Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Recoton/Optimus 900MHz loudspeaker transmitter repair?

Anyone come across common problems with this or a replacement source
please? It is an Optimus CLV-A900T and also seems to be known as a
Recoton with a similar number. It says on it CUSTOM MANUFACTURED IN
CHINA FOR RADIOSHACK/TANDY CORP but they deny all knowledge. There is
also a cat number on it which is 40-1372.

The one i have has just completely died: No light or symptoms when
plugged in. I checked on line and others seem to have had this
problem, though they cured it by buying a replacement.

There is one baffling point which is that there is what is known as a
'charge' socket on the back (as opposed to an AC adapter socket) along
with a charge light on the back. Unless someone knows better, I
checked inside and there doesn't seem to be any battery inside to
charge and potentially short the circuit when it goes bad.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012 07:20:55 -0700 (PDT), myfathersson
wrote:

Anyone come across common problems with this or a replacement source
please? It is an Optimus CLV-A900T and also seems to be known as a
Recoton with a similar number. It says on it CUSTOM MANUFACTURED IN
CHINA FOR RADIOSHACK/TANDY CORP but they deny all knowledge. There is
also a cat number on it which is 40-1372.

The one i have has just completely died: No light or symptoms when
plugged in. I checked on line and others seem to have had this
problem, though they cured it by buying a replacement.

There is one baffling point which is that there is what is known as a
'charge' socket on the back (as opposed to an AC adapter socket) along
with a charge light on the back. Unless someone knows better, I
checked inside and there doesn't seem to be any battery inside to
charge and potentially short the circuit when it goes bad.

"The CHARGER jack on the transmitter is for charging the
RadioShack PRO-100 Wireless Headphones (Cat. No. 33-1145).
Do not plug any other device into this jack"

http://support.radioshack.com/suppor...oc63/63209.pdf
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

No worries on that as the plugs are clearly different but is there
anything which can be cone to resuscitate this unit or obtain one
elsewhere?
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

If the unit is completely dead, then I would expect to be able to pin down
the cause of that with reasonable certainty, with just two or three
measurements. If you don't have a suitable meter, or are unable to determine
what those measurements should be, then no disrespect intended, but reviving
this item without at least schematics, is likely to be beyond your skill
level. Sorry.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Arfa Daily" wrote in
:

"myfathersson" wrote in message
.
..

wrote:
[...]

I scoured the web for a schematic for the speaker side of the system
several months ago. No cigar. I can probably trace out what I need when
I get around to it. I basically want to tap in an audio signal to use
them as standalone amplified speakers, which shouldn't be too tricky.

If the transmitter is totally dead, it's probably a power supply issue.
Step 1: check the wall-wart supply & make sure it's putting out the right
voltage. If so, there's probably something simple that died internally.
If the wall-wart is toast, it could have been killed by a shorted
capacitor inside the transmitter. That level of troubleshooting
shouldn't be too tricky without a schematic. Beyond that, it's a lot of
work to repair something without more documentation.

If the OP gives up on fixing the transmitter, I might be interested in
picking up a pair of extra speakers.

Douyg White

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

wrote:
[...]

anticipatedis is a Radio Shack
If the OP gives up on fixing the transmitter, I might be interested in
picking up a pair of extra speakers.

Douyg White

Are these speaker of adequately high quality to justify the level of
bothering you are employing? Or doesn't it matter all that much once
you have gone over a certain threshold with rear speakers in a home
theatre setup?

First thing I did was to switch AC adapters with those of the speakers
(same voltage) to isolate the problem to the transmitter itself.

Thanks for your message, t I sorta figured that if nothing happens
when you plug it in, it is probably a power supply issue 'cos before
you even start to get into circuits, that is PROBABLY what sends juice
to the LED:: This is a Radio Shack unit, one would have thought that
it was possible to buy a power supply somewhere? Surely easier than
trying to find a transmitted for a unit which burned out its
transmitter so often?