DMM
wouldn't have been visible above the noise at Bell.

When I was a postdoc at IBM Watson in 1988, a colleague was thinking out
loud one day about buying a fancy lock-in amplifier. *"Well, it's stupid
to buy one, and I probably don't need five, so I'll order three."
Bell had money to waste like that too.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

hobbs at electrooptical dot nethttp://electrooptical.net

They may have had a monopoly, but at least they knew how to give great
customer service, so I personally didn't care. Even knowing the
service cost more, overall, still didn't care. Interesting, eh?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

They may have had a monopoly, but at least they knew
how to give great customer service...

If they did, they lost the knowledge. AT&T is one of the worst companies you
could do business with. They just don't give a damn.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 4/26/2012 9:45 AM, Robert Macy wrote:
On Apr 26, 5:50 am, Phil Hobbs
wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote:

On Apr 25, 1:08 pm, "William
wrote:
[...]

Thanks to judge Green, we don't have that black corded dial phone
on the wall anymore.
Ok maybe a little facetious, but my parents had the same phone for
35 yrs, with a few extra turns on the ringer coil I added when a teen,
to trigger some unremembered project.
Mikek
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Apr 26, 8:11*am, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:
They may have had a monopoly, but at least they knew
how to give great customer service...

If they did, they lost the knowledge. AT&T is one of the worst companies you
could do business with. They just don't give a damn.

that was way back when, not now.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:
"Franc Zabkar" wrote in message
On Wed, 25 Apr 2012 11:08:38 -0700, "William Sommerwerck"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

I was browsing eBay for cheap multimeters, and found this
in the description of the Vichy [sic] VC99...

"Dual-slop DC/AC converter..."

Well, what can you expect from text [sic] equipment? ;-)

Slopey proof reading, for one...

Putt knot yore trussed inn spall chequers.

zero, and remove the last word.